PDA

View Full Version : Solar and Wind Expo looking for exhibitors

teddillard
24 October 2011, 1511
Via Chelsea Sexton: http://www.thesolarandwindexpo.com/Massachusetts.html

These guys are looking for EV folks to show- I think I'm in, anybody want to join me? I sent an email asking for details, if anyone's interested I can update.

ZoomSmith
24 October 2011, 1547
I have to ask: Are you Solar or Wind?

teddillard
24 October 2011, 1615
You have to ask? (All hot air, my friend, all hot air...)

Here's what they sent me:

Hello! Thanks for getting back to us so quickly.

We are the Solar and Wind Expo, a trade show for professionals and consumers that focuses on renewable energy. The part of renewable energy that has to do with vehicles is very important to consumers – so we’d like to exhibit some vehicles that are on the road now and don’t pollute our air with noxious fumes.

Details about the show are at our website: http://thesolarandwindexpo.com. Bottom line, it’s Nov. 4-6 at the Royal Plaza Trade Center in Marlborough, just west of Boston. We would put the vehicles right in the middle of the show. In fact, we have a “SunVolt” solar carport coming from SunLion Energy Systems. It includes a charging station. Wouldn’t it be great for consumers to see an electric car (or motorcycle) plugged in under a solar carport?

We have electric bike and Segway exhibitors too, by the way.

Our aim is to build demand and build a market for renewable energy. The buzz created by electric vehicles will bring people in and expose them to the technologies available now. Bottom line: That would be good for the environment, good for creating American jobs, and good for our Green economy.

Would you like to join us?

Elvia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elvia Thompson
Communications Manager
The Solar & Wind Expo 2011

TheSolarandWindExpo.com
TheSolarandWindExpo.Blogspot.com
PO Box 72, Pasadena, MD 21123

teddillard
27 October 2011, 1159
it's ON! Bike and I will be there Friday night, Sat and Sun: http://thesolarandwindexpo.com/Massachusetts.html

Ken Will
27 October 2011, 1249
I finally got my new car working, so , hopefully, I can stop by.

teddillard
04 November 2011, 0744
Got the bike to the show in the wee hours this morning, and going back after work until closing today. They were SO EXCITED to see the bike there... very welcoming, very accommodating, and The Sun Lion guys are setting up a charger next to it. I'm SO glad I got on board with this, I think having something like this really gets people thinking about what all this stuff is about and what can be done.

Adam's going to join me tomorrow, and I'll be there all day Sunday too. They have wifi so I can post some stuff when I get there.

and... they promised me BEER!

Nuts & Volts
04 November 2011, 0925
Very cool Ted,

One word of caution I have is leaving the batteries charging without you there may be a bit too risky. I realize you have cycled the cells pretty well and most likely have a good batch of cells. I would just hate to have some sort of incident with those batteries charging unattended. I assume you have taken precautions, but just wanted to voice my concern.

I'm sure all will be just fine and I hope the event is a success for the EV movement, keep up the good work Ted!

teddillard
04 November 2011, 0940
Oh no... they aren't actually charging. It's all for show, but thanks for the caution.

(Where the hell is a clip of "...it's THEATRE!" from SNL when you need it?)

billmi
04 November 2011, 0959
The r5e was only ACTING! Thank YOUUUUUUU!!!

Nuts & Volts
04 November 2011, 1040
Well then put on a good show why dont ya!

teddillard
04 November 2011, 1047
Just snuck this through the printer in the lab:

Free-standing banner, 6' tall, 2' wide on vinyl. heeeee!

teddillard
05 November 2011, 1350
First full day... the show is pretty small, only about 30 exhibitors, but there's been a pretty steady stream of visitors, and a LOT of interest in the bike. Here are some shots:

teddillard
06 November 2011, 1224
The latest EV grin!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/393095_2674147132419_1218396040_33242726_630467451 _n.jpg

teddillard
06 November 2011, 1547
That kid above was hilarious. Came back to the bike about four times, went all over the thing. Then he just sat cross-legged on the floor next to it, staring at it with a big smile. "I can do better" he said with a big grin. I have no doubt he will. :cool:

