PDA

View Full Version : Titling a bike

Nuts & Volts
14 March 2011, 1837
Anyone had any experience titling a salvage title bike? I am looking at a frame that has a colorado salvage title and I would like to title it in ohio. Im going to research some more but I just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks

podolefsky
14 March 2011, 2037
This page (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1186648383344) explains salvage titles in CO, and what to do once you've restored the vehicle. Not sure what happens in Ohio.

The best thing is to go down to your local DMV and ask. Be polite, but don't leave until you have a straight answer. If it's salvaged because the motor is blown, and you tell them that you're removing the motor, they might just retitle the frame.

The frame I got had a S Carolina title, but it was just a frame, no motor. I got it retitled and registered in CO, and all they did was read the VIN off the frame. I told them it was converted to electric, didn't have the gas motor anymore, and they said it didn't matter as long as the VIN stamped into the frame matched the original title.

podolefsky
14 March 2011, 2043
Oh, and they did ask me how many Watts it was. I said about 30,000. Their jaws dropped and they said "30 THOUSAND??!!!?" I said yeah, why is that a lot? They said they'd never registered anything over 4000 W.

Nuts & Volts
14 March 2011, 2111
Thanks man. So your frame was originally an out of state salvage title and you got a rebuilt title for it now? And you retitled it after you had it functional?

Im looking at an 03 SV650 frame, swingarm, exhaust, rear subframe, shock, with an 04/05 gsxr front end (missing the bottom triple, no tank, and no rear wheel). I can get it for $850. The front end with the frame is what interests me most. Miss I know more about motorcycle prices
I'll probably pass because I can find a salvage title sv650 frame back in ohio if i wanted (im in cali right now), Im just worried about finding a nice front end.

podolefsky
14 March 2011, 2122
Mine wasn't a salvage title, it just didn't have a motor. But yeah, I got it retitled in CO after it was built. Watch out, I had to pay a $100 penalty because it had been so long between purchase and registration. I told them it only started running a week ago, but it didn't matter. Again, check with your DMV.

$850 might not be bad for an '03 SV frame if it were complete, but with a swapped front end and no rear wheel it's a bit steep. Also, my experience buying from out of state was pretty bad - I'll never buy another bike without seeing it in person first.

But, if there's something in CO near Boulder / Denver, let me know and when I have time I could check it out for you. Only thing is shipping will add at least $200 for a complete rolling chassis.

Nuts & Volts
14 March 2011, 2148
I appreciate the offer sir. I believe I am just going to pass on this offer. Not really in the market yet, but didnt want to pass up a great deal. Back to craigslist :)

Oh and for reference the bike is in cali. The guy bought it off ebay from colorado. He took out the engine and was going to build up this frame eventually, but decided to sell it instead.

HighlanderMWC
15 March 2011, 1104
Oh, and they did ask me how many Watts it was. I said about 30,000. Their jaws dropped and they said "30 THOUSAND??!!!?" I said yeah, why is that a lot? They said they'd never registered anything over 4000 W.

Makes you wonder if they really wanted to know number of Wh. You also have me wondering how a 30kW burst feels...I've only peaked at 12kW.

podolefsky
15 March 2011, 1111
Makes you wonder if they really wanted to know number of Wh. You also have me wondering how a 30kW burst feels...I've only peaked at 12kW.

They wanted to know how it would compare to an ICE bike in terms of HP. Under 3000W (4 HP) is a moped, $5 registration and no license plates.

30 kW is 415A at 72V...and it feels damn good.