PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Zeros leaked

cycleguy
06 November 2011, 2044
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/2012-zero-motorcycles-leak/

seanece
06 November 2011, 2103
Very nice. And decent numbers too. Plus actual production should be happening very soon. Good stuff Zero!

ElMotoMike
06 November 2011, 2106
This should be interesting. I have always liked Zero, but the style of their bikes never impressed me. Looking forward to what they have to show us.

Skeezmour
06 November 2011, 2204
Great to hear some good news.
Keep going Zero.

billmi
07 November 2011, 0602
I followed a link within that article to another about the Empulse being further delayed. It bgean with the phrase "Our good friend Ted Dillard from The Electric Chronicles got an interesting email..."

teddillard
07 November 2011, 0758
I followed a link within that article to another about the Empulse being further delayed. It bgean with the phrase "Our good friend Ted Dillard from The Electric Chronicles got an interesting email..."

Me and Jensen go 'way back... :D

teddillard
07 November 2011, 0828
yeah. un huh.

Richard230
07 November 2011, 0850
Now that is exciting news, especially for someone who has been waiting for well over a year for the Empulse 10.0 that I ordered to arrive. Plus, my nearest IC motorcycle dealer also sells Zeros off the floor.

Zero sure makes huge improvements to their models every year. But that can't do anything for the resale value of the 2010 and 2011 bikes. Too bad, but I guess that is the price of progress with an emerging technology.

lugnut
07 November 2011, 0946
Can someone teach all of these reporters the difference between KW and KWH PLEASE!

He got it right, didn't he? What am I missing? (I see a typo at the bottom that says KW, but other than that...)

I think he corrected it. I recall my first reading seeing no KWH units.

Skeezmour
07 November 2011, 1027
Reporters rock!

teddillard
07 November 2011, 1041
... is still incorect at the ...

Should we hold you to the same standards of grammar, Skeez? :D

Anyway, I'm fairly certain he knows the difference...

Skeezmour
07 November 2011, 1102
Should we hold you to the same standards of grammar, Skeez? :D

Anyway, I'm fairly certain he knows the difference...

He sure does.

teddillard
07 November 2011, 1155
Of course I should be held to the same standards. Difference is I'm not being paid to write. My spelling sucks and spell check doesn't like me right now :)

I just see this same error over and over again. Makes me wonder if they really do know the difference.

Well, Jensen isn't "being paid" to write, actually, in the sense that he's basically a blogger who works his ass off and has built the site up to the point where it does, in fact, pay his bills. The key is, it's just him, and he doesn't have an editor.

Now, as a man who needs an editor, I can appreciate his hard work. When I send a story off to Home Power, for instance, I count on my editor, as well as a tech editor and a few other eyes seeing it before it goes out. It's nice to have that backup, and Jensen nor I do, on our sites. I can assure you he does know the difference, he's remarkably astute regarding electric motorcycling. I can, pretty much, also assure you that he put that post together in the wee hours of the morning with about two hours of sleep, so he probably slipped.

But if you feel the need to educate him, I'm sure he'd appreciate an email, he's very accessible. ;)

The point is, he's trying his best, as are we all. Sorry if I sound defensive, but, well, I'm a little defensive about that. :p

Whatever. Yay for Zero. It does look like they're serious about being a real motorcycle company.

ZoomSmith
07 November 2011, 1305
Clearly wanting to avoid the vaporware nomenclature thatís begun to plague rival Brammo, Zero Motorcycles has production set to start next month

Ouch. That's gotta sting.

skadamo
08 November 2011, 0108
But if you feel the need to educate him, I'm sure he'd appreciate an email, he's very accessible. ;)

Yeah, Jensen knows his stuff. I emailed him yesterday about the kW vs kWh thing yesterday and he replied with...

Thanks John. Missed that one as I was getting on the plane.

So yeah Ted, you pretty much nailed it. :D He was going from MotoGP at Valencia to EICMA. Rough life.

teddillard
08 November 2011, 0348
Just got this:

We are proud to introduce our game changing 2012 electric motorcycle line. Without question, this is the largest step anyone has ever taken in production electric motorcycle technology.

