PDA

View Full Version : Question about DC DC

jinxed
06 December 2011, 1929
Hi, I'm looking for a DC DC converter for my electric motorcycle and I'm not sure what wattage I should be looking for. are there any guidelines that are used?

frodus
06 December 2011, 1959
add up your 12V loads.

Does it run the headlights? contactor? tail lights? running lights? BMS? any other accessories?

We can't really tell you what you should look for because it all boils down to how many amps you need + some extra so you don't dim everything when you turn on the headlights.

Maybe you could use a small 12V battery in there temporarily, then you measure current with everything on, and add some overhead.

jinxed
06 December 2011, 2004
oh yes. headlights, contactor, running lights, blinkers, thats all i can think of right now. I like the battery idea though.

frodus
06 December 2011, 2008
it saves you time and money, well, i mean you need a small 12V, but a motorcycle battery which you might already have, would work great.

Then you know for sure.

The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to account for inrush current of the contactor and headlights.... they might cause the DC-DC to brownout. Might not be a huge deal, but if you have electronics that depend on 12V, they might reset. So plan ahead and over-engineer it a little. I think a lot of people here are running one between 100 and 200W.

__Tango
06 December 2011, 2320
Listen to Trav. He guided me through getting a DC-DC for my bike and it's all good now. :)

Allen_okc
07 December 2011, 0758
:cool: what Tango said...

Listen to Trav. He guided me through getting a DC-DC for my bike and it's all good now. :)