PDA

View Full Version : Today, I ...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

teddillard
18 February 2012, 1123
Thought this might be kind of an amusing thread, since projects never really seem to be, well, complete. Anyway... Today I... put my bike back together mostly, and ran it for the first time with a full charge and the ME1003.

I haz wheelies agin. AND I haz mind-boggling acceleration. Hold on, I have to go change my knickers.

OK back. :O Since it's waking hours (AKA the police are afoot) I did not to a top-speed run. But you just wait. :rolleyes:

Nuts & Volts
18 February 2012, 1146
Thought more about paralleling a large format cell with some high C rate RC LiPo. My head hurts a lot, but I'm not letting the batteries win

helco
18 February 2012, 1259
opened me box of cables and plugs so i can build my 12v with my 4 headways and start on the turn signal ,brake light , headlight system !

mpipes
18 February 2012, 1331
.... thought I'd load the tires and wheels into the truck and head on down to the tire shop to get the tires mounted.

Then I realized it's Saturday and nobody is open.... so I took a nap.

SplinterOz
18 February 2012, 1403
... have a friend coming over so we can mount my battery pack in my bike.

EVGator
18 February 2012, 1524
read up on regen and cvt's, and did some body work to the frame..oh and painted a triple tree.

Richard230
18 February 2012, 1621
Went for a ride on my Zero and showed it off to my brother, who then told me about his new rims and disc brakes that he installed on his 1970's Plymouth Roadrunner. He also showed my his new Honda C2000 gas generator and an old 500 pound commercial video game that he picked up for $50. Then I rode back home.

Athlon
18 February 2012, 1634
Worked on Arduino to create a free BMS for everybody need a cheap but robust and useful BMS
max 120 cell non scalable , from 200A to 1000A , voltage and temperature for each cell , easy to interface with andriod phone

larryrose11
18 February 2012, 1754
I worked on my kids el-scooter, thinking about upgrading the wheels so I can put disc brakes on it. I worked on my RC Boat cooling system too. Fun day!!

Athlon, Tell us more about this BMS. Can it do balancing?

podolefsky
18 February 2012, 2125
Showed the GSX-E to an engineering student who's been asking to see it for a while.

Cleaned and painted a bunch of parts for the KZE.

Installed the KZ550 headstock bearings on the the ZG1200 forks. Got em mounted on the KZ550 frame...perfect fit, no other mods needed besides the bearing swap.

Found out the KZ key switch fits in the ZG triples. $50 I don't have to spend :)

Got two issues of Performance Business magaznie that did an EV article, featuring some quotes and a pic of me doing a burnout. :) :)

1320freek
18 February 2012, 2136
Worked 10 hrs today (at work), then came home and ate and watched the SX from Dallas and now I'm watching drag racing!
BUT.........I tried to order my 72V, 40Ah elite power solutions turn key system last night but was not able to because they only accept paypal on their website. Going to have to wait until Monday and call them! Getting excited cuz I'm getting close to having all the parts!

teddillard
19 February 2012, 0411
they only accept paypal on their website.

WOW! Lots of stuff happening! Thanks, guys, this is fun.

FYI, PayPal lets you pay with a credit card if you don't have an account, or don't want to use it. Look for the link on the PayPal page at the bottom that mentions major credit cards. (yeah, from their site: "Payment options: For payment of less than $5000, the options are: Using credit cards and debit cards through online payment site Paypal.com. ..."

So, whatcha gonna do today, 1320freek? :rolleyes:

teddillard
19 February 2012, 0526
...woke up really early (well, that's nothing new) suited up and hit the street. Hit 80mph, took it to some really tight curves and it handles just as sweet as I remember my RD350. :rolleyes:

It's about 30F out, and the batteries were sagging to below 70V (I have a little warning light that comes on at 70V), so I'm not sure if it's the temps, the ultra-small pack (1.6), the bigger motor, or all three (or some combination of factors), but it's time to move to the next step: MORE BATTERIEZ!

BUT... the gearing is good, I think, so I'm popping for a new sprocket to replace the severely worn one I have now, and I'm going to keep it the same ratio- 11 tooth front, 41 rear. Or is it 12? pooo.

(...come in to the house, greet wife just waking up, answer "what are you doing up so early" with "I had to run the bike", to which she responds "you're crazy" and gives me a hug and a kiss. :rolleyes:)

1320freek
19 February 2012, 0934
So, whatcha gonna do today, 1320freek?.............

I had breakfast with my G/F and wonderful boys! Gotta go into work today when my boyeeez head home. Not sure how long I will work today but I'm sure it will be a while. I'm not complaining though.....this OT is helping pay for the batteries!! And BTW it's about 70 deg out here in Titusville. It would be a beautiful to ride a bike!!

Otis

1320freek
19 February 2012, 0935
Oops....forgot the word "day".......It would be a beautiful DAY to ride!

teddillard
19 February 2012, 1502
...gots me a plastic box:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427680_3442851109538_1218396040_33582230_156801624 6_n.jpg

(Note: NO BEER was consumed whilst sorting above bits and pieces. yeah. riiiiiight. :rolleyes:)

Feels kinda like the wrap-up of the project, when everythings's so neat and tidy. boooooo. (Or, just maybe, the start of a new one?)

Nuts & Volts
19 February 2012, 1728
dreamt about batteries blowing up, like little flash bombs. One shot up through the roof and landed outside....something is definitely wrong with me :D

not sure if being hungover had anything to do with it hahaha

liveforphysics
19 February 2012, 1739
Worked another weekend, actively battling all the gremlins/issues/limitations/concerns that prevent the world from all riding electric motorcycles.

We are winning the battle, one innovative solution after another.

It's satisfying clear down to my soul. I would do the same job for no pay, just out of a love of seeing the electric motorcycle revolution arrive, one difficult step after another.

teddillard
19 February 2012, 1743
We are winning the battle, one innovative solution after another.

Yes we are, my friend, yes we are. :D

dreamt about batteries blowing up, like little flash bombs.

I have had that dream...

Allen_okc
20 February 2012, 0638
today i ordered the paints i need to custom airbrush my motorcycle - i start the paint and body work on the fenders and fake gas tank "console" this week...

photos and video later...

teddillard
20 February 2012, 0809
... may have just reached the end of my aluminum stock supply:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404341_3448002518320_1218396040_33585684_192231273 0_n.jpg

:rolleyes:

ZoomSmith
20 February 2012, 0932
Only put in 1/2 tank of gas into my car.
Really hoping the weather will warm up soon, so I can ride to work.

CharlesZaden
20 February 2012, 1143
cleaned up some of the chrome for my bike with some aluminum foil and water,
Read Ted's book :)
waiting for packages to arrive...

yankee1919
20 February 2012, 1347
Hello Ted,

Do you use the scrap aluminum for battery boxes?

Tony
ps I did not see that in your book:confused:

Allen_okc
20 February 2012, 1410
Ted, goto to your local sign shop that does the big light up signs - tell them what your building, and ask if you can have or purchase some of of there scrap aluminum from their bone yard... it will come in the form of old signs, but usable aluminum...

tell them that metro sign corporation in oklahoma city recommended you to ask them...

teddillard
20 February 2012, 1749
...Do you use the scrap aluminum for battery boxes?

I use it for brackets, my fork brace, misc stuff... I am playing with some ideas for a battery module and also trying to learn how to bend the stuff. Unfortunately, one of the things I did today was to learn that the Mac Pro cases are an alloy that doesn't like to bend. booooo.

podolefsky
22 February 2012, 1115
Cleaned 30 years of gunk, then painted the rear wheel, sprocket hub and brake carrier for the KZE. Installed new drum brake shoes. Pinched the s*** out of my finger.

Hugues
22 February 2012, 1130
Today i finalized my technical file for my project (http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2043-Pre-build-thread-Stingray-frame) and will be submitting it to my local vehicle registration office tomorrow.