Here are just a few of the incredible new features:
You can now ride up to 114 miles on a charge
Revolutionary new battery technology will allow you to travel up to 308,000 miles on the original power pack
All the street models let you ride without ever worrying about any routine powertrain maintenance (imagine that)
Regenerative braking to maximize your range
Top speeds of up to 88 mph and more power for each model
Sophisticated and striking new design elements that give the lineup a new look that will draw eyes and conversations where ever you go

With the high level of anticipated demand for our 2012 model line, we want to give you a head start in placing your pre-order with a dealer near you. To see exciting new videos, photos, read about the new features and to reserve a 2012 model, please visit our website at the link below:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

The entire lineup will be hitting dealerships this February. However, if you'd like to make this an early holiday present by placing a pre-order, we can send you a little something to unwrap.

...and thanks, John. :D

lugnut
08 November 2011, 0547
Just got this:
......You can now ride up to 114 miles on a charge
...and thanks, John

I like the looks of the model S. But 69 wh/mi ????? I guess they do say "up to" 114 miles.

teddillard
08 November 2011, 0715
... Rough life.

Yeah. Dunno about you but "... writing on 40hrs with no sleep"* ain't my idea of any life. 'Course, I'm a bit older than he is... :D (... and air travel? Simply barbaric. Flinging people from continent to continent burning dinosaurs.)

*quote from his note to me

Richard230
08 November 2011, 0837
I received the same message from Zero. The certainly are making some big claims, considering the performance of their current models. Right now I am getting a floating feeling as the vapor lifts my spirits - as I anxiously await the 2012 models to be shown, built, distributed, sold and tested by someone who is awake and sober. (Like Ted?)

Richard230
08 November 2011, 0926
More details and photos here:

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/news/zero-motorcycles-brings-more-miles-to-new-models

jpanichella
08 November 2011, 1125
It looks like they did a bad job copying Noah's bike

SplinterOz
08 November 2011, 1509
I love the bike and would buy one in a heartbeat... if only they didn't have the motard seat. Just give me a slightly lower, slightly wider seat.... (maybe I am getting old)

teddillard
08 November 2011, 1522
I keep wanting to make (surprise!) a cafe bike out of one. :D

ZoomSmith
08 November 2011, 1540
Love the rims on "S" model, but I'm still waiting for the "R" version.

harlan
08 November 2011, 1643
I keep wanting to make (surprise!) a cafe bike out of one. :D

Where do you get one of them cafe kits ;)

teddillard
08 November 2011, 1659
Do you have 'em now Harlan?

edit: oh right. played. :O

Warren
09 November 2011, 2022
Remember Luke, the crazy kid, over on ES, who built the 80 mph bicycle with RC packs? The one he ran at Leguna Seca?

http://www.youtube.com/user/liveforphysics532#p/u/3/KX-ki3pP8YU

Well he is the battery pack designer for the new Zero.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33596

Skeezmour
09 November 2011, 2037
No kidding on the TON of work involved in making this stuff happen. Congrats to them on surviving this portion of the evolution.

Next week, start it all over again and make it cheaper, lighter, stronger, more powerful and easier to produce. Sounds easy right?

:)

Richard230
10 November 2011, 0850
The Zero's latest technical improvements are really impressive. Just about every level of performance has doubled within only one year. I wonder if they can keep up that sort of development in future years? I sure hope their claims hold true in the field.

What bothers me though, is that this is a lot of new technology to put in a motorcycle in just one year. Having been an "early adopter" more than once, it has been rare that the first year production of any new vehicle or technology hasn't suffered a lot of problems. My experience with several new BMW models come to mind. (My first-year BMW F650GS has had 7 recalls and at least another 7 equipment/parts revisions, as an example.)

The key to surviving the first year is to be sure you have access to a good dealer and that the company is ready and willing to stand behind their products and make repairs and alterations quickly and adequately. That was something that really impressed me about Brammo. They seemed to provide excellent after-sales customer service. If only their development and production program was a rapid as Zero's.

liveforphysics
10 November 2011, 2001
Remember Luke, the crazy kid, over on ES, who built the 80 mph bicycle with RC packs? The one he ran at Leguna Seca?

http://www.youtube.com/user/liveforphysics532#p/u/3/KX-ki3pP8YU

Well he is the battery pack designer for the new Zero.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33596

Crazy kid you say??? :-) I resemble that remark. :-) After reaching that terrible age with the 3 leading the way, I do appreciate the kid part. :-)

I don't know who banned me from this site, seemed kinda strange because I had never done anything but occasionally lurk and not post. Maybe an auto-member-prune thing?

