PDA

View Full Version : VIR and AMA on the outs? No TTXGP at VIR?

Brammofan
11 July 2011, 1527
Just saw this at the VIR site:

Media Alert: July 11, 2011
"No AMA Pro Racing event will take place at VIR in 2011.
If circumstances are conducive in 2012, VIR looks forward to renewing its relationship with AMA Pro Racing."

I'm not sure what this is all about, but I predict that No AMA = No TTXGP for VIR this year. *I hope TTXGP find some other site or sites to have at least one other North American race this year.

Warren
11 July 2011, 1535
Crap! There goes my vacation.

electriKAT
11 July 2011, 1655
I just got an email from VIR stating the same. It did not register what that meant until I saw this thread. For what it's worth, the egrandprix.com website makes no mention of it yet.

jazclrint
11 July 2011, 1705
Crap, I got beat to the punch.

Here's a link:

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=45247

I don't know what bug crawled up VIR's a**, but they canceled it on the AMA. It really wouldn't surprise me if Azhar could put another round together, but I'm not gonna hate if he doesn't. It's real last minute. I posted a link to the article on the TTxGP's facebook page encase no one told them. I think the DMG would be together enough to be in communication, but the old AMA, not so much.

jazclrint
11 July 2011, 1837
TTXGP just posted on their facebook page. Pretty much what the AMA said, but I think they are going to find a new venue. They seem pretty shocked and they are really not sure of the ramifications. I think the ramification should be no AMA sanctioned race there ever again. Seems good to me. As far as I know we still don't have an AMA round at Indy, and then there's the new Texas circuit that should be ready in 2012 I think. So there are plenty of tracks.

teddillard
12 July 2011, 0342
Here's their afore-mentioned FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/TTXGPofficial

The statement:
"This came to us as much of a surprise as it was to the AMA Pro.

We need some time to figure out the ramifications for the TTXGP teams, fans and partners.

We are examining options and will respond in due course.

We remain committed to the success of our teams, partners and the engagement of our fans with TTXGP. We'll figure this out for the best outcome under the circumstances."

The more I see of motorsport racing politics, the more attractive Diplomacy and International Law seems to me... :cool:

"... but I think they are going to find a new venue." I'd be interested to hear why you feel this way, or if it's just a wild guess. There have been several flat-out statements that the TTXGP have made, both in print and personally, that have turned out to be more of a positive spin on a less-than-concrete situation, than based in actual fact in the recent past (notably the MotoElectra team appearing at Louden), and they're not even doing that here.

That's not to say it's not going to happen, just wondering if you have any information you'd like to share.

jazclrint
14 July 2011, 0026
Nope, just blind faith.

But is it just me or does it seem to you that one thinv Azhar does do well is get track time? It seemed to me that Portland and Loudon would have happened if more than one team had been ready to go. Also, this a realitively small event and doesn't require a big track and there are a lot of tracks around the country. It seems like you could slip into a club race weekend somewhere. Or maybe sliding in at one of the other AMA rounds like NJ. Hell, why not try going back to Loudon? The LRRS guys race well into September last I knew. In an interview with MotoPodcast Azhar said he'd like for one to be the lead attraction at an event. Maybe this is his opportunity? I guess,to me,there just seems to be a.good chance to find a new home for the last round, it'll just be a scramble. But the series is small,so it seems it might be doable.

teddillard
14 July 2011, 0230
Nope, just blind faith.

Oh, OK.

But is it just me or does it seem to you that one thinv Azhar does do well is get track time?

It's hard to say he gets track time when, what, three races are cancelled? Sorry, booking track time and getting track time are two different things. That said, I have no doubt they're committed to finding a venue and doing everything they can. I don't know if you saw my post (http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/ama-vir-catfight-ttxgp-caught-in-middle/), but, via Bikewriter, it's pretty clear that TTXGP was simply caught in the middle of a pissing match. Unfortunate, but it's how the race/promotion business is run, apparently.

teddillard
15 July 2011, 0737
Just found this, by RacerBoy (https://www.facebook.com/RealRacerBoy):

http://evmc2.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/racerboi.jpg

Should have included the TTXGP as roadkill in the background. :O

jazclrint
15 July 2011, 1352
That's awesome. lol

teddillard
29 July 2011, 0556
Nope, just blind faith.

I guess,to me,there just seems to be a.good chance to find a new home for the last round, it'll just be a scramble.

Any word on this? I can't find any mention of a new venue... I know they said there would be an announcement "in a few days" a few days ago.

lugnut
29 July 2011, 0651
Any word on this? I can't find any mention of a new venue... I know they said there would be an announcement "in a few days" a few days ago.

I heard Indy with MotoGP and Miller in Utah mentioned. But personally, I think the ball has been dropped and the NA TTXGP season is over, unfortunately.

Nuts & Volts
02 August 2011, 1951
Just heard the TTXGP has been moved to Salt Lake City, no east coast love.

I suppose I'll be waiting until next year to see a race...

ZoomSmith
02 August 2011, 2131
Where did you see that Salt Lake posting? The TTXGP site still shows "TBC"

Square Wave
03 August 2011, 0309
There was a Tweet. It's still not confirmed--just 80% certain.

teddillard
03 August 2011, 0402
There was a Tweet. It's still not confirmed--just 80% certain.

Where did you see that tweet? The only one I say was from TTXGP saying stuff would be announced on Thursday. No deets. Can you linky?

ZoomSmith
03 August 2011, 0801
Did they happen to tweet the date?