Hopefully in about a week i will know if they think i'm a complete lunatic or if i have a chance to make this project come true , yeah !

markcycle
22 February 2012, 1229
today I rode the bike

Also stood looking at the seven 8P 4S modules I put together and wondered when am going to get the time to install them

Coninsan
22 February 2012, 1310
Cut and sanded foam for my fiberglass project all day untill I looked like a pastel green gremlin.. Hate days off from school, gotta do something constructive soon or I'll go nuts.. :)

Allen_okc
22 February 2012, 1355
today i started wet sanding my body parts to get them ready for paint...

podolefsky
23 February 2012, 2010
ha ha! i'm sure google12 is a bot, but that's actually a pretty funny response to Allen's post...

Nuts & Volts
23 February 2012, 2023
Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

wanted to quote it before I delete it. I think it's quoting my sig which is really odd

ZoomSmith
23 February 2012, 2308
Spent the evening listening to Rick Woodbury tell the story of the his company, Commuter Cars Corp, and their Electric Tango. My old college (Walla Walla University) puts on a dinner during their Engineering Week, and Woodbury was kind enough to speak to the group.

The man has endured a lot of setbacks in the development of their electric car. I really admire his vision and devotion to developing the Tango. He showed some pretty cool videos of dragstrip burnouts too.

EVGator
23 February 2012, 2321
Met with the Dean of Engineering, who happens to also be a WERA Vintage Motorcycle racer himself, regarding our Univeristy's TTXGP Team. That went better than I thought it would. He and our rider swapped track stories and talked about racers I have never heard of. Great things are happening. When you get the guys at the top on board, it is a significantly smoother process to overcome.

Square Wave
24 February 2012, 0629
...finished freshman tool training. It went really well. It was my first opportunity to affect the curriculum at my new job at JMU, and I think I made things better and that the instructors feel the same way. Yay me!

No one was happy with the lessons my predecessor came up with. They were just sort of “drill a hole” and “cut a bar.” I made the students calculate how long a piece of PVC pipe to cut to hold a specific weight of water, and then calculate where the pivot point on a beam would be to make a balance with the water filled pipe attached to one end. Then I taught them how to use the tools to actually build the balance. Each kid built his own, which I think was a first for many of them—for it not to be a group project. It was cool because some of them got a bit competitive and wanted it to turn out right.

So 2 lab techs and I taught 125 19 year olds to use a band saw, miter box, power miter saw, key chuck electric drill, cordless drill, drill press, screw driver, wrenches, scribe, center punch, tap, and PVC cement. For 3 days we had them in groups of 25 for 100 minutes every 2 hours. A 20 minute break every other hour from 8:00 AM to 5:40 PM for 3 days watching completely inexperienced children do everything you can imagine wrong with tools for 3 days. We did it with no injuries and everyone completed the project. I’m very tired.

teddillard
24 February 2012, 0656
That's awesome John! Sounds like a total blast... wish I could take a class like that.

Don't forget my #1 Principle of Teaching: Empowerment by Benign Neglect (AKA, no, YOU do it yourself, that's how you learn). :rolleyes:

Square Wave
24 February 2012, 1443
today i started wet sanding my body parts to get them ready for paint...

Be careful to use nontoxic paint--your skin will be less resistant after you've sanded it.:p

teddillard
25 February 2012, 0531
...made it to "final edit" stage of ...from Fossils to Flux, Second Edition. Time to put on the Editor hat and check page references, final spell check and layout. All before 8AM! lol

I've added a section on designing a balanced system (thanks to Dr. Adam "Bottleneck" Bercu), some examples of battery types and BMSs (thanks again to Ed "Non BMS BMS" Fargo and others) and that great graphic for comparing batteries (thanks to Zach "how much do you know codin'" Rubin)... Along with some build examples and shopping lists.

I have to say... I'm really excited about the re-write. There were some huge holes that needed plugging, and some stuff that just needed updating too. A very LARGE bunch of the improvements are directly from the amazing work you guys are doing. Even in the short span between updates, we've made a huge amount of progress - both in the quality of our builds and the technology we're bringing to the table.

Here's the new cover:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428033_3473668119944_1218396040_33595455_107768637 7_n.jpg

I'm hoping to get the final re-write up by Sunday night...

Coninsan
25 February 2012, 1019
Got free Italian ice cream in 3C weather, regret nothing :)

teddillard
26 February 2012, 0711
...GOT IT DONE!

http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/fossils-to-flux-second-edition-is-live/

:D:D:D

teddillard
26 February 2012, 1554
...started work on a new story for Home Power- on converting tractors and stuff to electric:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419292_3494860209733_1218396040_33605237_187123635 6_n.jpg

...can't really show too much of it, since it's for a story, but I'm gonna use ... the ... TRANSMISSION!! :O

Allen_okc
27 February 2012, 0754
yesterday i custom painted my motorcycle parts, today i undercoat the parts, tomorrow i buff the parts out to a glass smooth finish...

podolefsky
27 February 2012, 0917
Roads are finally clear, rode the GSX-E to work - f*ck I love my bike.

moon
27 February 2012, 0949
Whoo, nice! Too bad about the impending snow...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Allen_okc
27 February 2012, 0956
heres a thought noah for those winter days, dave may like this too...

ZoomSmith
27 February 2012, 1114
Rode to work on Friday. I was wearing my EV grin all weekend.

Snowed this morning. Crud.

Allen_okc
27 February 2012, 1125
congratulations ZS... sorry about the snow, but spring is coming!!!

teddillard
27 February 2012, 1206
... rode the GSX-E to work ...

wait, wuuuuHHHTT? You WORK?

podolefsky
27 February 2012, 1804
Ha! Yeah, I have a "job" and everything...all growed up.

wait, wuuuuHHHTT? You WORK?

podolefsky
27 February 2012, 1947
today I realized I shouldn't tell people the horsepower of my bike.

guy on cbr1000: "how many horsepower is that thing?"
me: "about 50 or so"
guy on cbr: "oh"
me: "but it has 80 ft-lb of torque from zero rpm"
guy on cbr: "uh huh...cool...see ya"

next time, I'll say "electric motors are measured in watts - mine puts out about 50 thousand watts"

to the average guy on the street, 50 thousand sounds like a lot more than 50

mpipes
27 February 2012, 2147
went to Hobby Lobby to see what kind of foam they had for carving.. Lo and behold, they not only had lots of foam, they also had a hot wire foam cutter so I picked one up. Spent the earlier part of this evening cutting 5" diameter, 2" thick disks to make a glue-up for a carbon swingarm buck.

Skahle
27 February 2012, 2249
Ted,

Say, "Same torque as yours off the line...if you crank it to 8500 and drop the clutch."

Steve

mpipes
03 March 2012, 1610
am making some fiberglass parts to test an idea I had for assembling headway cells with an interesting method. Downside to using an epoxy resin with long pot life and working time is I'm stuck waiting til Sunday for the parts to cure, and I'm getting impatient. :)

EVGator
03 March 2012, 1710
am still painting all of my parts..then off to the shop tues. to put my forks back together. LiPo is on backorder...booo.

ZoomSmith
03 March 2012, 1839
test an idea I had for assembling headway cells with an interesting method.
pics please!

SplinterOz
04 March 2012, 0145
... swept the water out of my garage and hoped for at least one day without rain.

soyachips
04 March 2012, 0211
charged up another 3 cells using an individual cell charger ... can't wait to get the pack balanced so I can use the bigger charger!!!

teddillard
04 March 2012, 0728
...glassed in the front tank supports. Did I mention how I HATE fiberglass? :(

ElMotoMike
04 March 2012, 1016
I should have posted this yesterday, but I was swamped prepping for today's shoot. Anyways, yesterday I got myself a new toy. Dont yell at me because it burns gas.

mpipes
04 March 2012, 1518
pics please!

I'll call this.. The Headweave(TM) :)

Made fiberglass straps about 1" wide and wove them over/under the headway cells thus interlocking them together. If I went with thinner straps then added a couple more it would probably lock the cells even better.

