PDA

View Full Version : First (only?) South African ?

shaunmza
03 July 2011, 0923
Greetings

Wondering if anyone on the board is from South Africa?

Looking to do a build on an existing bike but researching prices on batteries first to determine viability

So far not so good, so am hoping someone who lives nearby can help out?

DaveAK
03 July 2011, 0928
KawaSpark is somewhere in South Africa. He's building a GPz900 with 23 Hipower 100AH LiFePO4 cells. What do you have in mind as a donor/performance/range?

shaunmza
03 July 2011, 0959
Long term plan is to build my own chassis which is very ambitious!

For now, I have a Honda CBR 150 in the garage standing idle

Its a tiny bike but am thinking that it would make a nice test bed, even if my reasoning is based purely on the fact thats its mine and paid for......

If I could get 80 Km hard riding (track days at a local circuit) that would be great

as for speed... ?? I am trying to guesstimate that based on other peoples posts, but seems as though anything over 80 or 90 mile an hour is not do-able (space and budget)

Budget is non-existent now, looking at prices, so not possible to say how much I want to spend if I have no idea what stuff costs

So right now still researching

Edit: Motor will be an Enertrac 602....

DaveAK
03 July 2011, 1040
Well with an Enertrac hub motor you've got good space for batteries, so you should get good performance. Just a case of running the numbers as you do your research.

KawaSpark
03 July 2011, 1131
Hey Shaun
Been reading lots of blogs especially from Dave as we have similar builds. Just really stumped at the mo. What sort of batteries are you thinking about using? Obviously LiFePo just which supplier. Keeping in mind everything you want is going to cost time, shipping and clearing. Avoid sea freight, very costly rather go air freight saver bet.

shaunmza
03 July 2011, 2352
Hey Shaun
Been reading lots of blogs especially from Dave as we have similar builds. Just really stumped at the mo. What sort of batteries are you thinking about using? Obviously LiFePo just which supplier. Keeping in mind everything you want is going to cost time, shipping and clearing. Avoid sea freight, very costly rather go air freight saver bet.

Have compared prices of hobbyking (cheap) to South African suppliers (horrendously expensive!!!)

Problem is if I try order more than 10 of the betteries that I think I will be using hobbyking refuses to complete the process due to size restrictions :(

South African suppliers I have looked at (via the web, no phone calls yet) seem to carry no stock, have a limited selection and are 3-4 times the price of hobbyking, not good in my opinion

I wonder if it would help placing a bulk order?

shaunmza
03 July 2011, 2359
Well with an Enertrac hub motor you've got good space for batteries, so you should get good performance. Just a case of running the numbers as you do your research.

Yup, have contacted Mark before, so have a rough idea as to what that will cost (shipping damn near doubles the cost)

Main reason for settling on the enrtrac is the space it will save in the frame

Btw thanks for the heads up re KawaSpark