PDA

View Full Version : Another Chinese electric car

Richard230
03 March 2011, 1612
Another plug-in car made in China has been announced to be sold in the US. This one is made by Coda Automotive and is a 4-door sedan, which is proposed to go on sale later this year, according to an article written by Joe McDonald of the AP. Coda's CEO is Philip Murthaugh, a former chairman of General Motors China, joined Santa Monica-based Coda last month. He says that the all-electric Coda is based upon an existing IC car that meets US automotive safety standards. Coda will produce batteries in China with another partner and supply technology and engineering skills.

Coda plans to begin sales in California this year and expects to sell between 10 and 14,000 vehicles in its first 12 months. Mr. Muthaugh says that he is very confident that Coda will launch their vehicle in the second half of this year.

If it can meet this deadline, Coda could become one of the first companies to sell a Chinese-made car in the US. Coda has postponed previously announced sales time-lines, but Murthaugh said it should be able to stick to its latest schedule.

Coda says it has raised more than $200 million from investors, including $76 million in its latest round of funding that was announced in January.

Murthaugh said that Coda believes it can compete with larger rivals, such as Nissan, because its battery technology delivers a longer driving range and more consistent performance at low outdoor temperatures.

(I think I have heard all this before. ;) )

jpanichella
03 March 2011, 1626
Coda's been around for awhile I thought?

Richard230
03 March 2011, 1637
The article says that they have made announcements like this before - but have yet to actually sell anything. (Gee, that does sound familiar.) If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. :o

DaveAK
03 March 2011, 1642
Isn't this the guy that's doing a Phoenix University commercial? It shows him with one of the cars, but it's about him being a phoenix, or sumthin like dat.

EVcycle
03 March 2011, 1645
My Zap car is made in China......

Go figure.

Skeezmour
03 March 2011, 2116
I have been a passenger in one of them. It runs a smaller version of the UQM that Chip has on his bike. Car had nice power and overall I was impressed. We will see what production ones are like.

chef
03 March 2011, 2245
Looking forward to its arrival. Any EV competition for the complacent US automakers is a good thing.

Coda plans to begin sales in California this year and expects to sell between 10 and 14,000 vehicles in its first 12 months.Sure hope they can narrow down that range ;)