PDA

View Full Version : Motor alignment

moon
19 March 2012, 1608
What's the most effective, precise way to verify good alignment of the output shaft to the rear axle/sprocket?

My search-fu is weak today.

frodus
19 March 2012, 1702
I used angle iron. Lined it up to the rear sprocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

electriKAT
20 March 2012, 0830
Someone on this board advised me when I did mine (EVcycle, or ZoomSmith?). It is a simple, but effective method.

First, install your motor mount plate without the motor. Insert a long piece of allthread through one of the holes in the plate so the allthread is parallel to the rear axle. Use washers and nuts on either side of the plate to lock the allthread in place. Now measure the distance from the allthread to the rear axle on each side of the bike. Adjust the motor mount plate until the distance on each side is equal. You will also want to use a level on the motor mount plate to make sure the plate is vertical. Once you've got all of your spacers figured out to get the proper alignment, remove the plate, install the motor, and then reinstall everything using the spacers.

Another neat trick is for aligning the drive sprocket with the rear sprocket. Let me know if you want me to write that up. It's a little hard to explain without pictures.

CharlesZaden
20 March 2012, 0904
Thank you for this tread Moon :)

Another neat trick is for aligning the drive sprocket with the rear sprocket. Let me know if you want me to write that up. It's a little hard to explain without pictures.
yes please!
perhaps we should just have a general "Tips and Tricks" thread... hmm... :confused:

ZoomSmith
20 March 2012, 1234
someone on this board advised me when I did mine (EVcycle, or ZoomSmith?). It is a simple, but effective method.

I think that was WWC (http://www.evalbum.com/2003).

I used a machinists square on the swingarm pivot. You have to be careful referencing the rear axle since it's not fixed.

electriKAT
20 March 2012, 1246
Maybe sticky this thread?

OK, here goes. This is the best picture I could come up with on the spot. Perform this procedure *WITHOUT* the chain.

Tie a string around the rear wheel.
Run the string across the rear wheel sprocket up to the drive sprocket.
Pull it tight so that it contacts the rear edge of the rear wheel sprocket.
Adjust the horizontal placement of the drive sprocket on the motor shaft so that the string will touch the outside edge of the drive sprocket and the leading edge of the rear wheel sprocket at the same time.
Lock the drive sprocket in place.

electriKAT
20 March 2012, 1253
I think that was WWC.

I used a machinists square on the swingarm pivot. You have to be careful referencing the rear axle since it's not fixed.

That link doesn't look familiar. It must have been Ed (EVcycle).

Your rear axle had better be fixed before you try to ride or you're in for a heap o' trouble :O
I understand what you're getting at, but if I can assume you've got the rear wheel square in the swing arm, this method will align your motor mount plate square with the rear axle. And that's what you're trying to do. Not to say your method won't work just as well.

moon
23 March 2012, 1421
These are some great tips, thanks! I tried the allthread method and it worked great, when I get sprockets I will try out that method as well.

Good posts!

EVcycle
23 March 2012, 1426
Not sure it was me either..... All of us help everyone we can.... :) :)

http://juiceddragracing.com/CR9.JPG