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the kind words. We had a killer team, and I poured my soul into the pack development to be sure we could reach the 100mile production bike target. Turned out, I over-shot by a bit and we hit 114miles on the EPA UDDS standardized range testing, which made a year of 12hrs days and lots of working weekends feel worthwhile.

The bikes put a big fat smile on your face to ride now. :-)

Remotecontact
10 November 2011, 2013
Luke! Great to see you over here man!!

Warren
10 November 2011, 2014
"The bikes put a big fat smile on your face to ride now."

Still needs a dustbin fairing. (inside joke)

Nuts & Volts
10 November 2011, 2015
I for one can not wait to test ride one of these come next spring! Maybe i'll talk my old man into buy one for commuting to work and everywhere in between.

liveforphysics
10 November 2011, 2023
"The bikes put a big fat smile on your face to ride now."

Still needs a dustbin fairing. (inside joke)

I do like the idea of a dustbin fairing on paper. In practice though, every bike I've ever tried that used one felt extremely anemic and delivered a big glass of disappointment when you twisted the throttle. I love blazing past the dustbin faired bikes on my electric bicycles. My latest bicycle does 0-60mph in <3.5second (checked with DAC, 100hz update GPS, and radar testing), and easily does over 100mph if your sack is of the sufficient size to keep your wrist twisted downward (I was blessed with one that is.) It feels great to be pulling 600 amps of a 116v pack on a bicycle, and have minimal voltage sag and never even get the cells warm despite the battery being the size of a shoebox. :-)

Nuts & Volts
10 November 2011, 2034
I do like the idea of a dustbin fairing on paper. In practice though, every bike I've ever tried that used one felt extremely anemic and delivered a big glass of disappointment when you twisted the throttle. I love blazing past the dustbin faired bikes on my electric bicycles. My latest bicycle does 0-60mph in <3.5second (checked with DAC, 100hz update GPS, and radar testing), and easily does over 100mph if your sack is of the sufficient size to keep your wrist twisted downward (I was blessed with one that is.) It feels great to be pulling 600 amps of a 116v pack on a bicycle, and have minimal voltage sag and never even get the cells warm despite the battery being the size of a shoebox. :-)

Haha this is too good. Who needs a dustbin when you got a large sack ;D I'm with Luke, dustbin is awesome for range, but if your like me range is easily satisfied with even the smallest battery pack. I'm interested in going so fast I have to change my pants afterwards. Point being dustbin isn't the solution for everything and would most likely make an electric vehicle an even harder sell to most consumers. Naked bike just ooze sexiness

seanece
10 November 2011, 2052
Not to hijack this Zero thread...... but I keep reading the word "bicycle" in your post liveforphysics.......... you may be my bat-sh!t insane hero.

liveforphysics
10 November 2011, 2200
Not to hijack this Zero thread...... but I keep reading the word "bicycle" in your post liveforphysics.......... you may be my bat-sh!t insane hero.

Are you also a fan of bicycles made for bringing pain?

This 650amp agni 95R setup I made for a hill-climb bicycle was good at bringing pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsMDsT8siU

But it was kinda under powered... So we did a 1200amp 120v setup. :-) Then we built a new frame and put that setup on a Perm132 for a bicycle race, it smoked in about 2 minutes, but ripped acceptably hard before melting the stator into a pile of molten goo. :-) Then we ran the 1200amp controller on a twin Agni dirtbike with street tires, which a number of you guys saw at laguna seca, it took 1st in some class). Then I ran my BLDC + 500amp Kelly 120v setup on another custom bicycle I made and won 3rd in the custom/prototype motorcycle class, only losing to Mission and Lightning (IIRC). Then we upgraded that to a motor twice as powerful, and fit a size 6 sevcon running at 650amps and 116v. This bike could only get about 10miles out of a rear tire though... but it was sure a fun 10 miles! :-) I can't wait for a chance to race it against Mission or Brammo's race-only superbikes in an 1/8th mile drag race at an event sometime. It's pretty fiercely snorty, I've nearly wrecked her a handful of times, and she always leaves me shakey after a good flogging. Keep in mind my normal bike is a 190bhp built 1080cc GSXR 1000 superbike, so when I say something is fast, it means accelerating is a balance of controlling wheel spin while trying to keep the front down as it power wheelies up past 60mph, where you can finally go full-throttle.