I got a bunch of other shots up on my blog if you're interested:
http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/fun-in-the-sun-ride-like-the-wind-sun-wind-expo/

I can't tell you how much fun this was... there were a whole bunch of people I talked to who seemed seriously interested in starting their own builds. The comment of the day, I must have heard it about a dozen times, was "I have this old bike at home that doesn't run..." The group who put the show on was totally delighted to have me there, they really felt they wanted to reach out beyond the normal solar and wind community... I'd encourage anyone in the areas their shows are at to contact them and join in. The show in Maryland, in May, apparently is their biggest one, and the head guy, George, wanted to host our ElMoto Speed Trials and even went on to talk about an autocross-type course in their large parking lot.

The other interesting thing to me was the interest from the hard-core bikers. One of the longest conversations I had was a Harley chopper riding guy- not one of those weekend warriors, but a true, hardcore biker dude with Sturgis tattoos. He was totally into it, and there were several others like him. It's a welcome surprise to me. I can talk bikes with anybody, but this group is the one that's the biggest stretch for me... but when we're talking electric, they're totally into it.

It was AWESOME. I can't say enough about it. If you have the chance to do something like this, don't hesitate, dive in!

larryrose11
06 November 2011, 1707
Awesome Ted.
Feels pretty good to be inspirational eh?
Should we expect a bunch more lurkers on the site, looking to convert their classic bikes, in R5e form?
That would be totally effing cool.

electriKAT
07 November 2011, 0906
I agree with Ted. I displayed electriKAT at the 2010 expo in Maryland. It was a good experience. Unfortunately, I didn't remove the fairings. If I wasn't there talking up the bike, no one realized it was electric. Oops!

teddillard
07 November 2011, 0949
... I displayed electriKAT at the 2010 expo in Maryland. ...

Sweet! So, was it at the Maryland Fairgrounds? If so... do you think that would be a good place to have our ElMoto Rally? George said it has a huge parking lot, and he was all over hosting the thing for us. What do you think?

electriKAT
07 November 2011, 1001
It was held at the Timonium Fairgrounds, which is the location of the MD State Fair every year. It is pretty big. I didn't pay much attention to whether it could host an event like that, but it would probably work. I know there's enough room. You'd just need to find a spot with good quality tarmac.

I am glad to hear that George was so positive about EVs. He really had his hands full last year, but he wasn't able to give us much attention at all. And he did not invite us back this year. So I was under the impression we didn't add much value to his event.

teddillard
07 November 2011, 1030
It was held at the Timonium Fairgrounds, which is the location of the MD State Fair every year. It is pretty big. I didn't pay much attention to whether it could host an event like that, but it would probably work. I know there's enough room. You'd just need to find a spot with good quality tarmac.

I am glad to hear that George was so positive about EVs. He really had his hands full last year, but he wasn't able to give us much attention at all. And he did not invite us back this year. So I was under the impression we didn't add much value to his event.

NICE! I'll see if he's serious about it. I think that would be a great central East Coast location. George was really enthusiastic about it, I suspect he was just a little swamped. From the little I talked to him, it seems like he's got a lot of balls in the air, trying to get this thing going. I know he said the Maryland event was twice the size this past year, and was hoping for the same thing in MA next year.

In my searching for a venue for the EM Rally, it seems like every place I can find that could handle it would cost a crap-ton of money to rent for the day- even "abandoned" air strips and such, so this would be awesome from that standpoint. Plus, it would help them out, they'd actually be billing it as part of their event (so I guess I'd have to wear my "dress" jeans/tshirt... :O)

Here's what it looks like:

About 3000' from top to bottom, from what I can reckon.

I'll continue the conversation with the boy and report back! Thanks for the info.