PDA

View Full Version : Hello from England

picaroon
16 February 2012, 1718
Hi everyone, I am another scooter fan and have a lambretta which I am planning make battery powered. I am just starting to make a wish list of parts for it.
Its great to see some vespa's on here which also have the trouble of a limited space for batteries. Headway-headquarters vespa with the hub motor is very nice!
Is there anyone else from England on here?
I've been reading El Moto for a couple of weeks and its opened my eyes to electric powered motorbikes, so thanks everyone for making it seem possible to achieve.

skyclark
16 February 2012, 2019
Welcome Picaroon. Are you planning to use the hub motor/ custom swing arm as Headway-headquarters did?

picaroon
17 February 2012, 0454
I will need to fabricate a swing arm, as the original is part of the engine casing, and I'm going to be looking into hub motors after seeing his set up looking that nice.
My second thought when I saw the hub motor is a 2 wheel drive bike! Didn't yamaha and a few others do those a few years back?? Its out of my budget and knowledge to do one but has anyone else tried or done it?

ARC EV Racing
17 February 2012, 0556
Is there anyone else from England on here?

Welcome fella. We're based just up the road from you in Derby. They're mostly from the wrong side of the Atlantic on here but they seem happy enough anyway :)

yankee1919
17 February 2012, 1001
Hello Picaroon,
Welcome, I am currently converting a 74 Vespa Rally 200 into an electric vehicle. I have the forum group very knowledgeable and help full. Start documenting your build.
Tony
Los Angeles

picaroon
18 February 2012, 0732
Cheers for welcoming me in. You are close to me Arc EV, you may be able to help me get some bits then. Nice bikes on your website buddy.
Im looking forward to see how your vespa comes together Tony. I'll start taking some photo's soon after I sneak the bike down from the attic when the wife is out and hide it away in the garage!

ARC EV Racing
18 February 2012, 1707
Yep no problem, always happy to help and the kettles usually on. Glad you like the bikes. Hopefully we'll have some info on this year's race bike up there soon.

What are you aims for the Lambretta in terms of range/performance? Something like the original? I seem to remember someone on here mentioning scooter drag racing, which sounds like fun!

picaroon
19 February 2012, 1518
It'll be my daily ride for getting to work, so all I need is an 8 mile range and 30mph. What I want though is about a 20 mile range and to be able to hit 60mph, thats fast enough on these little wheels! Then I can get rid of the other bike I use now.
It has to be fun to ride everyday, catapulting like a drag bike from the traffic lights would do that for me :p 'cause theres no point trying to whizz round the bends on this thing.

I'm not sure what I can get for my money yet, I think 48v 20ah LiFePO4 and the manta motor might get me the speed and range??? And I think its a set up that I could add to and tinker with gear ratio's then too, and I do like a little tinker

I'm open to ideas and if I find something good on the cheap then thats great as I enjoy the building and planning just as much as using things

ARC EV Racing
20 February 2012, 0656
Well a 48v 20Ah pack gives you 960Wh, which gives you a budget of 120Wh/mile for your 8 mile range. You wouldn't want to go to 100% discharge and cells rarely perform to their rated capacity under real world conditions, but that still sounds very reasonable to achieve.

Our single Agni race bike ran in the 150Wh/mile region and reached 90mph, so I imagine you'd be able to get your consumption well under 100Wh/mile with relaxed gearing on a steady commute.

LiFePO4 would be a good choice assuming you can fit the required cells in your scooter. That chemistry is more stable and you can probably do without the high discharge rates you get with LiPo.

We've got some used 15Ah LifeBatt cells with BMS that I'd let go cheap. They're built into 72v 15Ah packs at the moment but could be reconfigured easily enough.

Is the Manta motor similar to the Etek PMDC motors? I've never used them but there are plenty on here who have.

Square Wave
20 February 2012, 0931
Wait a minute, Arc EV! Isn't Quaife a gearbox company? What are you up to?

ARC EV Racing
20 February 2012, 1150
Wait a minute, Arc EV! Isn't Quaife a gearbox company? What are you up to?

Who said Quaife? Looks like our secret's out! Does this mean we'll have to take part in the monthly transmission arguments?

Skeezmour
20 February 2012, 1404
Who said Quaife? Looks like our secret's out! Does this mean we'll have to take part in the monthly transmission arguments?

