PDA

View Full Version : Hall Effect and a Alltrax AXE

EVcycle
06 March 2011, 1427
Anyone every connect a Hall Effect throttle to a Alltrax AXE Controller?

I an getting conflicting reports on if it works.

I see the setting in the programming, but that may mean nothing.

Thanks!

Ed

harlan
06 March 2011, 1537
Yes indeed.

Pin 2 Signal
Pin 3 Ground

Edit: I should add that it also really smooths out the throttle response, especially when holding the throttle steady. I'm sure Chef will chime in about the GPRS he bought from Jeff. Its got a hall effect on it.

EVcycle
06 March 2011, 1553
Cool, Thanks!

EVcycle
06 March 2011, 1616
MMMM Not working.....

magicsmoke
06 March 2011, 1645
Is it a 3-wire hall effect Ed?
If so, you most likely need to connect to +5 / GND / SIGNAL (usually RED / BLK / WHT)
I've also heard issues with some halls in that they don't truly go to zero and so some controllers won't enable 'cause they think the throttle's off the stop.

Rob

EVcycle
06 March 2011, 1649
It is a 3 wire and the AXE does not provide the +5 volts That I can find. I just thought I was missing something to get this running.

No biggie, I have a 5K I can use. I have had problems with the 5K units wearing out.

harlan
06 March 2011, 1737
Yes, you need to connect to a 5V supply. I used one of these:
Voltage Regulator (http://cgi.ebay.com/Voltage-Regulator-8-30-DC-input-5-Volt-output-/140513028915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b73aab33)

EVcycle
06 March 2011, 1802
But, is it worth it? I have heard good and bad on the hall effect units.

chef
06 March 2011, 1841
Guess I should reply after Harlan called me out :) JK's LiPo GPR-S has a HE throttle and it's nice. Consistent and smooth, haven't experienced any jumpiness or erratic response. He had to ride it in the rain to get it to the shipper and a non-HE throttle would likely have suffered corrosion on the contacts.
I've been meaning to interface to the Alltrax and can read whichever settings you're interested in.

noeletro
17 August 2011, 0818
I just tried using a Hall with an Alltrax 4844 and you're right, the throttle doesn't go all the way to 0v and therefore the controller thinks someone's twisted the throttle. Have you heard of any solutions? Thanks.

harlan
17 August 2011, 0927
I believe the controller has a little fudge factor built into it and should activate as long as it is close enough to zero. If it is not, a quick and dirty solution that should work is to put a diode in line with the signal to drop the voltage a bit.

Allen_okc
17 August 2011, 1041
is this going to be a problem with the 5 volt throttle i have Ed?

http://kellycontroller.com/throttle-hall-5v-twist-gripwuxing-p-134.html

frodus
17 August 2011, 1130
if you use an alltrax yeah, but if you use a controller that accepts a Hall effect throttle, then no.

Allen_okc
17 August 2011, 1223
im planning on buying Eds old controller - which means im going to have a problem unless i get a different kinda of throttle...

why would altrax build something that would not be variable...

frodus
17 August 2011, 1303
just use a potentiometer throttle.

harlan
17 August 2011, 1303
I used a hall effect throttle with an Alltrax without any problem.

EVcycle
17 August 2011, 1401
I just tried using a Hall with an Alltrax 4844 and you're right, the throttle doesn't go all the way to 0v and therefore the controller thinks someone's twisted the throttle. Have you heard of any solutions? Thanks.

Not yet.

The new Alltrax SPM units can be programmed to zero out the throttle. The older ones....not so much.

DaveAK
17 August 2011, 1413
Does it not have a programmable deadzone? My pot gives a small reading at zero throttle so I just set this in the controller as the zero position and we're good to go.

EVcycle
17 August 2011, 1516
Does it not have a programmable deadzone? My pot gives a small reading at zero throttle so I just set this in the controller as the zero position and we're good to go.

A Kelly will. The AXE Alltrax does not. (at least not my AXE)

jsantala
04 March 2014, 2255
You can program a custom curve into an AXE and get any voltage range working that way. picoamps.de will sell you a curve.

podolefsky
25 April 2014, 2032
I know this is an old thread - cross linking in case someone is reading, this appears to be the solution Ed was looking for:

http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?3548-Hall-effect-throttle-adapter

EVcycle
26 April 2014, 0230
Very Cool. Thanks for posting.

I just replaced another standard 5K pot throttle. May have to try this.

nedfunnell
02 October 2014, 1522
Since this thread has been necro'd once, I'll do it again. I am currently battling this issue. I fried the Chinese hall throttle that came with the bike, as-working, after rewiring with a new 5v supply. I ordered a new one and tried it, it died in the same fashion, so I figured I must be doing something wrong. I emailed Alltrax support with questions describing my setup. In short, I hooked up my ground/black wire from the throttle to pin 2, which their diagram calls for a black wire on, and put my 0-5v signal/white wire on terminal 3, which calls for a white wire in their diagram.

I have learned that their documentation is not terribly specific.

Their response:

Hello Ned,
The problem is that the 5 volt signal needs to go to pin 2 and the negative must be tied to B- of the controller.

I wasn't quite sure exactly what that meant and didn't want to sacrifice another throttle to it, so I requested more info:

Thanks for the quick response. I am a bit confused because the diagram on the AXE page says throttle black to 2, throttle white to 3. That's what I did, where the white wire on my throttle is signal, and the black wire is B-/ground.

To make sure I understand, I shouldn't do that, I should put my 0-5v signal wire to pin 2, connect the negative/ground connection for my throttle to B-, and leave pin 3 unconnected? Or should I connect my negative/ground from the throttle to 3 and also bond it to B-?

Thank you in advance.

They got back to me in four hours on the last email, so hopefully we'll have a definitive answer soon. Hopefully this will get resolved and this info will be helpful to someone in the future.

frodus
02 October 2014, 1603
How do you know they fried?

Connect the Signal output of the throttle to pin 2, connect negative of the throttle to pin 3 and connect your 5V supply to positive of the throttle. The 5V supply needs to use b- as its negative (which sounds like you are because your 12V DCDC is not isolated.

nedfunnell
02 October 2014, 1636
Got a response from Alltrax:

Hello Ned,
I assume the diagram you have has an inductive or resistor type throttle. When using a 0-5 volt throttle the signal goes to pin 2 and the negative goes to the B- bar on the controller. No other connection is necessary.

I will try that when my new throttle comes, on Tuesday latest.

Travis,
I bench tested the throttle before and after- in the first test, I was getting a 0.88-4.45v sweep, after I was just getting ~60mv all the time, regardless of position.

frodus
02 October 2014, 1645
So do you know if you've got a hall effect?

nedfunnell
02 October 2014, 1653
Yes, the throttles I fried were both hall effects. I opened them both up to inspect, and there is indeed a magnet and a tiny 3-prong SIP package device. No potentiometer to be found.

frodus
02 October 2014, 2052
Hmmmm. So you have tested the signal coming out.... So that's good.

Did you test the 5v supply in the bike fed off the 12v?

Something is shorting across the hall effect. Check that pin 2 has continuity to ground. Harlan said in his first post in this thread that pin 2 is signal. Pin 3 is ground. One of those should con eat to ground. Test with a millimeter set on ohms. Should be 0 ohms between b- and one of those pins.