But the best part is, it's an electric-assist bicycle, so no registration, insurance, lighting crap, and you can take short-cuts through parks and ride bike paths and sidewalks and ocean boardwalks and places that motorcycles are all forbidden. No inspections, no licence required, no plate number for people to write down and report. Bicycles will always have a strong place in my heart for these reasons. However, if you have to get somewhere quickly, like actually arrive alive without being a bloody shaking mess, motorcycles are a much better choice if it's a long distance, or if you're sane.

And if you want an electric motorcycle... I can't personally think of how you could make one yourself that beats the range or performance of the 2012 Zero lineup with-out spending a lot more money than they cost to buy.

SplinterOz
10 November 2011, 2251
And if you want an electric motorcycle... I can't personally think of how you could make one yourself that beats the range or performance of the 2012 Zero lineup with-out spending a lot more money than they cost to buy.

Luke I kinda have agree with you. However for us motorcycle nuts style is a big thing and each one of us a different style. From Cafe racer, crotch rockets, chicken chasers to choppers we all want something different.
I do like the specs of the Zero and if I had not already committed to my current build I would almost certainly buy one. But what I really want is an electric bike that looks like a small or mid sized sports bike.

I think the frame of the Zero could be used, with different bars, forks and rear sets the seating position could be right then a small bikini fairing. If they had that I would buy one even though I am in the middle of a build.

Allen_okc
11 November 2011, 0702
hows it going liveforphysics and welcome - what i would say to bikes is its all good, we are all here to come to the same conclusion, alternative transportation using electrics... the video demonstrates a very powerful bike, congrats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsMDsT8siU

podolefsky
11 November 2011, 0832
It looks like they did a bad job copying Noah's bike

First Lito, now Zero...will these fools realize I'm the OG??

I like the look of the S...interesting street fighter / DS mix. maybe a bit too much DS? Might grow on me....

I approve of the red wheels. Although, that's soooo last month... ;)

Warren
11 November 2011, 1048
Luke,

I know going dangerously fast is an adrenaline rush. I just hope your "sack" atrophies enough so your brain will be around another twenty years to continue contributing to the future of sensible transportation.

Warren

teddillard
11 November 2011, 1053
... your sack is of the sufficient size to keep your wrist twisted downward (I was blessed with one that is.) ...

Pictures or it, uh, didn't...

wait.

wut?

:O

jpanichella
11 November 2011, 1101
First Lito, now Zero...will these fools realize I'm the OG??

I like the look of the S...interesting street fighter / DS mix. maybe a bit too much DS? Might grow on me....

I approve of the red wheels. Although, that's soooo last month... ;)

I do understand that it's a model year upgrade, and they're using the same frame and most of the same parts as previous models. But with such a big upgrade in the battery pack and abandoning the Agni, you'd think they would do sexier bodywork.

Warren
11 November 2011, 1119
Styling is completely subjective, and right up there with hats and hair styles in importance. The fact that it can do my commute pretty comfortably is way more important to me.

podolefsky
11 November 2011, 1131
Seems like they're borrowing from the latest street fighter trends...FZ8(ish) headlight, Speed Triple "shoulder fairings".

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/images/stories/2011/News/Zero/Zero_S_005.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/_/G/0/-/2011-Yamaha-FZ8-l-action.jpg

http://www.indomotorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011_triumph_speed_triple_03.jpg

Richard230
23 November 2011, 0829
I just noticed this somewhat delayed description of the Zero display at Milan. The text in the main article left something to be desired, but I found the photo of a new Zero with saddle bags and a top box installed interesting as luggage for electric motorcycles has been hard to come by in the past.

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/galleria/zero-motorcycles-gamma-2012-01/8