PDA

View Full Version : Restarting a Project

2nd Wind
23 December 2011, 1131
Hi,
I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief. I started an el motorcycle project in 2008, which I had to postpone due to sea duty, and hope to revive it soon. It's a 2002 Suzuki Bandit with a 84V SEPEX/SEVCON drive system. I got it around the block a couple of times before I garaged it, but it still needed work on instrumentation, bodywork and general performance tweaking. It currently has seven Optima D51 batteries, but I want to switch to lithium. I think I could fit 100 AH on my current battery racks without sacrificing space or weight.
As I go forward I'm hoping to get feedback on Lithium battery resources, BMS, instrument mounting ideas, and carbon fiber bodywork.
I look forward to chatting with all of you.

EVcycle
23 December 2011, 1524
Welcome to the group! Navy? Mmmmm :)

Sounds like a great project. How about a photo or two if you get time.

The folks here will be happy to help, all you have to do is ask!

EV Ed
USN Retired FCCS

Nuts & Volts
23 December 2011, 1533
Welcome and thanks for serving our country!

I'm glad to hear your kicking the project back off. I think you'll find that Lithium prices have gone down in the last couple of years. I'll go ahead and recommend CALB or GBS batteries. They seem to be the best bang for the buck and most people seem very happy with those cells. I had some GBS 60Ah before I upgraded.

Good Luck to ya and happy holidays!

DaveAK
23 December 2011, 1544
Sounds like the D&D/Sevcon package I'm running in my bike. I'm running 72V/60Ah lithium. 100Ah will be a tight squeeze but doable.