On your list of sponsors :)

Allen_okc
20 February 2012, 1413
sorry im late to jump in here, ive been sick with flu - anyway welcome to the forum...

picaroon
20 February 2012, 1416
I'd be interested in the lifebatt's Arc EV, keep them to one side for me, I'll give you a call about them and pop up in a couple of weeks for a looksie.
I'm thinking about the manta because there is a uk supplier, www.windgenerator.org.uk I saw them for under 400 and rated 10hp at 48v continuous duty. I think folks over volt them, 96v gets 25hp. Agni's are probably three times the price?

ARC EV Racing
20 February 2012, 1430
On your list of sponsors :)

Yeah I'm surprised nobody noticed that before, I think it went up sometime last year. We're working on a setup for club racing rather than the longer TTXGP races, although we may make an appearance there too. Maybe we'll start a new thread with some proper info in a week or so, but yeah Quaife are involved so you can guess where it's going.

ARC EV Racing
20 February 2012, 1450
I'd be interested in the lifebatt's Arc EV, keep them to one side for me, I'll give you a call about them and pop up in a couple of weeks for a looksie.
I'm thinking about the manta because there is a uk supplier, www.windgenerator.org.uk (http://www.windgenerator.org.uk) I saw them for under 400 and rated 10hp at 48v continuous duty. I think folks over volt them, 96v gets 25hp. Agni's are probably three times the price?

Yeah no prob, I'm not really advertising them yet so they're safe for now.

That motor looks pretty handy for the price. You're right, a new Agni 95r is about 1200. I hope you're not thinking of going with their suggested method of speed control though! That slider across the battery terminals looks very scary.

picaroon
20 February 2012, 1522
I thought the slider idea was a bit girlie for me and I'm thinking about using the boat control idea, ON or OFF. EEEEEKKK!
I have no idea on controller yet, something with a bit of room for improving the batteries and motor in the future maybe.

teddillard
20 February 2012, 1535
ooooo, touchy stuff here. OK, diving in where angels fear to tread.

The Manta motors have, at best, a pretty checkered past. I can't really go into it, but suffice to say they are not (at least in my experience) serial numbered ETEK motors. There were knock-offs made in China and there are stories about where the Manta motors came from, a lot of stuff I believe but certainly can't prove. That said, they're cheap, but don't count on them being supported.

I have had a Mars (now Motenergy) ME0709, a Manta, a Briggs ETEK (w/BS serial number) and now a Motenergy ME1003. If you're looking for something to mess with, without big expectations on the reliability, the Manta is fine. If you're looking for something that is going to run well and hard, and get support from the company that made it, I simply can't say enough about Motenergy.

If you want to see how fast you can do a teardown on a Manta (or ETEK), check this out:
http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/etek-motor-teardown-10-minutes-video/

If you want to know why I got so good at it, PM me. :rolleyes:

picaroon
21 February 2012, 0316
Thanks for the advice Ted, I certainly would prefer the ME1003 after reading your posts but would like to buy it from a uk distributer but I've had no luck yet finding one. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
There are quite a few sellers on ebay who could ship it to me from your side of the pond but guess I would miss out a bit on the motenergy support if it was faulty and think I get stung on import tax also.
Advice from you is more valuable than a websites sales pitch though so I may do my small bit for the US economy, even if I cant find a seller over here.
Does anyone know of any UK sellers?

teddillard
21 February 2012, 0327
Just FYI, (and one of the reasons I love working with Motoenergy) I sold my ME0709 (which I bought slightly used) and it got damaged in shipping. I emailed Motenergy asking them for a replacement part (the lugs that are on the brush holder) and they shipped my buyer a new set, no charge to either of us. I asked why, and they (well, John Fiorenza, THE man) said he'd redesigned those lugs because he never liked how they got damaged in shipping a lot, so, yes, the replacement was no charge.

Now THAT is customer service. :)

I can't say this will happen with anything that goes on with the motor, but I'd have a lot less concern buying even from a dealer on eBay than the Manta.

Here's their dealer page: http://motenergy.com/mode.html

Square Wave
21 February 2012, 0753
Looks like our secret's out! Does this mean we'll have to take part in the monthly transmission arguments?
Not until you have something you would like to share.