PDA

View Full Version : Summer project

DaveAK
03 March 2011, 2024
It's not a bike, but it does use these motors, so please humor me by not having Mike ban me. :D

This is going to be a very long drawn out process, so don't expect many updates. It's taken me a month to get the motors, and I don't expect the controllers until the end of this month. I'll be collecting parts as I get funds and maybe start construction around June time.

Like everything I do I don't have a clue. I make it all up as I go along and learn by my mistakes. :D Here's a basic CAD model of what I'm going for - subject to a lot of changes I expect.

harlan
03 March 2011, 2349
Will it turn?

DaveAK
04 March 2011, 1006
Will it turn?
I sure hope so!! Left and right sides are independently controlled for speed and direction. It should be able to turn on the spot theoretically.

DaveAK
02 October 2011, 1821
Since my bike is up and running, (and the riding season is now over), I've been back on this project off and on. It's gone through a few design changes and it's not going to be the behemoth in the OP anymore, but something much more svelt, (and cheaper!). It's still using the twin motors and controllers and today I finally got them up and running together, controlled by a VB program through an Arduino microcontroller. Using a single joystick I can control the motors idependently for both speed and direction. The motors have speed sensors which feed back to the Arduino and from there back to the PC. I don't have the speeds synced up right now, I'm going to have to do some reading up on closed loop algorithms to figure out the best way of doing that.

One thing that I found is that the Sevcon controllers are slower in reverse. Nothing in the manual about that, and it's not really an issue right now, but I kinda thought I might be able to run this beast in either direction at the same speed and not worry about a front or a back. Still, now the design has changed from the original this is probably moot.

I had hoped to have video to show of my bench test setup. It's quite frightening! The safety conscious of you would probably cry. :D I'm off work the week after next and intend to get a frame built and the motors mounted. I might even be able to get it moving around if all goes well. I'll make sure to beg, borrow or steal a video camera for that!

teddillard
02 October 2011, 1827
DYING to see it Dave. I have my notions of what it is you're up to. :O

FYI, any POS pocket point and shoot digital camera these days has video... not to mention any decent phone.

DaveAK
02 October 2011, 1835
DYING to see it Dave. FYI, any POS pocket point and shoot digital camera these days has video... not to mention any decent phone.
Unfortunately my POS digital is literally a POS, as an anology, metaphorically speaking. Anyway, it takes **** pictures because I can never get it to focus. I could try my wife's iPod Touch, but beyond that we got nothing. Apart for the Flip camera that I haven't been able to find for a couple of years.

DaveAK
02 October 2011, 1843
Here are a couple of pictures that are actually in focus. If I can figure out why maybe I'll take some more. :)

teddillard
03 October 2011, 0315
SWEET! Lovin' the joystick.

DaveAK
06 November 2011, 2346
So here's 'the thing' with motors mounted. Had a quick test run tonight but it needs a fair bit of debugging yet. I think I may have over done the speed. :D Had to de-tune it and I still kept crashing in to things. Got a lot more to do yet with regard to wiring etc., but I hope to mount the secret weapon this coming weekend. The wireless joystick control seems to work well, but also needs some work.

Sorry about the crappy focus on the first picture.

EVcycle
07 November 2011, 0431
WOOF!

That is a bit of HP there sir. I love lots of HP but not sure I would be "Mounting" it just yet.

We will need video! :):)

DaveAK
07 November 2011, 1308
Will it turn?
Right now the question is 'Will it go in a straight line?' It's proving a little touchy on the controls and my garage is too small for real testing.

WOOF!

That is a bit of HP there sir. I love lots of HP but not sure I would be "Mounting" it just yet.

We will need video! :):)
A lot of HP. Probably overkill right now, but you can't have too much of a good thing, right? ;) Video will be coming soon.

DaveAK
12 November 2011, 1549
On the left an 8hp 26" wide tracked snowblower fresh from blowing snow, and on the right a soon to be 19hp 29" all electric, remotely controlled from the comfort of my living room, snowblower. Yeah baby!!! :D

We've had about as much snow in the last week or so than we did all last year. I need to get a move on and get this thing finished. Still got to do some welding and stuff, but I'm getting there slowly.

Come spring I think I'll hang a twin blade grass cutting deck off the front and laze on the front porch as I cut the grass. :D

teddillard
12 November 2011, 1603
DAMN! SWEET, Dave!

larryrose11
12 November 2011, 1753
Awesome Dave!

