PDA

View Full Version : What do you tell people...

podolefsky
06 March 2011, 1306
...when they ask about your elmoto? I get a lot of questions where ever I go, and the two biggest ones are (after "what the hell is that?")

1) How far does it go?
2) How fast does it go?

For 1, I say 40-50 mi depending on how fast I'm driving, which is pretty honest (I could say 60-80, but I that's only in theory.)

For 2, I'm forced to say something like "top speed is about 65, but it peters out around 60...0-40 it's really fast". That seems to leave people a little wanting. When they see my bike, I think they expect me to say it goes 100 mph and 0-60 in 3 sec or something...probably related to the other question I get a lot "Is that a Buell?"

We all understand the challenges of getting that kind of performance, but it's hard to explain to the average person on the street.

Maybe a good response is "it'll go 65, but it's really suited for city driving...0-40 it's a rocket. If I had another $10,000 I could upgrade the motor and batteries and it would go 100 mph and 0-60 in about 3 sec...want to sponsor my upgrade?"

DaveAK
06 March 2011, 1315
I'm thinking of replying "fast enough and far enough". :)

podolefsky
06 March 2011, 1321
I'm thinking of replying "fast enough and far enough". :)

That's pretty good. When people pull up to me at stop lights and ask, I just say "fast", and then I dust them :D

ZoomSmith
06 March 2011, 1952
"Fast enough to get me in trouble."

Nuts & Volts
06 March 2011, 2100
I say 40 miles and 65mph top end. I tell them it isnt for highway driving.

If they give you crap ask them how far they can go on 50 cents?? :)

chef
06 March 2011, 2125
If they give you crap ask them how far they can go on 50 cents?? :)Ha that's awesome :D Will have to remember that one.

Coninsan
07 March 2011, 0438
If they give you crap ask them how far they can go on 50 cents?? :)

Awesome :)

My version would have to be:

"What the hell is that?"
Me "An electric motorcycle"
"Why?"
Me "Because I can, its cheap and goes like stink"
"How fast and how far does it go?"
Me "It does 90mph and goes 80 mile on a 40 cent charge"
3.. 2.. 1.. *Clueless stare*

Believe it or not I've had to pull that one off quite a few times because my mom is so proud that she tells everyone she talks to that I'm building that thing..

podolefsky
07 March 2011, 1148
I like to say it gets equivalent of 400 mpg.

frodus
07 March 2011, 1210
So I had to take a little trip to Spokane, WA to see my great aunt, and on the way there, there was this guy next to me. I said something to him, he kind of grumbled, but then he turned and his hat said PLATT..... so I immediately asked if he was electrical and he proceeded to tell me all about what he does (maintenance at the oil fields in Alaska). During the conversation, the topic changed to alternative energies, electric vehicles and such, and it was completely driven by this guy.... so I talked about my bike with a goal of 50-60 miles range, top speed of 80-90 mph. Showed him pictures because he said BS (he was surprised people are doing this). We exchanged Facebooks and he went on his way. Great guy.

So on my way back, sat next to this guy talking about having to go take care of some right of way biomass removal on some Bonneville Power Adminstration power line lands. They had some trees that went down and he had to help work things out so they could get onto the property (not BPA owned) to remove it and sell to incineration stations to create electricity. So you can see where this went.... he was talking about how there's so much power, we need to start doing more electric vehicles and hybrids.... hahaha. So I told him "So, yeah, I converted my bike to electric, kind of in the middle of an upgrade right now" and it went from there.

He said "I'm gonna tell you something. I'd have to say, in 50 flights, you have to be the most interesting and engaging person that I've ever sat next to, thanks, it was awesome talking with you. Here's my card, when you start building bikes, let me know, I want one!" hahahaha

So, 2 different people, with the same desire to get off oil and see more electric vehicles, bring up EV's to me.... I think there's a global concsiousness about the world and where we need to go. This isn't the first time this has happened to me either.

Nuts & Volts
07 March 2011, 1219
So I had to take a little trip to Spokane, WA to see my great aunt, and on the way there, there was this guy next to me. I said something to him, he kind of grumbled, but then he turned and his hat said PLATT..... so I immediately asked if he was electrical and he proceeded to tell me all about what he does (maintenance at the oil fields in Alaska). During the conversation, the topic changed to alternative energies, electric vehicles and such, and it was completely driven by this guy.... so I talked about my bike with a goal of 50-60 miles range, top speed of 80-90 mph. Showed him pictures because he said BS (he was surprised people are doing this). We exchanged Facebooks and he went on his way. Great guy.