I'm not sure if there's a practical application though, even if one built a curved pack you still need a rigid structure to keep the cells from shifting. Doesnt hurt to kick around ideas though. :)

moon
04 March 2012, 1552
Definitely a novel idea!

Skeezmour
04 March 2012, 2029
Today I took my 11 week old son out to his first motorcycle show. I made sure I had the EXR1.0 on the trailer to show it off. After the show I proceded to take the bike and my son over to some friends who had not had a chance to see either.

This pic is the result after one ride.2817

So yes I gave them all the first EV grin of thier life! At one point 3 of us where talking and we all were "Hey where did Todd go", he just couldn't resist taking it out again. He slid up on some walkers, looked over before they even realized that he was there and said "Hi there" then shot off with an even bigger grin on his face. My wife has coined this manuver "Electric Slide".

What a great day!

ZoomSmith
04 March 2012, 2114
Removed the forks from El Gixxer, so I can drop them off at the local cycle shop for rebuild.

SplinterOz
05 March 2012, 0102

;)

kd8cgo
05 March 2012, 0825
This is so cool... The first thing I thought of was those toys with the ribbon and wooden blocks that you can just flip endlessly; they make wallets in the same fashion. The second thing I thought of was "that looks oddly like a suicide vest" like in the movies! Don't get any crazy ideas, but I'm sure you probably know better, Lipo would fit that particular application much better.:eek:

This looks like it could be made into some clothing too, wearable computing, etc. You could probably power a tablet for a couple weeks with a belt of those things. Robot exoskeleton anyone?

I'll call this.. The Headweave(TM) :)

Made fiberglass straps about 1" wide and wove them over/under the headway cells thus interlocking them together. If I went with thinner straps then added a couple more it would probably lock the cells even better.

I'm not sure if there's a practical application though, even if one built a curved pack you still need a rigid structure to keep the cells from shifting. Doesnt hurt to kick around ideas though. :)

Brutus
05 March 2012, 0921
Grabbed the local newspaper off the porch and found my picture and story on the front page! 2825

frodus
05 March 2012, 1628
Today (yesterday actually) I..... got my motorcycle endorsement after completing Basic Rider Training (required in Oregon). Couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

teddillard
05 March 2012, 1701
Congrats, man!

Skahle
06 March 2012, 0043
Way to go Travis!! I got mine in '72 and I've been riding ever since and still love it!

Steve

mpipes
06 March 2012, 0510
This is so cool... The first thing I thought of was those toys with the ribbon and wooden blocks that you can just flip endlessly; they make wallets in the same fashion. The second thing I thought of was "that looks oddly like a suicide vest" like in the movies! Don't get any crazy ideas, but I'm sure you probably know better, Lipo would fit that particular application much better.:eek:

This looks like it could be made into some clothing too, wearable computing, etc. You could probably power a tablet for a couple weeks with a belt of those things. Robot exoskeleton anyone?

Hmmm now you're giving me some ideas I can really use.... hahaha :)

podolefsky
06 March 2012, 2021
...started testing Headway cells from someone local that has a crap load. This is my test setup - power supply with CC/CV limits set. Radio Shack DMM with PC interface recording voltage and a Fluke clamp meter just to double check the current against the PS readout. Right now I'm charging.

Discharge will be with nichrome wire. Probably going to build a little power transistor circuit so I can tune the current to maintain a constant discharge rate.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/podolefsky/EV_project/headway_test_setup (Small).JPG

frodus
06 March 2012, 2028
nice mastech, almost the same one I have. mine doesn't protect against battery draining into the circuit, so I have to disconnect THEN turn off... I forgot and burned out one of my supplies. It's a great supply though.

Wanna borrow my CC400?

Skahle
07 March 2012, 0003
Might test on the tile instead of the carpet just in case something bad happens? That nichrome wire can get pretty warm...

podolefsky
07 March 2012, 0543
Oh, definitely. This was just charging...for discharging, I'll be on tile or take the whole setup to the garage. I just wanted to watch Star Trek so I was working in the living room :D

podolefsky
07 March 2012, 0545
nice mastech, almost the same one I have. mine doesn't protect against battery draining into the circuit, so I have to disconnect THEN turn off... I forgot and burned out one of my supplies. It's a great supply though.

Wanna borrow my CC400?

yeah, seems pretty nice. it's 30V, 5A. can be put in series for 60V, or parallel for 10A. kind of touchy to get it to exactly 3.65V, but once it's there it's stable.

soyachips
08 March 2012, 0242
... found out that Toyota have no plans to release the plug-in Prius here in Australia :mad:

teddillard
08 March 2012, 1102
...bought a $16 drill bit to drill a .60" hole for a $1.50 charging connector. :o

podolefsky
08 March 2012, 1322
...charged 4 Headway cells successfully, found one that died during charging...voltage suddenly dropped to zero.easured resistance of the cell at about 300 mOhm. These were not new cells...but I'm glad this cell wasn't in parallel with 5 others.

Coninsan
08 March 2012, 1405
... took the newest member of my 'family' out for a bit of sun, she arrived yesterday straight from Ireland and isn't particularly EV related, but deffinetly has a alternative heart :rolleyes:

Skahle
08 March 2012, 2237
Today I stopped by Manzanita Micro and caught Gene with his head in a customer's 144V pickup truck and got to see my batteries in real life. His new Dirt Bike was at home but as I was running for the ferry Rich got me on the Quad for a minute. It was a blast! Got a nice little hop as I hit the thumb throttle to launch across the parking lot, whipped it around, raced back and had to run for my ICE bike to catch the boat. That quad is NOT light but it wants to lift the front, you have to choose not to.

My batteries arrived...tomorrow maybe motor mounts and I am unblocked!

Steve

Skeezmour
08 March 2012, 2310
Today I stopped by Manzanita Micro and caught Gene with his head in a customer's 144V pickup truck and got to see my batteries in real life. His new Dirt Bike was at home but as I was running for the ferry Rich got me on the Quad for a minute. It was a blast! Got a nice little hop as I hit the thumb throttle to launch across the parking lot, whipped it around, raced back and had to run for my ICE bike to catch the boat. That quad is NOT light but it wants to lift the front, you have to choose not to.

My batteries arrived...tomorrow maybe motor mounts and I am unblocked!

Steve

If I know your coming I will have it there. Nice looking Magna BTW. We just need to make an electric one. :)

teddillard
09 March 2012, 1741
...made a fuse block out of epoxy, a couple of bolts and the little plastic box the fuse came in. :rolleyes:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/420992_3580618233630_1218396040_33646785_198052502 1_n.jpg

skyclark
09 March 2012, 2018
I love your style Ted.

SplinterOz
10 March 2012, 0018
Today I got the battery pack wired, BMS and charge tomorrow

teddillard
10 March 2012, 0626
I love your style Ted.

Oh crap I got style? :O

Is it the "I'm too damn cheap to buy a proper thing and instead I'm gonna waste all my time making said thing with the crap I have lying around in spite of the fact I may blow my sorry ass up" style? :D

...well anyway, thanks, and it worked great (for the tractor btw).

teddillard
10 March 2012, 1133
...learned that the degree of "EV Grin" corresponds directly to the preposterousness of the project. In this particular case, it escalated to uncontrolled, hysterical laughter while tearing up the yard. :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/64369_3584466609837_1218396040_33648736_108011425_ n.jpg

I think it may have been the 4th gear wheelies that may have tipped me over the edge...

...or maybe it was the TRANSMISSION!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429393_3585232148975_1218396040_33649197_187985216 9_n.jpg

frodus
10 March 2012, 1900
Today I met up with a local shop who's converting a Mini Cooper and they wanted some help configuring/planning their BMS system. Sounds like it'll be pretty easy and the guys are super cool.

mpipes
10 March 2012, 1945
Today I bought a nice heavy drill press.... and got a good start on shaping my custom swingarm, which right now looks a bit scary and frankenstein but I know will work out in the end. :)

helco
12 March 2012, 0128
today im waiting on my flight back to hawaii from auckland NZ ,hoping all the stuff i ordered before i left will be waiting at my shop so i can start on my 12v led light system and read carl V's book so that i can assend further into this EV madness.......

