PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Honda CB200T Conversion

russell
27 August 2010, 2056
Since the original post was lost with the ElMoto.net crash, here we go again.

See details at

www.dcbnet.com/motorcycle

The bike now has about 1300 miles on it.
Entertrac 602 hub motor, 72 volts, Thundersky LiFePo4 batteries, Kelly controller, 12 volt LiFePo4 battery for lights and the controller.

Regen is 5% city (maximum), about 1.5% on average. Top speed is about 50 mph. At top speed, it uses 110 watt hours per mile, around 80 watt hours per mile or less in city traffic.

It has 80 or so charge cycles so far. Each ride averages a bit under 20 ah, so the discharge is typically 50%, which should translate into very long battery life.

The suppliers at Enertrac, Kelly Controllers and Elite Power Solutions have all been excellent.

The bike has an LED tail light, LED turn signal lights, LED driving lights and a headlight converted to use an automotive 9004 bulb. The LED turn signals required I make an electronic flasher. See

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Flasher-automotive-or-motorcycle/

for instructions on how to make your own flasher. The old flasher did not work, as the LED bulbs do not draw enough current.

The driving lights are made from R2 Cree LED flashlight bulbs obtained from dealextreme.com. They outshine the headlight and together only draw 12 watts or less. They can be seen in daylight from at least a half mile away. The R2 lights fit into thin wall conduit, sealed at the ends with rubber chair bumpers. Real hardware store parts bin engineering.They are clamped onto the bike with conduit hangers. I will take a picture of this and post it later when I have some time.

The batteries are covered on the side by 1/16" Lexan, back side painted black, except for the Honda wing logo which was masked off, then painted white. The Lexan was shaped at the top to conform to the curve of the top of the old gas tank, then held in place with 1" side by 1/8" aluminum and black sheet metal finish screws and speed nuts. The Lexan will bend with the help of a heat gun.

That's it for now.

russell
31 August 2010, 1607
A picture of the LED driving headlamps is now posted at
www.dcbnet.com/motorcycle
at the bottom of the page. The components are described there.

Current accumulated usage is 1400 miles, 1600 amp hours, 85 charge cycles, 120,000 total watt hours, 86 watt hours per mile. That comes to 47% average depth of discharge on the batteries, 16.47 miles for the average trip. For now electric motorcycles are local commuter vehicles.

For a long distance trip, the bike would need a recharge every 30 miles. Figure 3 hours per cycle of ride&recharge. That is an average of 10 miles per hour. Fortunately I am 11.4 miles from work and can recharge there.