PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Motors sets electric motorcycle world land speed record at Bonneville

ElMotoMike
01 September 2010, 1220
By David Herron on September 1st, 2010
Published on examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/green-transportation-in-national/lightning-motors-sets-electric-motorcycle-world-land-speed-record-at-bonneville)

BREAKING: This week the Lightning Motors team is on the Bonneville Salt Flats for the yearly time trials, and on their first time run, with a speed of 162 miles/hr, they have set the AMA and FIM land speed record for electric motorcycles. They are making this speed attempt fresh from winning the TTXGP North American series two weeks ago at Virginia International Raceway.

Read more HERE (http://www.examiner.com/green-transportation-in-national/lightning-motors-sets-electric-motorcycle-world-land-speed-record-at-bonneville)

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1319
Nope!... Wrong!.... Michael Czysz is also out there and made a pass in the 159 range... Hatfield is shooting his mouth off to gain attention knowing he may potentially loose it any second now...

frodus
01 September 2010, 1355
159 is still less than 162mph

This time around it is AMA and FIM accredited.

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1454
no juiced
the hammer is about to drive the screw into Harfield
Kent

killacycle
01 September 2010, 1550
no juiced
Kent

no juiced
Kent

I can understand Kent's frustration and ill-will towards Hatfield. Kent holds the SCTA APS-omega record of 179 mph, yet Hatfield, competing in the identical SCTA class some time later, claims quite loudly that his 166 MPH APS-Omega pass set a land speed record. Definitely un-cool.

I should note that they typically let the slower vehicle go first in the competition, so they can have a chance to hold the record, even if it is just for a few minutes. I should also note that it isn't an official world record until you do it twice in the same event. I think this may be what Kent was referring to when he mentioned that Michael Czysz ran 159. The average of two runs is the record in LSR, not just the fastest run. I have no information other than what I read here, but it is quite possible that Michael Czysz is in a better position to get the better average speed for two runs, but that is complete speculation.

It is definitely jumping the gun to announce a world record before you back it up with the second run. It isn't a world record, just bragging rights.

Bill D.

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1606
michael just ran a 163.... and its not over yet.... no Dube my hatred to Harfield is not as big as the one i have for you but just to let you know i already gave hatfield a screwing to the FIM (more on this later) And yours will be comming Dube... bet on it.... Im the wrong guy to screw with Dube... i got a good saying i live with "screw me once and i'll screw you the rest of my life"

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1608
I
It is definitely jumping the gun to announce a world record before you back it up with the second run. It isn't a world record, just bragging rights.

Bill D.

Aint nobody better at bragging than you Dube!
Kent

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1635
Ed
I dont know about Shawn i have never met or spoke to him but you can bet your life if you do get to the level of competitive threat to Dube all the information or help will stop
Kent

frodus
01 September 2010, 1650
I'm gonna say this once, not just to Kent, but everyone involved in this.

CUT IT OUT!

This is a forum for people to share information, learn and push things forward. Negative attitudes, arguments, namecallling and unprofessional behavior will not be tolerated. If you have a problem, this is not the place to fight that battle. Take it to the track.

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1720
Travis
Just sharing the information that i know of personally
kent

frodus
01 September 2010, 1726
Take it offline. You're coming off as an enraged gorilla just looking for a fight. I have a very low tolerance for that stuff.

I'm just asking you to keep the drama OFF THE BOARD. Please respect that request. Stick to the technical stuff.

teddillard
01 September 2010, 1732
Totally with you, Travis. This is ridiculous.

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1737
Heres technical for ya... exactly as my first post.... Hatfield does not have an FIM record and the race is not done yet

frodus
01 September 2010, 1745
That I have no problem with, but watch it.

eracebike.com
01 September 2010, 1749
can i call Dube a doushebag?..... Please?... PLEASE?

frodus
01 September 2010, 1750
No. I don't think you're getting it.

Maybe a day away from the forum will help you.....

billmi
02 September 2010, 0758
Well said, Travis.

gasfreeearth
02 September 2010, 1017
Woah, what happened here. I thought trash talking was on those uneducated redneck car/motorcycle forums, not elmoto? What happened here? Did some of us lose some maturity over the weekend? Please look for it and get it back, please! We're not used to this here.

killacycle
02 September 2010, 1235
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/bub-speed-trials-lightning-motoczysz-preview/

It is back and forth. Hatfield has reported a 176 mph pass.

The high altitude really helps the electrics, while it tends to slow down the internal combustion folks by robbing them of HP.

I'm not sure what the AMA or the FIM rules are for a motorcycle to be in the "production" class, but in the SCTA there must be at _least_ 500 of them made. (I would guess that AMA and FIM have similar requirements for the "production" classification.) There is only one prototype Lightning and I don't know anything about what Czycz is riding, but I suspect that there are not yet 500 of them produced. Thus, I think the reporter likely is mistaken about the specific classification of the vehicles.

ZoomSmith
02 September 2010, 1317
I found this part interesting:

Also because of the slippery nature of the salt, Bonneville speeds are traditionally about 10% slower than compared to speeds on asphalt
I always assumed speeds were higher at the Salts.

killacycle
02 September 2010, 1323
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/bub-speed-trials-lightning-motoczysz-preview/

It is back and forth. Hatfield has reported a 176 mph pass.

The high altitude really helps the electrics, while it tends to slow down the internal combustion folks by robbing them of HP.

I'm not sure what the AMA or the FIM rules are for a motorcycle to be in the "production" class, but in the SCTA there must be at _least_ 500 of them made. (I would guess that AMA and FIM have similar requirements for the "production" classification.) There is only one prototype Lightning and I don't know anything about what Czycz is riding, but I suspect that there are not yet 500 of them produced. Thus, I think the reporter likely is mistaken about the specific classification of the vehicles.

Looked it up. AMA requires at least 500 units of the vehicle to have been manufactured, just like SCTA:
"2.9.2 Minimum Production Quantities
1) Supersport Manufacturers producing more than 75,000 motorcycles per year must produce 1'000 units for homologation. Manufacturers producing less than 75'000 motorcycles per year must produce 500 units for homologation."

killacycle
02 September 2010, 1327
I found this part interesting:

I always assumed speeds were higher at the Salts.

The race there because it is flat and there is nothing to hit for miles and miles and miles. Not many places like that on earth.

The traction is supposedly like packed snow or dirt. Always less than pavement.

eracebike.com
03 September 2010, 1359
zoom
your assumption is correct.... the fastest vehicle speeds have been recorded at bonneville...currently the fastest speed for a "set on" motorcycle is 273mph.... the fastest speed elsewhere has only been 263.....

Dube
you are commenting on something you do not know about and are incorrect.... have you ever stepped foot on the salt?

since i have been racing an the lakebed since 1986 i know the surface and how it changes..... afterall it is an evaporation basin... for the most part during racing season the surface is so hard you cannot drive a metal stake in the salt for your tarps