SplinterOz
12 March 2012, 0240
... made my bike into a very bright light...

soyachips
12 March 2012, 0724
... got bored whilst charging my batteries and did some concepts for a trellis frame. The geometry is based on a Norton featherbed frame and the idea was to make something simple to hold a rectangular battery box and use a hub motor like the EnerTrac.

Try to ignore the exhaust pipe :o

yankee1919
12 March 2012, 1000
After a few hours and a couple of beers, finally tore down the donor bike for storage.
Can you find Waldo?2861

Allen_okc
12 March 2012, 1039
:o i see him, i see Waldo - he is behind the rear wheel...

yankee1919
12 March 2012, 1234
Sorry Allen_okc thats the Gnome.:p

teddillard
12 March 2012, 1256
I think either I need more meds or y'all do... :D

moon
13 March 2012, 1913
Made a prototype motor mount, it should work.

Allen_okc
14 March 2012, 0811
:O I have to admit, i fell off the wagon... im a cycle aholic, yes yes its true, i cant seem to stop...

:mad: i try and try but it always wins me over... im so sorry and must apologize... i feel so ashamed...

:cool: Today i rode my little get along... even though i feel ashamed, i liked it, i loved it and im going to do it again Ha Ha and you cant stop me - "sorry, was that a bit over the edge", i feel so ashamed...

Allen_okc
14 March 2012, 1145
today i made my bosses freak out - i designed a sign that uses a transparent aluminum backer panel, with a rout-out channel can that has push through letters and is pegged from the backer panel which is LED lit...

other than the fact i decided to bring forth transparent aluminum, which they thought i was joking about, until they research it and found it does exist... which was a interesting subject...

the shocker is when they priced it - 10 dollars per square inch which made a 4' X 8' sheet $4608 dollars...

im pretty much on the crap list now...

podolefsky
14 March 2012, 1151
other than the fact i decided to bring forth transparent aluminum, which they thought i was joking about, until they research it and found it does exist... which was a interesting subject...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmGjB-G6v8

1320freek
14 March 2012, 1422
Today I...........tell you about yesterday.
I got my battery pack. Woohoo!
NOW.....the headaches really start.
I have mentioned SEVERAL times on this forum that I am NO electrician or electronics person.
I got the sense boards installed and am pretty much hung up for now.
I'm going to take a step back, slow down, and see what's next.
My goal was to be able to run the motor (its installed in the frame) with the battery pack and everything outside the bike prior to installing all of it. But (for me), it seems like that will not happen.
I'm going by the "step by step" instructions on the website and I have to say that what I feel is "step by step" differs a LOT from what they feel is "step by step".
Oh well, I will get through this.

lugnut
14 March 2012, 1553
I'm going to take a step back, slow down, and see what's next.

Don't neglect your battery during your slow down. Although most lithium cells have an extremely low self discharge, the BMS can slowly drain the cells down over a matter of weeks to months. So either keep a regular schedule of checking and charging or remove the BMS for storage.

moon
14 March 2012, 1655
EV grin!
(Thanks Noah!)

podolefsky
14 March 2012, 1847
met moon, and let him ride my bike. got the EV grin for both of us. good times.

(note I am not responsible for any future debt incurred and/or wrath/jealousy of the GF...elmoto at your own risk).

Skeezmour
14 March 2012, 2102
met moon, and let him ride my bike. got the EV grin for both of us. good times.

(note I am not responsible for any future debt incurred and/or wrath/jealousy of the GF...elmoto at your own risk).

We should put that statement at the bottom of offical Elmoto business cards.

teddillard
15 March 2012, 0305
...found this: 2876
...from here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=79982&page=2

Thought it would come in handy. :D And don't ask why I'm perusing the Merry Tiller thread on the Tractor Forum. Just don't ask... :o

Allen_okc
15 March 2012, 0717
don't ask why I'm perusing the Merry Tiller thread on the Tractor Forum. Just don't ask... :o

:eek: Hey Ted, why are you perusing the Merry Tiller thread on the Tractor Forum???

as Ted slaps me upside the head...

podolefsky
15 March 2012, 0729
as Ted slaps me upside the head...

why is Ted always slapping people upside the head? some kinda east coat thing...

teddillard
15 March 2012, 0748
It's a sign of affection. At least in Southie. :rolleyes:

protomech
15 March 2012, 0821
Okay, yesterday.

Received the Zero S ZF9. Rode about 50 miles on the bike (45-50 mph), got an EV grin from my friends' two year-old. Not with the bike on, but he wanted to climb up and monkey with all the switches and mirrors. If you reached for the handlebars he'd shout "No!" and grab them himself ;) After we went back in he hopped on his rocking horse and started rocking back and forth, mumbling bike bike bike to himself..

Today I need to sort out what I'm doing about luggage. I'd really like some way to combine the sport map with the eco regen braking (Zero's talked about this for a while but no details as of yet); failing that, I may reposition the sport/eco switch (fixed to the forks) or add another switch to the handlebars.

Rode to work today, hit 80 mph on the *way in. Expected to rain today. Hope the bike does okay, have every expectation it will.

Allen_okc
15 March 2012, 0927
:cool: congratulations protomech - cant wait till i get that EV grin again...

teddillard
15 March 2012, 1553
:eek: Hey Ted, why are you perusing the Merry Tiller thread on the Tractor Forum???

What's wrong with this picture:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422397_3619015953549_1218396040_33664647_492056829 _n.jpg

...that this wouldn't fix? :D
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425655_3619015033526_1218396040_33664645_311906798 _n.jpg

I know... first tractors, now... this. :o

Skeezmour
15 March 2012, 1614
What's wrong with this picture:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422397_3619015953549_1218396040_33664647_492056829 _n.jpg

...that this wouldn't fix? :D
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425655_3619015033526_1218396040_33664645_311906798 _n.jpg

I know... first tractors, now... this. :o

WAIT WAIT....does this mean I get to call you Farmer Ted? :)

frodus
15 March 2012, 1623
Well the fact that its 115VAC single phase and has little or no starting torque might give you problems. Then converting dc to single phase ac with adjustable frequency might hang you up a bit.

Other than that..... Sounds fun :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

teddillard
15 March 2012, 1653
Tillers have clutches. And note: cord. :cool:

1320freek
15 March 2012, 1742
Got my batteries charging on the bench.
Now I have some time to do my battery mock ups and start the design, layout, and build of the racks for the battery pack.
Getting super pumped about getting this thing going!!

CharlesZaden
15 March 2012, 1836
Got my aluminum plate from Noah, and to add to my worry of someone stealing it off my doorstep because its size and shape is roughly that of a laptop...
he puts it in a dell box lol

skyclark
15 March 2012, 1841
I too got some aluminum from Noah today. Thanks Noah!

teddillard
16 March 2012, 0435
...did a bad bad thing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428185_3622185272780_1218396040_33665680_183636319 2_n.jpg

and then I went to work... :D

Hugues
16 March 2012, 0440
:O
how do you measure the power output on this ? in acres per hour ? or per minute judging by the size of the beast

rabar10
16 March 2012, 0802
Don't till the cord Ted!

frodus
16 March 2012, 0854
Hahaha. Touche Ted!!! good luck. Sounds like fun.