So on my way back, sat next to this guy talking about having to go take care of some right of way biomass removal on some Bonneville Power Adminstration power line lands. They had some trees that went down and he had to help work things out so they could get onto the property (not BPA owned) to remove it and sell to incineration stations to create electricity. So you can see where this went.... he was talking about how there's so much power, we need to start doing more electric vehicles and hybrids.... hahaha. So I told him "So, yeah, I converted my bike to electric, kind of in the middle of an upgrade right now" and it went from there.

He said "I'm gonna tell you something. I'd have to say, in 50 flights, you have to be the most interesting and engaging person that I've ever sat next to, thanks, it was awesome talking with you. Here's my card, when you start building bikes, let me know, I want one!" hahahaha

So, 2 different people, with the same desire to get off oil and see more electric vehicles, bring up EV's to me.... I think there's a global concsiousness about the world and where we need to go. This isn't the first time this has happened to me either.

That's so cool. I guess I better start talking more on plane rides :)

podolefsky
07 March 2011, 1513
Yeah, very cool. I've lost track of how many people ive met now because of my bike. Everyone is super interested and supportive. Although, if I want to get anything done, I have to ride my scooter , which is also electric but more stealth.

teddillard
07 March 2011, 1540
I was camping in Maine with my bike, and several times we passed this site with these two Harley guys and their trailers and all. My son rode by the guy at one point and he comes out and goes, WHAT the HELL is THAT! hahaha! So Ty starts going through the whole thing with him... it was kind of cool. I came over and told the guy to take it for a ride, which he eventually did, rooster tails and all. Definitely changed his perspective.

He first started with the "how far does it go on a charge" thing, and I was like, hey man that's not even the point- it's how much fun it is while it's going! By the time he got back from the ride he knew exactly what I meant.

billmi
08 March 2011, 1018
1) How far does it go?
2) How fast does it go?

1 - "It should go more than double the distance of my daily commute, and I can recharge at work."
2 - "That depends on the gear ratio I set up. In theory somewhere around 70mph, but I'm going to gear it to top out at 55, since I'm only going to use it in town where the top speed is 45, gearing lower will mean better acceleration."

And the follow-up that usually comes to question 1:

But what about when you need to ride further
I've got other motorcycles for that, but this will take care of 90% of my riding. One of the nice things about motorcycles is they are so much less expensive to tag and insure than a car, it's not much cost to have another for a specific purpose.

DaveAK
08 March 2011, 1033
That's the beauty of my bike. I expect to be able to do a whole weeks commute on a single charge. So that will be my answer.

podolefsky
08 March 2011, 1044
I've got other motorcycles for that, but this will take care of 90% of my riding. One of the nice things about motorcycles is they are so much less expensive to tag and insure than a car, it's not much cost to have another for a specific purpose.

That's a great point. It's so important to point out the purpose of these machines. They're not going to haul a ton of gravel either...

That said, I do want an elmoto that goes 80 mph, has a range of 200 mi, and recharges in 15 min. What's kind of amazing to me is that we're actually not that far from having that, and it's mostly been done by clever people in their garages. We know how to do it, basically...it's just a matter of improving the technology and moving to economies of scale where it is affordable.

So now I'm thinking it's important to point out what my bike is capable of, what I really expect it to do - but also where our dreams are headed and that we're getting closer and closer. I think we're really just waiting for a tipping point where the technology finally just starts pouring out.

DaveAK
08 March 2011, 1052
Oh, and much more important than how far and how fast is the fact that I built it myself. Maybe next year I'll improve on it and it'll go further faster. Who knows? That's all part of the fun of doing this stuff.

Coninsan
08 March 2011, 1244
Oh, and much more important than how far and how fast is the fact that I built it myself. Maybe next year I'll improve on it and it'll go further faster. Who knows? That's all part of the fun of doing this stuff.

Good one, I gotta remember that :)

__Tango
08 March 2011, 1457
"Fast enough to get me in trouble."

Lots of good answers, but this is my favorite. :)

ZoomSmith
08 March 2011, 1532
Full disclosure: Doesn't take much for me to get into trouble.