PDA

View Full Version : Nissan LEAF test drive

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 0904
Who-hoo, I was first in line this morning for a LEAF test drive at one of our local dealers. Yes, it drives as well as I'd hoped and better. It feels more like a "normal" car than any EV I've driven. One of the things I like is that the regen is not strong when you lift your foot off the go pedal. I'm not sure if there is any regen at all until you touch the brake pedal. This is in stark contrast to the head snapping regen of the mini-E. The LEAF is also deceptively quick. I was on a 30mph road and suddenly realized I was doing 50mph.

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 0923
I think Alex said that he'd take us all out for a spin when he gets his delivered. Right Alex? :D

Skeezmour
15 March 2011, 0940
It sure is a fun ride. Just need that many KW output on my bike :)

Let us know when the joy rides start.

EVcycle
15 March 2011, 0943
Very cool. I hope to do a test ride in one in a few weeks. :):)

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 1047
Ed - you will definitely enjoy it. As a hobbyist, there is a strange feeling not knowing every square inch of the vehicle. But at the same time, it's so nice to just jump in and appreciate the finish and refinement of a factory vehicle without having to do all of the custom work we do on our bikes. I could get used to that.

ZoomSmith
15 March 2011, 1246
I think Alex said that he'd take us all out for a spin when he gets his delivered. Right Alex?

Shotgun! Hah, I called it first.

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 1301
Damn. :mad:

EVcycle
15 March 2011, 1359

I must be getting slow!!!! Oh wait... I will be Driving!!! :):):)

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 1411
So everybody on here is really a highschool kid just pretending to be all grow'd up, right?

EVcycle
15 March 2011, 1434
Absolutely, Would not have it any other way! :)

larryrose11
15 March 2011, 1709
sorry to add seriousness to the H.S. shotgun fest but....

.... One of the things I like is that the regen is not strong when you lift your foot off the go pedal. I'm not sure if there is any regen at all until you touch the brake pedal. This is in stark contrast to the head snapping regen of the mini-E.

There is a reason for that. The mini-E uses the AC Propulsin system, which is set up for EV conversion. To have a decent regen system with brakes, complicates things.

OEM EV, HEVs use what is called series regen braking. This is a blend between 0 and full fiction torque, depending on battery charge power limits, traction limits (ABS interaction) and a bunch of other drivablilty **** that ALL have FMVSS issues.