PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vicor ... or?

podolefsky
12 November 2011, 2029
I got my bike running...yay!

But, the Vicor DC-DC doesn't seem to be working. I've got 80V to the input pins, and I get 0V read on the output. I tied +sense to +out, -sense to -out (as specified in the manual). Trim is open. Gate- is open....so it should be working.

Just wondering if there's something obvious I might have overlooked.

Some more info: I installed the bus mod, which I soldered. It took a while to heat up the bus mod terminals to solder, so there's a chance I damaged the Vicor in the process. Would be nice if I was just missing something simple though...

DaveAK
12 November 2011, 2139
I know I had to put a capacitor in somewhere when I was switching the unit using the Gate pin. Otherwise it would shut off and I'd have to reset it by removing all power and reconnecting.

podolefsky
13 November 2011, 1132
Dave == awesome.

I just did a hard reset (disconnect red wire, reconnect red wire). Problem fixed. Looks like I'll need one of them capacitor thingies.

DaveAK
13 November 2011, 1349
Good. My work here is done.

EZwryder
14 November 2011, 1349
Some more info: I installed the bus mod, which I soldered. It took a while to heat up the bus mod terminals to solder, so there's a chance I damaged the Vicor in the process.

What is the bus mod? Curious about that.

I wish they had a "consumer" version of this chip with screw terminals. I didn't care for trying to solder to those pins.

DaveAK
14 November 2011, 1354

I wish they had a "consumer" version of this chip with screw terminals. I didn't care for trying to solder to those pins.
They do have a version with tabs already soldered on. That's what I got direct from them. Can't rememeber the exact model or part number that indicates the option.

podolefsky
14 November 2011, 1359

That's what the bus mod is. You can get it preinstalled, or order one (about $30) and install it yourself. Installing requires some fairly heavy soldering, but I was able to do it with my cheapo $25 soldering iron.

I also got a heatsink from Vicor, it was about $7. The heatsink, converter, and bus mod all bolt together very nicely.

http://www.vicr.com/webdav/site/com.vicor.www/shared/images/products/brick/accessories/205%20X%20220%20pixel%20images/prd_205_220_busmodsmaximini.jpg

Allen_okc
14 November 2011, 1403
Congrats Noah on getting your machine running - Hurray!!!