Coninsan
17 March 2012, 0407
Ted the electrifyer, damn :D

Yesterday.. Bought a ****load of new bolts and equipment for laying fibreglass and mounted up the battery box and various bits.. Broke off a bolt in the footrest dohhh.. Gonna lay the fibreglass for the tank and seat monday, exciting :D

teddillard
17 March 2012, 0512
... made battery module v.74664739.889:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/416922_3628720196149_1218396040_33668590_132035102 6_n.jpg

CharlesZaden
17 March 2012, 0749
Ted... have you been break-bending Lexan into the wee hours of the morning again? :O

reminds me that I haven't seen Jon on here in a while... sad :(

teddillard
17 March 2012, 1221
...made a Scary Thing:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427802_3647476465044_1218396040_33680260_162967912 _n.jpg

1320freek
17 March 2012, 1517
Cut a few more tabs off the frame and cleaned up where the tabs were removed.
Made my battery mock up's.

Brutus
17 March 2012, 1545
Had an interesting day of testing behind the shop, a guy pulled up on a 125cc scooter and gave me an old fashioned drag race! Funniest part was he didn't realize it was electric till we got to the other end of the street!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MVmxphARbM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skeezmour
17 March 2012, 2226
Had an interesting day of testing behind the shop, a guy pulled up on a 125cc scooter and gave me an old fashioned drag race! Funniest part was he didn't realize it was electric till we got to the other end of the street!

<iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MVmxphARbM4" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Looks like your having way to much fun my friend :)

teddillard
18 March 2012, 0523
...lost another pound and a half:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429303_3634568222346_1218396040_33671861_916531888 _n.jpg

Couldn't believe the weight difference with an aluminum sprocket... :cool:

Richard230
18 March 2012, 0731
Aluminum sprockets don't weigh much, but they sure wear out quickly - if that is a concern.

podolefsky
18 March 2012, 1156
Aluminum sprockets don't weigh much, but they sure wear out quickly - if that is a concern.

You can get hard anodized ones from Sprocket Specialists. I don't have any long term data, but they should last longer than plain aluminum.

podolefsky
18 March 2012, 1158
...sat in a cafe and watched at least 4 people ogle my bike. Two came in to talk to me - one had investments in a lithium battery separator company. Small world...

Skeezmour
18 March 2012, 1331

...meet my wife for coffee way across town at a little coffee shop with friends. It was fun talking to some friends and watching people (mainly men) stop in their tracks and turn to look at the EXR1.0 . Ride was great (cold) and everything is working well. Used 76wh/mile on my 15.6 mile trip (as measured on my cycle analyst). Looking forward to my battery pack upgrade to get me that much needed voltage bump to 120v nominal.

Also stoped by the local Cycle Gear to look for some new rain paints and boots. While in there had several people asking questions about the bike.

teddillard
18 March 2012, 1353
...found out what happens when you pay too much attention to your electric bike and not enough to your daily ride:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/484530_3637064444750_1218396040_33673331_657709789 _n.jpg

Yes. Those are broken teeth. (...on my SRX 600) I've never seen that before, ever. :o

Guess today is Sprocket Day. And yes, Richard, the new sprocket on the R5e is anodized.

Richard230
18 March 2012, 1408
I had an anodized rear sprocket on my RS50 and that thing was toast in just a few thousand miles. (I think you will find that all aluminum sprockets are anodized.) I guess I am just from the old school. Make it heavy and out of iron. ;)

I don't know what to make of your SRX sprocket. I have never seen one break teelh like that - although the SRX puts a lot of stress on its final drive due to its single-cylinder thumping.

P.S. here is a photo my daughter's first motorcycle.

teddillard
18 March 2012, 1431
One day I need to meet your daughter... :O

Richard230
18 March 2012, 1514
I felt really bad when we sold that motorcycle. My daughter was going off to UCSD and wanted an GS500E to commute with, as the SRX250 was just too small for that 500-mile weekend commute. So we put the bike in the paper and a young man showed up at the door with cash the day after it hit the classifieds. He rode the bike to the end of the block and back and gave us $800. Just as he was riding off with the bike, a young lady called saying that she really wanted the 250 and when I told her that it had just been sold, the poor girl started crying. I still feel bad that she didn't call an hour earlier.

I might add that the SRX was really fast. One time I had my BMW in for service at the dealer and I rode the SRX there on the I-280 freeway with my daughter on the back to pick up my bike. It carried both of us down the freeway for 35 miles at 9000 rpm and 90 mph. That bike would really move for a 250 single, but parts were expensive and took a while to order as none were ever in stock. I wish we had kept it, but I don't think my daughter cared as much for it as I did.

frodus
18 March 2012, 1605
Today I picked up a used AC15 motor and Curtis 1238-6501 controller for x88x..... and tested the controller on the bench.... and it works just fine.

moon
18 March 2012, 1815
Milled the motor mount.
(not bad, eh? First time milling anything, ever.)
(The computer did most of the work)
;)

gijoe460
18 March 2012, 1844
2889289028912892Today I finally got all the ICE parts off of my bike....the build begins...will start a build thread soon!

SplinterOz
19 March 2012, 0048
Turned my bike into a heater...

2 by 1KW 1.2Ohm resisters... draws 32 amps from the battery at about 76volts (yes 2.4kW it actually smokes) I will get a 3rd one so it limits the draw a little more.

teddillard
19 March 2012, 0423
I don't know what to make of your SRX sprocket. I have never seen one break teelh like that

...formed a theory on this. I've been doing a great deal more riding at highway speeds than I ever have. 30 mile highway commute one-way. I've never done that kind of high-speed mileage before, and put some serious miles on the bike last year.

I know the sprocket was worn, and I remember looking at it last summer and the teeth were starting to hook. The chain also ran pretty loose for a while there. I suspect what happened is that the chain rode up on the worn sprocket at high RPM - like 70-80mph, and started breaking off the tips of the already weak teeth.

If this is true, then it certainly shows yet another reason why maintaining correct tension is important. :rolleyes:

mpipes
20 March 2012, 2145
carbon fiber single sided swingarm in the works... it's really.. uhh.. shaping up. :)

Skeezmour
20 March 2012, 2219
....worked a conversion class at South Seattle Comunity College. The car being converted is a 1995 Mustang. This is going to be our daily driver for the 2 or 3 of us that need to drive 55 miles each way to work.

80s TS (older cells) 90ah 23kwh. May add another 8s soon.
Zilla Z2k-EHV controller
Manzanita PFC-75 Charger (up to 18kw output)
Full Manzanita Micro BMS/SOC gear and display
Kostov 11" motor
Now I just need that 3rd brake light that says "Its Electric"

helco
21 March 2012, 1347
today i looked up LED headlights to finish off me 12v system , and at $300 for a DOT approved light that puppy's goin to have to wait till a cash job drops my way!!!!!!!!!!

also Carl V's book turned up in the mail , $7 on line from a second hand book store ($3 postage !) so for $10 i bought my self 3 or 4 sleepless nights while i read it cover to cover at least twice !

CharlesZaden
22 March 2012, 0840
Just bought my motor, controller, and contactor!
so happy to finally be making some significant progress!
now just have to hurry up and wait for it to get here from Cali ... -_-

also a quick shout out to TK over at electricmotorsport for being super cool and helpful :cool:

lugnut
22 March 2012, 1046
Today I tried to post a new thread in News forum. Something is screwed up with it and I could not type into the message window. Anyway, I want to relate this article I thought would be of interest. http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/03/reviews_electricmotorcycles/?pid=2228&viewall=true

teddillard
22 March 2012, 1113
...put a new ad together for Fossils to Flux:

http://www.elmoto.net/vsa_banners/admasterbannersm1.gif

Thanks Mike and also to John (skadamo) at PlugBike.com (http://plugbike.com/) for your support!

Nuts & Volts
22 March 2012, 1915
Talked to President Obama about the electric motorcycles for a few minutes today. The OSU Formula team and the Buckeye Bullet made a very good impression and even got mentioned in his speech today at Ohio State. Gives ya motivation to keep pushing the limits and to say "why not?"

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z160/buckboom00/CAR_obama.jpg

(I'm the young guy on the right, not the sun-burned Itilian :))

frodus
22 March 2012, 2124
Man. That's pretty danged cool. Once in a lifetime thing for most people.

teddillard
23 March 2012, 0221
wait WHAAAAT? When you said you were going to meet "the president" I thought you meant the president of OSU or sumptin. HOLY CRAP man! CONGRATS!!!