DaveAK
12 November 2011, 1848
Let's hope it works as well as I envision it. It's all just guess work for the most part. :D

DaveAK
13 November 2011, 2259
I got the auger spinning today as a test. The motor I have is 1000W and will run at 36V. I had it up to 28V. I just don't know if this motor will stand up to the task when it comes to eating up the snow. I have serious doubts. Add to that the fact that I'm running dinky #25 chain and I really have my doubts! Still, it works in the garage, and I'll find out soon enough. Plan is to have it finished by the end of the month. I have a four day weekend for Thanksgiving so I'll spend most of that working on this thing. And giving thanks to the various makers of power tools and welding equipment. :D

Here's a pic of the temporary motor lash up.

Allen_okc
14 November 2011, 0632
Gees Dave - you might start a new fad here... really cool...

when you get it running, please do a video of it...

lugnut
14 November 2011, 0736
I got the auger spinning today as a test. The motor I have is 1000W and will run at 36V. I had it up to 28V. I just don't know if this motor will stand up to the task when it comes to eating up the snow. I have serious doubts.

You're going to need a much bigger motor for the auger. It will need a lot more power than the propulsion system.

teddillard
14 November 2011, 0808
You're going to need a much bigger motor ...
:)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8gciFoEbOA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveAK
14 November 2011, 0937
You're going to need a much bigger motor for the auger. It will need a lot more power than the propulsion system.
Exactly what I'm thinking, but I haven't found a motor that will fit the bill just yet. I'm also going to run it faster than the gas powered one in the hope that will improve things. I need to get it up to 36V and then push it out in the snow to see what's going to happen/break. :D

The drive motors are way oversized for this current design unfortunately, but gut feeling says they were about right for my initial thoughts.

DaveAK
14 November 2011, 1059
Another problem I have to address is the auger drive shaft. It's 17.2ish mm in diameter, which is a real odd ball size and doesn't match up to anything I can find. It's keyed but I haven't measured the key width. I think it might be 3/16" as I recall using the key from it for the drive motor sprockets. Anyway, I drilled out the sprocket for the auger with a 17mm drill hoping that it would be sufficiently over sized. It was a tight fit but I managed to jam it on there. It's not keyed or fixed to the shaft in any way other than being a tight fit. If I go with bigger motor I'll be able to get better sized sprockets, but I'm going to have problems finding something to fit this shaft.

DaveAK
14 November 2011, 1750
I found this one that fits the bill sizewise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260789425838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A couple of pitfalls though. I think it's a winch motor, and therefore designed for intermittent duty. Can I run it continuously simply by limiting the current? The other problem is that it's got a high RPM and I probably can't gear it down enough. If I reduce the voltage to slow it down can I keep the amps up, i.e. is it HP or amps that limits the duty on a motor like this? If I could find a happy medium where I could run this continuously and get good power from it then that's what I want. I've found a 3.5HP motor that's a good candidate but it's too big.

lugnut
14 November 2011, 1830
I found this one that fits the bill sizewise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260789425838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A couple of pitfalls though. I think it's a winch motor, and therefore designed for intermittent duty. Can I run it continuously simply by limiting the current? The other problem is that it's got a high RPM and I probably can't gear it down enough. If I reduce the voltage to slow it down can I keep the amps up, i.e. is it HP or amps that limits the duty on a motor like this? If I could find a happy medium where I could run this continuously and get good power from it then that's what I want. I've found a 3.5HP motor that's a good candidate but it's too big.
Not a wise choice IMO. Bet is has bushings instead of bearings. And would overheat in about 3 or 4 minutes on that auger with snow. Did you ever see the size electric motors on the ElecTrak tractors' snow blower attachment? Bigger than the traction motors you have on there.

DaveAK
14 November 2011, 1938
Did you ever see the size electric motors on the ElecTrak tractors' snow blower attachment?
Got any links? I'm searching on it now.

lugnut
14 November 2011, 2035
Got any links? I'm searching on it now.

I googled GE Electrak snow blower and found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hsH2cd72Os Looks like a 6.6" motor as were the originals. Maybe those are a bit wider than your auger. But still, I think you'll need 5 or 6 shaft HP to throw snow and maybe more.

DaveAK
14 November 2011, 2145
I googled GE Electrak snow blower and found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hsH2cd72Os Looks like a 6.6" motor as were the originals. Maybe those are a bit wider than your auger. But still, I think you'll need 5 or 6 shaft HP to throw snow and maybe more.
While I agree that my current motor is more than likely under powered I have a hard time in believing I need a motor that big. Still, I'll keep on the lookout for something better.

Right now this 3.5HP 36V motor (http://www.ebay.com/itm/320784551161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) is in the running, but it's 7.75" dia by 9.25" long. If I can find something 6" dia. around 3-4HP I'll be happy. I'm still going to try what I've got out in the snow, just for the hell of it. :D