PDA

View Full Version : Formula 50LC

Lyconthrous
27 March 2012, 1937
Warning
“Nob at work”
“Planning Stage”

Well I've been reading up on the subject and for my 1st build, I've been thinking of starting with my Italjet Formula 50LC. Those who've read Ted's transmission thread know I've been thinking about using the CVT instead of using a fab'd swing arm for a direct drive. At times I think it might be easier to go direct drive, but at times it's more fun to jump into the deep end, sink or swim. Another seemingly popular choose is the use of 1 of the large RC motors that has been used on a similar build by other people. The main goal is to at least have equal performance as the 50LC with a 20 to 30 mile range. Since my scooter is buried in a garage, I hunted down some pictures on the web to help me figure out what I need to do. I found a good picture of a 50LC the same color as mine, so you can see what I'm starting with. I've been going through the manual to see what fun I'll have mating the motor to the CVT. I've got the wire diagram color coded and most of the unneeded systems marked for removal. Finding some of the part won't be to bad, other I'll need to contact people over in Europe since Italjets are more popular there then in the states.

Lyconthrous
29 March 2012, 1332
For controllers, most people have been using RC ECS's with this motors and some people have been working at getting the Kelly and other brand controllers to work with them. I was planning on using a Alltrax Axe, but that's out since that don't work with this motors. So that's 1 more thing to research. For batteries, I was impressed with what Ted didn't with the RC lipo packs. I've since seen them used on other builds. Then the Headways are promising due to the fact I can custom size the battery to match the space available in the frame. My 1st thought about battery placement was where the gas tank was, but even though there's room there, keeping the weight lower is better, but having weight right over the back wheels isn't that bad either. There's space under the floorboards where the radiator hoses go. But I'll need to fab some kind of shield to protect the battery pack.
As far as hooking up the motor to the CVT, there's 2 different approaches, 1 using the crankshaft to connect to the motor and the other using the motor shaft to connect direct to the CVT. Well before I make that call, I've complied a list of small motors that might fit in the engine without taking too much of the casing out and weaken the swingarm. Once I have the swingarm out, I'll measure the actual space available and make my final decision on which motor to use. Here's the manuals layout of the engine showing the crank/CVT connection.

sokon
31 March 2012, 0612
Hello, nice project.

I am currently doing a formula 125 ;)