1320freek
23 March 2012, 2009
Now my "Today I" post has NO POWER now that Nuts & Volts has a pic with the Pres!
So here is my boring life.........
Today I got my metal for making my battery pack containment system (or boxes as some would say), and I was practicing welding them together. They are aluminum and this project is the first that I have welded AC (Aluminum) with this new welder! I have an inverter welder and WOW.....is it different than using the syncrowave at work! I couldn't BUY an nice bead! TERRIBLE!! So I got more more work practicing before I can actually start on the frames for the batteries.
Yesterday though (successful part of story), I made some lexan covers for my batteries like Noah. Turned out pretty good! Noah....Thanks for the idea!

Hugues
24 March 2012, 0058
today i ...made myself some batteries,
it'a new chemistry, cellulose based, airgel inside (air and hot glue actually),
they are very lightweight and fully recyclable,
not sure how much much power I'm gonna get out of them,
LiPoMo = Li Po Mock-up

Now I'm gonna pickup my frame and see if these little bastards can fit in,
more in my build thread later on.

teddillard
24 March 2012, 1631
... got a really nice compliment (http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2155-Hello-from-TN!). Thank you sir!

:)

billmi
24 March 2012, 1724
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2flEnrJut80... tried out a new camera while riding home from the corner store.

Skeezmour
24 March 2012, 2318
...went to South Seattle Community College where a small group of students took part in a 6 day conversion class. The car that was converted to electric was a 1995 Ford Mustang to be our daily driver at Manzanita Micro.

Well after a long week they were rewarded with a running electric car.

teddillard
26 March 2012, 0254
... well, not today, but this weekend... I got my sponsor panel together and on the trailer, and it made it's first trip- to my son's school to deliver his senior project: The Andover Electric Moped Project! (proud Dad!)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550142_3681988767830_1218396040_33698812_100168981 1_n.jpg

...he's trying to get it finished so he can race dice's Razor at Lebanon in May. :eek:

Spring Break is over, I get my shop back. :D

frodus
27 March 2012, 1109
Today I .... got a Leviton J1772 Evrgreen 120 level 1 portable charging station. 15A so its a perfect match with the DeltaQ.

Stoked.

Pack is coming along well too. Ordered a J1772 receptacle to install on the bike through a buddy.

gijoe460
27 March 2012, 1306
Today i got a head ache....from over planning this thing...i might be nuking it.....

ZoomSmith
27 March 2012, 1532
Today i got a head ache....from over planning this thing...i might be nuking it.....

Easy Joe. Step away from the big red button.. you don't want to hurt anyone.

gijoe460
27 March 2012, 1607
Wait...hunh...how did you know i had a big red button.....and...that it says easy on it....

(their on to me.....)

mpipes
27 March 2012, 2138
4am today, before heading off to the gym I made this carbon axle tube (the one with the bearings in the ends) built around a section of the form I used to shape my swingarm.

Tonight, just finished making another carbon tube, this one 2" inside diameter, which will be the bushing eyes for the swingarm pivot. Made a down and dirty rotating drum around which I can wrap the carbon fiber. Tomorrow morning I'll see if I can separate the carbon without destroying the wooden drum, but if not, then I will have fun destroying a wooden drum too. :)

1320freek
28 March 2012, 1417
......got my first battery box built! Getting closer!! Every step gets me more excited about getting that EV smile!!
And you can't tell, but the lexan cover is installed! Once I get everything lined up and installed in the bike, I will be cutting accesses for the wires.

Skahle
28 March 2012, 1523
Today I got out the dremel and cut off the battery box mounting brackets. Fit tested the Motor Controller and Contactor...controller needed to offset 1/4" to get better clearance under the frame tubes, but everything will fit nicely!

Steve

Allen_okc
29 March 2012, 0511
:O Today i got a brain fart for the next build - a hubbless chopper... :p

Hugues
29 March 2012, 0957
my turn now,
today, i just ordered my motor, controller, batteries, dc-dc, contactor, fuse, throttle,
finally

gijoe460
29 March 2012, 1659
So you are saying ....today you are broke...LOL

moon
29 March 2012, 1746
Ordered 100 40152S Headways from Manzanita, they say the batteries should be here in a week or so!

podolefsky
30 March 2012, 2011
Machined a water cooling plate for Travis to use on his Curtis.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/podolefsky/EV_project/cooling_cnc (Small).jpg

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/podolefsky/EV_project/cooling_top (Small).JPG

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/podolefsky/EV_project/cooling_bottom (Small).JPG

billmi
30 March 2012, 2051
Found an available outlet outside the office building I work in a couple of days a week (where the building manager has already given the thumbs up to charging if there was an available outlet). Waiting now on an answer to whether or not I can park in the sidewalk in the courtyard by the front door. Considering there's a bicycle regularly parked 10 feet away, and they're pretty accommodating, prospects are good.

SplinterOz
31 March 2012, 0037
Pulled apart the battery pack just to find the two bad cells. :(

helco
31 March 2012, 1102
nice plate ,makes me excited to get my machine making shinee stuff for my bike ( if i had an air line near my machine i would have got a clip round the ear from my instructor / dad , blowing swarf all round the shop and into the bed ways !!!) so today i got to work and make custom bathroom fittings to pay for EV stuff ! ( saturday morning work is what earns the cash for the project envelope ! )

Tony Coiro
31 March 2012, 1802
Today, myself and my friend Sean worked on our bikes. His kickstand had started to get a little bend in it which was getting worse so today I busted out my old forge (I had a strange childhood) and fixed it.

Skeezmour
31 March 2012, 2216
Today I spent the money I got from selling my 1993 Mazda Miata on a new battery pack for the EXR1.0 and also to be used in intial testing on my next bike project. I will start a project page for it shortly.

teddillard
01 April 2012, 0306
Today... well, yesterday, I met up with Clark Sopper finally! (skyclark to you, and one the partners of Gotham Machine, Masters of Space and Time, and creator of my Awesome Motor Mount.) I wish I had a video of him riding around the yard on the tractor... :O

He got a chance to see the mount on the bike firsthand, take it for a few spins, and is plotting and scheming a v2.0. All I can say is, watch out Noah. :rolleyes:

podolefsky
01 April 2012, 0942
All I can say is, watch out Noah.

Bring it.

Skeezmour
01 April 2012, 1038
....took the EXR out to breakfast since there was a break in the rain. Bike did great, 67wh/mile for the 12 mile round trip....love it. (FYI that is from the pack, add ~10% if you want to figure from the wall)

moon
01 April 2012, 1131
...'m stuck indoors at work instead of being stuck indoors designing bits for my bike. These six-day work weeks might just be impacting my elmoto time...

Also, its frickin beautiful here in Colorado.

teddillard
01 April 2012, 1205
Today I quit my job. :O

Those who chat me on FB during the work day will all breathe a sigh of relief that they won't have to hear/read me bitching any more about my asshat boss. (I got something in the pipeline, but I don't want to jinx it by talking about it...)

I also got this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556645_3729528796301_1218396040_33723338_164625751 9_n.jpg

...for the car behind it, that has decided it has one cylinder that doesn't wanna cyl anymore. Cause if momma ain't happy (and the MG makes momma happy) ain't nobody happy. :D

And yes. We considered and AC50 and a mess of Headways.

Clark, I also figured out why the tractor wasn't clutching when it should have clutched, and clutched when it shoudn'ta. (Funny what happens when the belt is on the wrong side of the idler gear. I blame beer.)

moon
01 April 2012, 1242
Today I quit my job. :O

Well, that's certainly one way to get more elmoto time. :)

Richard230
01 April 2012, 1436
Is it April First yet? :O

And speaking of April First, I keep thinking that the way to power an EV is to have an electrified overhead roof over our roadways and power your vehicle like they do with bumper cars in an amusement park. That way you could have a really good power to weight ratio and wouldn't need to talk about batteries and BMS boards any more. :rolleyes:

teddillard
01 April 2012, 1551
...yeah, somehow April Fools Day and my (ex) boss seemed like a good fit. :cool:

Should be getting the motor in from Motenergy for the tractor story tomorrow. It's a motor that John designed specifically for this application, it's just like an ME0708, except with double brushes and a 1" output shaft so it fits the stacked pulleys most of those tractor/mowers have.

