PDA

View Full Version : EXR1.0 Enduro lives

Skeezmour
13 February 2012, 2323
Well about time to drag myself out from behind the work desk and all the other goings on over the last year and put up a thread about my now running 1996 XR250r now to be refered to as the EXR1.0.

First ride was tonight (I wasn't leaving till she ran) grin felt good :). Thanks to Mark for dealing with my silly questions at odd hours. First quick numbers I got from this short run where about 20hp on the battery side or probably close to 15hp on ground. This will improve as I do some cleanup and make some adjustments to the system.

So here is a breakdown of the EXR1.0 specs

Donor bike: 1996 XR250R (plated enduro)
Batteries: Headway 40160 16ah. 24s2p for a 72v 32ah pack setup as a quick sub 1 min swap (this is just my starting pack....more to come)
BMS: MK3x8smt from Manzanita Micro
Charger: none on board yet but that will change in the near future. I mainly use a PFC40 charger at work. This will make for ~50 min charge time. If I really want it now I will just pull out one of the PFC50B chargers and get is done in about 25min.
Controler: Model KBL12402IC
Dash: Cycle Analyst for now (nice unit) but will have a new system we are working on at Manzanita Micro soon
DC/DC: Vicor 72v-12v 75w output (thanks for the headsup frodus)
Motor: EnerTrac 602/604 shiftable hub motor (I will be taking the bike to a local motorcycle dealer who has offered me free use of the dyno for any elmoto bike I bring in) and I will give more info on this in a future post

Lots of little things to finish but happy it is coming to life. I will be taking it tomorrow to show to the local EAA meeting in Seattle.

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 0157

Didn't take many pictures of the bike at first (very very dirty bike). Here are 2 prior to getting the frame done up with fresh powdercoat.

EVcycle
14 February 2012, 0436
Very cool. Nicely packaged.

Any plans for decals/paint?

teddillard
14 February 2012, 0438
Unbelievable! This is a Sure Sign of the coming Apocalypse... Skeezmour posts his build! :D

Gene! SWEET WORK! And THANKS for posting! Makes me want to build a dirt bike all the more...

More details on the quick-swap pack PLEEEEEZE!!!

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 0752
Very cool. Nicely packaged.

Any plans for decals/paint?

I will be having some goodies made up shortly. And of course my custom plate is coming :)

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 0756
Unbelievable! This is a Sure Sign of the coming Apocalypse... Skeezmour posts his build! :D

Gene! SWEET WORK! And THANKS for posting! Makes me want to build a dirt bike all the more...

More details on the quick-swap pack PLEEEEEZE!!!

Well it is 2012! Thanks Ted it has been a long time coming.....more to come SOON!

The swap pack is working out GREAT. I will use it as my standard size and see how much LIPO I can stuff in there in the future. (Pictures to come today)

ZoomSmith
14 February 2012, 0907
Awesome. Nice work Gene.

How about some build details and pics on that battery pack?

electriKAT
14 February 2012, 0909
Some people post 500x and end up with nothing but a stripped chassis to show for it. Gene comes along with a nearly complete bike by post #1. Respect!

I had an XR250 when I was a kid. Loved that bike. I'm wondering what it will be like to run those monster knobs on a dyno treadmill?

Allen_okc
14 February 2012, 0930
i believe i can see Skeezmour with that silly EV smile... awesome job bro, congratulations...

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 1052
Some people post 500x and end up with nothing but a stripped chassis to show for it. Gene comes along with a nearly complete bike by post #1. Respect!

I had an XR250 when I was a kid. Loved that bike. I'm wondering what it will be like to run those monster knobs on a dyno treadmill?

Rode a 1985 XR250 for a couple years in HS. Also loved that bike so I decieded to build my electric on one.

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 1053
Awesome. Nice work Gene.

How about some build details and pics on that battery pack?

I will post pics and write a bit about that pack. Overall very happy with this setup.

Hugues
14 February 2012, 1137
cool looking bike. congrats.

how much range you think you can pull out of your pack ?

