PDA

View Full Version : Battery Orientation

EZwryder
21 July 2011, 0935
I know I've read many times you can orient Lifepo batts in the upside-down position.

I recently read (can't recall where) that you should also avoid orienting them with the widest side down also.

Does anyone have an opinion on that?

DaveAK
21 July 2011, 0940
Upright, or on edge, (narrow face). I think they're your only real options.

electriKAT
21 July 2011, 0948
I can't see any reason to mount them upside down. And I don't think it's a good idea b/c the valve is on the top and electrolyte could leak out.

As for sideways, the explanation I've heard is this. Due to the orientation of the plates inside, if you mount them with the long side down, the top plate will get little or no electrolyte. By mounting them with the narrow face down, all plates still get covered with electrolyte. So yeah, what Dave said.

Got any updates for us Dale?

Allen_okc
21 July 2011, 1032
ive got my laying down, so far no problems - should i have them standing up?

DaveAK
21 July 2011, 1038
I think Dale's talking about the large format prismatic cells. Those Headways should be fine.

DRZ400
21 July 2011, 1041
I have mine laying down....so far so good. I also read this, but also saw many for examples 3+ years old with the cells laying down and no problems.

Allen_okc
21 July 2011, 1048
whew, i almost freaked out...

frodus
21 July 2011, 1058
whew, i almost freaked out...

headway's don't care. Prismatics are built differently.

Allen_okc
21 July 2011, 1101
Thank You Travis...

jpanichella
21 July 2011, 1243
http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?694-Thundersky-Battery-Orientation

Allen_okc
21 July 2011, 1309
im glad i didnt go with Thundersky batteries, because i almost did...

DRZ400
22 July 2011, 0724
Interesting. Calb Ca told me I could lay them down, mine are on an angle. I marked all mine, maybe I'll flip them end of season.

EZwryder
22 July 2011, 0733
Got any updates for us Dale?

Hey John, yes, I am building a few wood forms of the size of a few packs so I can play with different configurations. I did that before with cardboard, but my "cells" weren't all that accurate. So now I'm constructing some wood frames that will make more accurate models now, great spice racks and CD holders later. (If I cooked and still bought CDs.)

I'll be tearing down EBR 1.0 in a few days...kinda hate to do it, but it's too hot out to ride anyway. Then I'm going to hook up all my bats and BMS prior to putting it into the bike to make sure I understand how everything works and wires up.

But when I get done...7.2Kw of magic juice and a very willing motor. Yeah baby!

electriKAT
22 July 2011, 0836
Nice. I can't wait to see how it turns out.