I have far too much real work to do to waste my time at that FOOLISH place. :D

JJROB80
01 April 2012, 1734
Well Ted i havent been on here long ---so i dont know you very well ,but you sound like a very smart man and if the job wasnt making you happy then you done the right thing. Maybe a career in the EV field would be a good job for ya LOL Good luck in what you end up with

JJ

skyclark
02 April 2012, 0650
Saturday at Teds was a hoot. I'm not sure which was more fun -- blasting the bike around his neighborhood or the lawn tractor around the yard!*
Teds bike is even better in person and it looks great in photos. It's super light and has the character of a proper little race bike.

CharlesZaden
02 April 2012, 1035
well this weekend anyway, I ran into some real beauties :o

I think I'm in love. not sure how m girlfriend's going to take this :rolleyes:

teddillard
02 April 2012, 1131
haz new tractor motor:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560461_3737520036077_1218396040_33727322_135565010 _n.jpg

Motenergy comes through again! Now my son can mow the lawn with it... :rolleyes:

Also got a great writeup from Domenick Yoney at Autoblog Green on the book!

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/04/02/from-fossils-to-flux-is-an-electric-motorcycle-conversion/

(...just LOVE to read them comments lol)

teddillard
02 April 2012, 1610
...annnnnnd. Got a job offer. :cool: SUPER excited! (moooooore LIPO!)

screamingflea
03 April 2012, 2111
Today I was wishing the school would follow Ted's example and convert all those loud, giant lawn mowers to electric. I hate hearing those things while walking around campus.

teddillard
04 April 2012, 0255
...I hate hearing those things while walking around campus.

...and breathing them. And don't even get me going on LEAF-blowers. :O

screamingflea
04 April 2012, 0743
Or the one that woke me up this morning buzzing along the wall of my apartment/ only a few inches of brick from my head! I never thought I'd dislike exhaust tone, but I'm beginning to get there.

SplinterOz
08 April 2012, 0102
Ok got the guts to wire and solder my BMS plug.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/6909953766_d087758847_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/splinter/6909953766/)
BMS plug (http://www.flickr.com/photos/splinter/6909953766/) by Splinter (http://www.flickr.com/people/splinter/), on Flickr

Coninsan
08 April 2012, 1039
Assembled the GT250 front end with kobber grease and the whole nine yards.
Also shaped the gas tank some more to get it bit less traditional looking and a bit more personal. :)

Happy easter :)

teddillard
08 April 2012, 1423
...ate an entire chocolate bunny all by myself.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y5BzYjsTriA/S7S8avr-iaI/AAAAAAAAAj0/6T_mRkEJWFk/s320/Chocolate-Bunny-T-Shirt.jpg

(happy easter!)

Richard230
09 April 2012, 0745
Yesterday, before Easter dinner, my son-in-law and I took the batteries out of my 2010 sepex D&D motor GPR-S chassis so that they could be recycled and the battery-less chassis sold to generate funds for an overhaul of my son-in-law's electric bicycle. (He wants to ditch the 1.9 kW hub motor for something lighter and under 1 kW.) I checked every 2008 50 Ah Hi Power battery on the bike and not a one showed any voltage reading at all. Everything was dead, dead, dead. We now have 25 batteries ready for recycling and a lot of open space on the GPR-S for someone else to fill up with their own batteries and a BMS, if they don't want to use the 24 MiniBMS modules that came off with the cells.

At least the CA chassis registration is valid through this year.

Coninsan
09 April 2012, 1338
...pulled the batteries out of the battery box and connected them on top of the coffee table in preparation for charging and balancing. Cat is on holyday at my mother in laws so no risc for a fried kitty ;)

Skeezmour
09 April 2012, 1353
...pulled the batteries out of the battery box and connected them on top of the coffee table in preparation for charging and balancing. Cat is on holyday at my mother in laws so no risc for a fried kitty ;)

http://youtu.be/5Skf0tTp8PU

Coninsan
09 April 2012, 1416
That's what we don't want ;)
Damn thing's a pure breed and cost $1000..

moon
09 April 2012, 1630
...got a DHL attempt of delivery notice on my door. "We tried to: Deliver _7_ pkg(s.)" WTF? What did I order that would take seven packages...

Walked to get the mail and just about yelped "Batteries!"

WHOOOOOOOOO!

frodus
09 April 2012, 2053
today I got my mbed lcp1768 dev board + parts to eventually do my canbus project. It's gonna gather dust until I get the pack done though.... I can play later.

Got Noah's water cooled heatsink, the thing looks great.

moon
10 April 2012, 1121
Woot! Nothing like a bunch of boxes from China to motivate the mind, body, and soul.

THANK YOU MANZANITA MICRO!

(Yep, I yelled)

Skahle
10 April 2012, 1327
Travis,

That lcp1768 looks pretty good. I am hooked on the M3's, although they are pushing M4 hard right now. I've used a ton of the ST parts, they have a similar proto module to the embed that helps get a jump on projects before the custom board arrives. Do you have a target device to connect to over the CAN bus?

Steve

frodus
10 April 2012, 1437
Going to interface to Curtis controllers and elithion bms for now. Need to read canbus for a display project.

Will add functionality later for elite power solutions bms and charger, elcon charger, soliton, manzanitamicro, synkromotive etc. later. Just getting my feet wet before my contracted programming buddy gets started. Who knows where we'll end up or of we decide to sell it.

teddillard
11 April 2012, 0333
...pulled my batteries and started testing each individual pack (and put my Hobby King order on hold, cause it looks like I'm going to need more than I thought...)

booooooo. :O

I also reaffirmed my belief that a modular hot-swap pack is the Answer. :rolleyes:

moon
12 April 2012, 0931
Got promoted to full machine shop privileges at work.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

screamingflea
16 April 2012, 2059
I've started scheming up my own elmoto. Too bad it will likely never happen...........any time in the next couple years anyways.

frodus
16 April 2012, 2119
Delivered the batteries to the shop, almost fab time.

Also got my circuit boards from BatchPCB for my canbus project.... time to solder!

mpipes
16 April 2012, 2136
Got a good start on two lower control arms for the reverse trike project.

Spent Saturday shaping out foam, spent Sunday laying up carbon, so Today I had lots of razor sharp fly-away threads to grind down before the next round of lay-up and reinforcement.

Unlike Ted, I enjoy working with this stuff.. I mean, yeah it's sticky, messy, annoying at times and you'll get a diabetic's year worth of finger pricks within hours... but the end result is still pretty cool. :)

podolefsky
16 April 2012, 2137
Had more fun with the CNC. I heart corner rounding end mill.

screamingflea
17 April 2012, 1419
Today I realized that a personal bike wouldn't be a race bike and I need to stop designing battery packs off of 8C+ ratings

DaveAK
17 April 2012, 1514
Ordered a COMP Cams camshaft/lifters kit and timing set for my 440.

OOPS!! Wrong forum. :D Too many projects going on as usual.

I did start to reinstall the batteries in my bike though. They graded our road yesterday and swept the road to town today so it's looking like the bike will be back on the road this weekend!

CliC
18 April 2012, 2002
Rode the Zero to a business meeting, then to dinner with the same folks this evening. Wowed an audience of 3 or 4 for 15 minutes ("Damn, that's a real motorcycle!" :)).

Hugues
19 April 2012, 0355
today I ... just received my AC-20 motor, Curtis controller, and some hardware...
so plenty of things to do now to hook this up on a test basis, and plenty of questions coming for sure LOL.

