PDA

View Full Version : Long article and review on the KTM Freeride

A-Bomb
09 January 2012, 1102
Hi everyone,
FYI, I was just looking for a free motorcycle magazine phone app this past weekend and ended up downloading Cycle News. Turns out they had a really lengthy write-up on a demo KTM Freeride.

Just go to your app store on your phone and search for Cycle News. You maybe also be able to find it on a regular computer or tablet doing a google search.

jazclrint
09 January 2012, 1610
Was it the article written by Allen Cathcart?

sparky_mark
10 January 2012, 0308
Here you go : http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/bike-tests/2011/11/29/2012-ktm-freeride-e-electric-bike/full

Square Wave
10 January 2012, 0900
That is very encouraging. I hope it really is that good.

Richard230
28 January 2012, 1528
Check out the new March issue of Motorcyclist magazine when you pass by the newsstand. On page 52 and 53 there is a two-page review of the KTM Freedride E. They give it four stars out of five and call it "the most promising e-crosser yet!"

The article says that KTM expects to have the Freeride E in European showrooms by the end of 2012 at a price equivalent to $13,000 USD.

They also say that it will be another year before KTM comes to the U.S. and when it does, it will be accompanied by a street-legal version and a "supermoto-style E-Duke".

Here are some technical details from the article: The Freeride E is powered by a 300-volt Perm motor producing the equivalent of 30 bhp at 6000 rpm and 31 lb.-ft. of torque at 500 rpm. It uses a 2.1 kWh Li-ion battery pack, consisting of 360 Panasonic cells. The pack weighs 55 pounds and the motor weighs 22 pounds.The entire bike only weighs 209 pounds. KTM says that the size of the pack was chosen to provide a 40-minute ride when being used hard. Fully charging the battery pack takes 90 minutes. The production models will have three selectable power modes to choose from. The electronics on the Freeride E are fully sealed from water intrusion.

A-Bomb
29 January 2012, 0930
I just got that magazine a few days ago too. Now I'm real curious to see a head to head comparison of the Freeride vs. the Zero MX.

Richard230
29 January 2012, 1554
I just got that magazine a few days ago too. Now I'm real curious to see a head to head comparison of the Freeride vs. the Zero MX.

My money would be on the Freeride E. I suspect that it has more power and for sure a better chassis, if only because KTM has years of making fast motocross bikes and the Freeride E uses the chassis and suspension from one of their small motocross racers. Plus, it seems to be lighter than the Zero MX. Unfortunately, it appears that we might have to wait a year to see that match-up in the U.S. A contest like that is more likely to occur first in Europe as that is where the Freeride E will be introduced first.

Now the Freeride E racing against the new six-speed Brammo motocross bike (is it the Encite?) might result in a different outcome. I am ready to see all three race against each other. :D

protomech
30 January 2012, 1236
Per the CycleNews article:

360 18650 cells from Panasonic, 300V 2.1 kwh 55 lb pack.

Perhaps 3.7V 1600mAh cells? Wonder how much trouble it would be to stuff Panasonic's 18650 3100mAh cells in there. Wonder if those cells are very expensive, or if KTM is leaving the door open for a significant capacity bump in the future.

Biff
30 January 2012, 1350
Per the CycleNews article:

360 18650 cells from Panasonic, 300V 2.1 kwh 55 lb pack.

Perhaps 3.7V 1600mAh cells? Wonder how much trouble it would be to stuff Panasonic's 18650 3100mAh cells in there. Wonder if those cells are very expensive, or if KTM is leaving the door open for a significant capacity bump in the future.

The 3100mAh cells can only discharge at 2C, so you could only pull 4kW out of a 2kWh battery, no matter what you do. I have seen the tests showing what happens when you try and pull more power, the output voltage drops really quickly as you try and extract more current, and the battery heats up extremely quickly, you cant even pull 3C out of those batteries for 10 second bursts, it simply isn't possible even if you short the terminals. But for continuous operation at 1C they do deliver their advertised capacity.

-ryan

protomech
30 January 2012, 1527
Makes sense. They're discharging the existing pack at up to 10C, so I suppose it's tuned more for higher power than higher capacity..

jazclrint
01 February 2012, 1201
I am not sure the KTM will be all that by the time it actually comes out. I suspect it will be over priced and under preforming compared to the others that will be on the market. The chassis should be brilliant, but that's about it. The Brammo Engage is the full sized bike, and that should perform well with a more cost effective low voltage system and transmission. Zero is on an annual development cycle and all '12 Zeros have more power and performance this year. If they know they have a whole year before the KTM comes out, Zero will be more than ready. Quantya may dissapear, but the BRD bike is going to be the bike to beat. Only 2 grand more than the KTM and the power and speed of a 250 four-stroker full on race bike? the KTM only makes sense to those who don't investigate their purchase and just buy it because it is at the KTM dealer, which has it's merits, and advantages.

This KTM example only solidifies my belief that the gas powered bike companies cannot build competitive electric bikes, and are already too far behind.

ZoomSmith
01 February 2012, 1327
Have you interviewed the BRD guys yet?