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 1143
cool looking bike. congrats.

how much range you think you can pull out of your pack ?

Something over 20 miles. Will just depend on what I'm doing and how much throttle I'm using. But for now it is enough. Street bike is coming for my higher milage option.

liveforphysics
14 February 2012, 1158
Nice job buddy! Looks like a blast to ride! :-)

Clean conversion too!

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 1255
Nice job buddy! Looks like a blast to ride! :-)

Clean conversion too!

Thanks :) I will have it down at the race in May....Nothing as crazy as your BFH but still fun. Now I need a set of LIPO to push this thing faster.

Hugues
14 February 2012, 1301
...Now I need a set of LIPO to push this thing faster.
what do you have in mind ? YOu want to build the pack yourself ?
There is a plan for a group buy of Dow-Kokam cells, details here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36280&hilit=dow+kokam

seems pretty much some of the highest density cells available.
But you need to build the pack.

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 1412
what do you have in mind ? YOu want to build the pack yourself ?
There is a plan for a group buy of Dow-Kokam cells, details here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36280&hilit=dow+kokam

seems pretty much some of the highest density cells available.
But you need to build the pack.

We already deal with Kokam and are on the prefered list of BMS suppliers. http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

My problem is that as much as I like them I just can't bring myself to spend $1000/kwh on them. My 2.4kwh pack of headway while lacking in some aspects was about the same price as 1kwh of Kokam cells. I hope we can change this soon.

Talking with a few different companies about cells at a bit better price point to find a nice middle ground. Really want 144v and 30ah or so for my normal pack on the EXR1.0.

Nuts & Volts
14 February 2012, 1744
Very cool setup you got there. I am really interested in seeing how the Switched Kv motor setup works out for you. Look like a build you can pretty much have fun riding on anywhere, dirt, street, trails....

...Talking with a few different companies about cells at a bit better price point to find a nice middle ground. Really want 144v and 30ah or so for my normal pack on the EXR1.0.

Let me know if anything starts coming through, I could probably tag a bunch more cells on an order to try to lower the price if appropriate :)

Skeezmour
14 February 2012, 2340
Very cool setup you got there. I am really interested in seeing how the Switched Kv motor setup works out for you. Look like a build you can pretty much have fun riding on anywhere, dirt, street, trails....

Let me know if anything starts coming through, I could probably tag a bunch more cells on an order to try to lower the price if appropriate :)

I sure will N&V

yankee1919
15 February 2012, 0925
Hello Skeezmour,

Love enduros! I had a susuki dr250 years ago nibble as a cat in city traffic.

What race? What is the weight of the bike you think?

Skeezmour
18 February 2012, 0059

Few more pics of build.

Skeezmour
05 March 2012, 2055
Had some fun showing off the bike to some friends. Those grins tell the whole story :)

Skahle
06 March 2012, 0108
Hey Gene, I am looking forward to dyno data on that shifting 602/604 and the pictures don't do it justice, your bike looks better in person! I would love to stop by when my bike is rolling and see if you can sneak it on a dyno to see what my me1003/spm72400 really looks like.

Steve

Skeezmour
21 March 2012, 1350

Couple of pictures prior to the pack going into its case. I will take some of the whole pack out of the bike and post those.

Allen_okc
22 March 2012, 1215
:cool: awesome set up. it looks like your having fun with the motorcycle - 20 mile range isnt bad at all for an enduro...

Skeezmour
24 April 2012, 1522
Few pics of upgrades

Will be adding a few more items before the first TTXGP race in CA. More pics to come.

(where are those new batteries!)

markcycle
29 April 2012, 1735
I give up where are the extra batteries

Skeezmour
29 April 2012, 1931
I give up where are the extra batteries

Waiting on my order from HK. I'm adding 12s2p more cells in a hard case that will be mounted to the rack probably tomorrow. Looking forward to riding it with 120v on it.

More pics soon. (and hopefully a Dyno run)