PDA

View Full Version : New here but incredibly interested in racing an electric bike!

LukeLucky
15 November 2011, 1538
I'm sure that's the same story for many that join the forum these days. I do have a unique characteristic of racing the full AMA Pro Road Racing Supersport West season for 2012. Roadracing World just put out an article about my story of going from not having a race license ever last Sept. to qualifying for an AMA event and taking a top 15th finish (out of 40 who showed up that weekend) on a track I'd never ridden.

I have no expectations regarding someone just giving me a ride on their electric bike, but I'd be very excited to do some testing, reviews, or any other way I could be involved. Being new here, could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to link up with some of the teams (especially any looking for a rider?)

Thanks!

Skeezmour
15 November 2011, 1638
Welcome to the fun LukeLucky. Many electric bike race teams and supporters are represented here so you should find a lot of good info.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything at all.

jazclrint
15 November 2011, 1720
Wow, that's some serious racing credentials in short period of time.

Right now, as the series is new, there aren't a whole lot of teams, and I don't know of any seats being available. Here are the major teams I would hit up to see if they either want to race in the TTXGP's NA series, or add a second bike, or are looking for a young rider such as yourself:

Brammo
MotoCzysz
Lightning
Zero
Mission

Many of these folks are not really considering a second bike, but if you can bring some sponsorship dollars their way they may reconsider. I recommend you listen to my interview with Thad Wolff in my podcast because I ask him a question specifically aimed at folks such as yourself. This is a really expensive sport right now. I am not sure what your budget was for your AMA West campaign was, but it would more than likely be more than that.

At this point in the technology and youth of the series and sport, you are much more likely to go racing by actually building your own team and bike.This is where you have to chose a class. There are 2: TTX75 (limited to 7.5kWhr packs), and TTXGP (limited only by weight). In TTXGP you are going up against basically MotoGP and SBKs of the electric world. The "factories" ran anywhere from 86 to just over 200hp and cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not to mention the free over time the teams and engineers put into them. Next year the lowest power "factory bike" in NA will be in the 140hp to 150hp range, probably more. Considering there was only one guy who showed up to all of the round in the TTX75 class you might have a chance in that class. Because while you could still spend and exorbitant amount of money on a TTX75 bike, because the battery power is so limited, you have to take it easy with the HP, and the more money spent won't get you as big a gain in performance. Think of it like the AMA saying you only get a 2.5 gallon tank for your SS bike, and then throwing the rest of the rules out. I don't know how many people will run this class next year, but you could be fairly competitive spending $10,000 to $20,000 on the bike. The other thing is, if you finish in the top 8 you get to go on to the World final. If it was me, the first thing I would secure was passage for the team, bike, and myself to the world final, and then do as many races as I could in NA based on what funding you had left. It sounds a bit crazy, and no offense to ARC Racing, but if you had speed and a properly quick bike, and based on this year's attendance, you could seriously be looking at being a World Champion next year. Something that occasionally keeps me up at night.

But I'm a dreamer. :D

My podcast and blog are here: http://ttxgpmatters.wordpress.com/category/podcast-2/

You also need to get a hold of the TTXGP (www.egrandprix.com) and get yourself on the racer list. Tell im we sent you. :D

LukeLucky
16 November 2011, 2108
Thanks Skeez

Jaz, Something your Podcast may be interested for the future is I should be coordinating the multi-city screening of the new film by Mark Neale, "CHARGE". The movie is about the creation and development of e-bike racing.. especially around the IOM event. I'm hoping we can get the screenings set up in the next month or two as the film is finished, but not yet released. I just got a preview version and it's great!

Also, I came across this forum due to an event I saw on Twitter that Shelina Moreda may be attending in Maryland. I'm hoping she may be able to help me get a one-time ride on a bike with her team for hat event... stay tuned on that although the event isn't until May 2012.

jazclrint
16 November 2011, 2349
Thanks Skeez

Jaz, Something your Podcast may be interested for the future is I should be coordinating the multi-city screening of the new film by Mark Neale, "CHARGE". The movie is about the creation and development of e-bike racing.. especially around the IOM event. I'm hoping we can get the screenings set up in the next month or two as the film is finished, but not yet released. I just got a preview version and it's great!

Also, I came across this forum due to an event I saw on Twitter that Shelina Moreda may be attending in Maryland. I'm hoping she may be able to help me get a one-time ride on a bike with her team for hat event... stay tuned on that although the event isn't until May 2012.

Sweet. Let me know the details as soon as they become available and I'll give you a plug. But, I am confused. I have owned that DVD since, like June. Was it released on DVD and is now making it to theaters?

ARC EV Racing
17 November 2011, 1328
Not sure where the 'offence' to us could come from, but thanks for not causing any!

I wouldn't count on the 75 class being around next year. Best to check it out before starting a new design.

jazclrint
17 November 2011, 1416
Not sure where the 'offence' to us could come from, but thanks for not causing any!

I wouldn't count on the 75 class being around next year. Best to check it out before starting a new design.

Seems I've gone longer than usual without pissing someone off. Just covering my ass. :D

As far as the 75 class. Do you think it is going to disappear all together, or just get bumped up to 10 kWhrs?

teddillard
17 November 2011, 1429

Yeah, though I don't want to discourage you on that, it's far from a -real- racing event by any stretch. I can pretty much guarantee she won't have the team bike there at any rate, doubtful any members of the team, if she can make it at all, (she's trying to work out logistics for the schedule), and I don't really know what you'd be able to really prove in a parking lot with cones and all. I've updated the page to show the classes and give a little more of the flavor of the rally (though it's far from final at this point), maybe you should take another look. It's really more of an excuse for a bunch of us who've never actually met in person to get together and drink beer, kick each other's tires a bit, and help promote a bigger event- the Solar and Wind Expo.

jazclrint
17 November 2011, 1519
Face it, we have a lot of racing contacts here, and we know that people with expensive electric race bikes do read this forum. As a young man and rider just coming up through the AMA ranks at the same time electric motorcycle racing is taking off, if I was a forward thinking manager I'd have him come to your event. Relaxed, low key, but with possibly some important people there, and the guarantee of people who know people being there. I think Electropalooza is an awesome idea and event, and should stay just as it is. But how many business deals used to, and still do, go down on golf courses?

teddillard
17 November 2011, 1653
Sure. I'm just concerned about people having unreasonable expectations about what this thing is going to be. Or at least, what we're trying to make it. A lot of what I've posted is mostly in fun, and that's what I really hope the thing is going to be, and though I really hope these teams show up, I don't have any delusions that they'll miss something important to be there.

Except for dice. If he's not i'ma drive down and kick his ass. :D

LukeLucky
19 November 2011, 1941
Thanks again guys.

I appreciate the concern Ted, but I'm approaching the idea of attending the event for the exact reasons Jaz mentioned. I'm very new to the e-bike game and rather than just email Mission, Zero, Brammo, etc and expect to race with them next year, I'd rather make some connections, meet some of the people in that industry, and go from there. I'm in no rush to bail on AMA racing and I have quite a full plate with my management company, www.Lucky-Management.com

If things were to fall into place and I got the opportunity to ride someone's race bike at the event, it'd still be a total firt for me and hopefully get my foot in the door for further testing or some sort of future assuming I don't chuck it across the parking lot.. heh.