PDA

View Full Version : Electric Multicopter

teddillard
02 November 2011, 1211
So. Whaddaya think of those "toy RC batteries" now? :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L75ESD9PBOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ARC EV Racing
02 November 2011, 1435
That's awesome! I feel like such a fool for still using wheels in our builds...

larryrose11
02 November 2011, 1513
Lippo batteries are hella powerful. You are going to need to keep us up on the durability and such of your pack.

mpipes
02 November 2011, 1751
Ohhhh no no no no no this gives me way too many ideas! :) You could actually control your flight path by leaning your bodyweight, like a Segway...

Or use collective pitch rotor heads and you could have some real fun with 3D maneuvers :D

DaveAK
02 November 2011, 1838
What's with all the toy RC battery comments Ted? Someone been giving you a hard time? Need me to have a word with them?

teddillard
03 November 2011, 0341
What's with all the toy RC battery comments Ted? Someone been giving you a hard time? Need me to have a word with them?

...there will always be those who resist progress. :D

Actually, this makes an important point on batteries. When I started with this madness, Thundersky was all the rage. Headways were pretty dicey to figure out, but because of several of the guys here and on ES, they became, in a very short time, manageable and reliable. Lipo has gone through some intense development in the last year, and a lot of guys have worked really hard to figure them out, and, from where I sit, they're where it's at, and are only going to get better.

When I first started my VF500F build it seemed like two things were going on. First, I had a lot of work and learning to do before I needed to drop cash on batteries. Second, the development of battery technology was moving so fast it didn't make sense to make that investment until the very last minute. So I bought a really small SLA pack that was about the same size and weight as the biggest lithium pack I'd want to run, and tried to design the thing so I could switch out to lithium when I got good and ready.

I can't tell you how glad I am I did it this way, and I can't stress too much how important I think this advice is to new builders. Keep your battery mounting flexible, and wait until the last bolt before you buy batteries. Even in six months, the entire landscape may change. This is a lesson hard-won from the digital photography business in the early 2000s.

As of May or so, I sprung for the hard-case lipo packs from Turnigy, something I'd never have done two years ago. Two years ago I would have bought Thundersky and I'd be trying to sell them, along with my charger and BMS.

billmi
03 November 2011, 0534
Ohhhh no no no no no this gives me way too many ideas! :) You could actually control your flight path by leaning your bodyweight, like a Segway...

Or use collective pitch rotor heads and you could have some real fun with 3D maneuvers :D

No need for either. Those brushless outrunner motors respond to speed changes very fast, and by putting half counter-rotating the other half, transferring power between the two even provides yaw control.

Back around 2000, I brought a Draganflyer (RC quadrotor chopper) to do airial photography, and this is just the same concept scaled up dramatically.

skyclark
03 November 2011, 0630
I love the clever design of the shock absorbing foot. The ball is a simple and elegant solution.