I guess this is a nice moment of a build project, arrving home and seeing all these boxes...like x'mas :D

helco
19 April 2012, 2117
took the front wheel off the VTR and took it to the powdercoaters for a nice new shine green coat , then to wrap it in a nice and sticky duel compound rubber band.....................

podolefsky
20 April 2012, 1108
Got two sweet emails:

One from Kraig Schultz saying he liked my bike (totally random...I'm shocked, my bike is the opposite of aero :) )

Another from some guy who found my site because...well...there was a blog about the Zecoo scooter (http://www.bikeexif.com/zecoo-electric-motorcycle) and people were bitching that it looked like a microwave on wheels. Someone else posted a link to my site to show electric bikes don't have to look stupid...then this guy emailed me and eventually asked how much I'd want for a replica of the GSX-E. Ha!

CliC
20 April 2012, 1543
Rode home in the rain today. While drying the bike, I thought it was surprising that I haven't seen any prospective e-bike buyers ask if you would get electrocuted while riding in the rain :)

SplinterOz
20 April 2012, 1742
At round one of the eFXC in Australia. First race in about an hour. Qualifying times are faster than the slowest 600 bikes.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

SplinterOz
20 April 2012, 2219
Just watched the bikes knock 4 seconds off the lap record from last year. 1:15this year.

jazclrint
20 April 2012, 2231
Just watched the bikes knock 4 seconds off the lap record from last year. 1:15this year.

Crap, I thought this was a shake down run, not an actual race. How many bikes have shown up?

SplinterOz
20 April 2012, 2310
Unfortunately only two. Catavolt and Ripperton in much the same config as last year.

Remember this is the Australian races.

frodus
20 April 2012, 2352
Today I got a package from sparkfun (serial LCD and OBD-II cable) and got my mbed canbus project board working. Gonna try and get it talking to my Audi sometime to test the Canbus side of things.

Also found a race tail for my bike, gonna buy it and sell the one I've got.... makes the bike look DAMN sexy. Kinda like this:

Just gotta get into the shop and finish working on the pack design so the machinist can start making parts.

teddillard
21 April 2012, 0318
...realized that the FIRST ANNUAL ELECTROPALOOZA is in TWO WEEKS! :O

mpipes
21 April 2012, 0725
put together some ball joint sleeves that I'll be able to bond into the carbon control arms... the steel inserts are off-the-shelf sold for hot rod fabrication, allowing use of thread-in ball joints. They normally get welded into a steel control arm. I'm wrapping them with carbon to get a strong bond to the steel as well as forming a flange for bonding into the arm.

teddillard
21 April 2012, 1126
...that just makes me itch. :D

ibjed
21 April 2012, 1423
tore my bike back to bare frame in order to reassemble with a long list of improvements. Hopefully 3rd generation will be more dialed, faster, quicker, more dependable, and more rider friendly. Once it is back, I'll try to get more photos and video... actually I should get some photos of it going back together.

DaveAK
21 April 2012, 1700
Today I got a package from sparkfun (serial LCD and OBD-II cable) and got my mbed canbus project board working. Gonna try and get it talking to my Audi sometime to test the Canbus side of things.
Word of warning on that OBDII cable - it has non-standard DB9 connection. (Not that there's a particular standard, but it doesn't work with their Arduino shield for example.)

DaveAK
21 April 2012, 1702
Today I got the batteries in my bike. I just need to wire a Molex connector on to the BMS and then I can charge it up and get out on the road! (After I fix the front brakes that is.)

mpipes
21 April 2012, 1952
...that just makes me itch. :D

I don't have any problems with itching (use gloves and rasps to avoid the dust of sanding) but I have a knack for finding the sharpest splinters.

gijoe460
21 April 2012, 2327
Breathed a little new life into an old bike....for all the GSXR projects out there..mostly 92-95 slingshot frame.....this rocks....
99-07 hayabusa parts on a 95 GSXR...looks slick and smooth..3069

frodus
22 April 2012, 0115
Word of warning on that OBDII cable - it has non-standard DB9 connection. (Not that there's a particular standard, but it doesn't work with their Arduino shield for example.)

Yeah. Thanks. I have a serial Breakout cable that I'm wiring to the two can connections and +12v and ground.

teddillard
22 April 2012, 0458
...strapped the "micro pack" into the bike securely and took it out for an early-Sunday-morning clandestine run. :rolleyes: We got some voltage sag at full throttle and it's a little slower off the mark, but still got about a 15ft wheelie on takeoff and scairt the bejeezus outta me, so that's good. ;)

...all safe and secure in it's little cave now, local law enforcement none the wiser. :p

DaveAK
23 April 2012, 1020
Today I rode my bike to work. First ride on it since I put it away at the end of last season.

AWESOME!!!!!! :D :D :D

Beautiful sunny morning. Dry roads. 28F. Couldn't have been better.

KawaSpark
24 April 2012, 0755
Started drilling and sawing aluminium for my battery box. Hope it holds, using new rivet gun :-)

mpipes
24 April 2012, 2153
ordered 3 rolls of carbon fiber and more epoxy... more fun work on the way!

teddillard
29 April 2012, 0650
...was told by my wife that I really HAVE to build a car, now. :rolleyes:

mpipes
29 April 2012, 0805
...was told by my wife that I really HAVE to build a car, now. :rolleyes:

Gotcha beat.

I was told by the honey I met at the gym she would help me christen my reverse trike roadster when it's done :D Met her 4 years ago, we connected well because we both share history of overcoming morbid obesity, and now she's divorced.

Progress on the project is sailing along at quite a nice clip. :)

Coninsan
30 April 2012, 1313
..dismounted the big old fairings on my "newest" toy after cleaning out some nasty SU carbs.. Yet another thing stealing time from the T250..

frodus
30 April 2012, 2210
Today I got my RN-42-SM bluetooth module speaking to my Android phone via a terminal program.

mpipes
01 May 2012, 2111
carbon fiber upper/lower control arm and steering spindle assembly... :) waiting on more carbon to build the other upper control arm

teddillard
02 May 2012, 0213
wow. That's sweet, Mike!

Allen_okc
02 May 2012, 0622
:cool: today i learned that mpipes is building a reverse trike, definitely need to check out your project...

frodus
02 May 2012, 2123
Today I finally got to the shop and started measuring the front upper fiberglass so I can cut 2 round holes for the headlights.... getting fiberglass stuff tomorrow at lunch so I can work on it this week/weekend. My buddy is resuming work on the pack, hopefully have something to show next week.

__Tango
03 May 2012, 2354
...am getting ready to go to the TTXGP. Earlier this week i figured out (at least i hope i figured out) which cell in my pack is sagging BAD.

Allen_okc
04 May 2012, 0651
;) today i actually started welding the reverse trike together, looks hideous...

:O need to widen the a arms for sure...

teddillard
05 May 2012, 1315
...found out why my wife's MG is blowing oil.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545090_4013710420664_1218396040_33838283_709490357 _n.jpg

Oh wait. Wrong forum. No, how bout if I call this, "why I couldn't work on my electric motorcycle today"?

ZoomSmith
05 May 2012, 1844
Ted, sounds like a good time to convert the MG!

screamingflea
12 May 2012, 0631
Not quite today, but a couple days ago, I got to ride our bike for the first time!!! What a blast.
But as for today, I'm graduating with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. Hooray!

__Tango
12 May 2012, 0738
Not quite today, but a couple days ago, I got to ride our bike for the first time!!! What a blast.
But as for today, I'm graduating with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. Hooray!

Gratz!

SplinterOz
12 May 2012, 1710
cogratulations on both cases.n

teddillard
13 May 2012, 0806
...got the MG buttoned up, started, and made momma very very happay. And you know what they say. :D

Also got a suspension bike for free (my favorite four-letter word), a line on a motor that's "way too powerful for a bike, and by that I mean just right"*, and started hatching my next project. I blame liveforphysics. :p

*yes, of course, remotecontact.