PDA

View Full Version : E-bike Design project (university)

Antoninow
29 March 2012, 0907
Hi! I'm designing an electric sport bike following the TTXPG rules for a module in my university, but I am having really hard time finding blueprints or maybe some sort of drawing of the frame that could give me a clue of the volume available to place the motor, batteries, converter, etc.

Any of you have that kind of information by any chance?

Thank you all!

Nuts & Volts
29 March 2012, 0938
This is very dependent on the specific frame and this information is not readily available for most bikes. The best thing to do is get the frame and measure everything, that is what most of us do on here. That being said if you let us know which frames you are considering we maybe be able to provide some info for you. Like I am familiar with/can measure an 03 Yamaha R6, 04 Yamaha R1, and 89 Suzuki Katana frame.

-Kyle

Antoninow
29 March 2012, 1326
Yes, That's why I wasn't actually asking for one specific but any info of any sport bike in general

Well since it is important for me to minimize the weight I would ask you if you could help me out with the Yamaha R6, I looked up the specs and it seems that it is the lightest one, I see from your blog that you are transforming that one as well, I don't know a thing about bikes but the whole converting a normal bike to an E-bike it's quite fascinating.

Thank you

Arturo

Antoninow
01 April 2012, 1708
This is very dependent on the specific frame and this information is not readily available for most bikes. The best thing to do is get the frame and measure everything, that is what most of us do on here. That being said if you let us know which frames you are considering we maybe be able to provide some info for you. Like I am familiar with/can measure an 03 Yamaha R6, 04 Yamaha R1, and 89 Suzuki Katana frame.

-Kyle

Hi Kyle, I would like to ask if you can please help me out with some of the specs of the Yamaha R6, and if you could include any drawings you might have from the frame to illustrate better where can I locate the devices in general, I know that I'm not building the bike but it is very difficult to develop an accurate design without any physical volume to locate everything.

Nuts & Volts
01 April 2012, 2042
Do u have a CAD program? I took a bunch of measurements then found a CAD model of the engine to help doublecheck my numbers. Ive been pretty busy and the measurements arent all in a single drawing, but ill see what I can do this week to post something. Ill link a download for the engine model as well

seanece
02 April 2012, 0511
Arturo, note that if you look online, there are several resources available for downloading CAD models ranging from tires to frames (http://grabcad.com).

Also, if you are in the states, there are several resources available for college teams and students to get free CAD software (Solidworks is the first that comes to mind). Finally, if you have never made an electric conversion before, I would highly suggest Cardboard Aided Design.

What university are you from Arturo?

Allen_okc
02 April 2012, 0548
Antoninow - goto a motorcycle bone yard, there you might find the answers you are looking for...

Antoninow
02 April 2012, 0548
I'm from the university of Nottingham in the UK,my lecturer is Patrick Wheeler you can search for him in the ttxgp site he is one of the technical judges in the isle of man race track, yes I think I have several drawing software I can access in the university labs so I'll check the files on my university and see if I can work something up, I'll come back to you when I have a draft report of my calculations so everyone can give it a look maybe, thank you so much!

Antoninow
12 April 2012, 1739
Hi kyle!, any news with the drawings? I can manage to find whatever CAD you are using in the university they have from Solidworks to autocad, since I am not a mechanical student I need to ask permission but that's ok, again I would really appreciate any help you can provide me regarding this project, I have a couple of drafts for the batteries and the motor I'm suggesting an agni 95R motor with twelve of this batteries http://www.electricmotorsport.com/st...f_gbs_60ah.php 6 in parallel, the bike has to run a track of 20 miles, so I think that should be more than enough to run the bike from stall to a speed of 100 Km/h (60 mph) and complete the track in maybe 20 minutes ( is a 20 mile track)

Well please let me know if you can help me out with this, thank you again mate

Nuts & Volts
12 April 2012, 1906
Your going to want higher voltage on that AGNI to make it worth it. at least 20s, but preferably 24s. That will give you over 65mph with acceptable acceleration.

liveforphysics
12 April 2012, 1918
Starting with the lightest motorcycle possible to convert for racing is a common mistake.

Start with a bike that handles well at a weight that is similar to your final electric converted weight.

If you start with a light bike, and then make it heavier than it's original design weight, you end up needing to do lots of work replacing suspension and brake components with parts from heavier bikes to try to make it handle at a racing capable safe/balanced level.

In other words, the best chassis is a light-ish racing bike that has the largest percentage of it's mass coming from it's motor/tranny (because this large weight will be removed and replaced with an electric motor and batteries).

IMHO- Look at 1000cc race bikes, GSXR1000, CBR1000, ZX10 ZX12, etc.

gijoe460
12 April 2012, 2025
Definitely ...good call, i never even though of that for bikes....and i give people advice the same way for cars...never even thought of for my bike....looks i need to go back and double check some numbers, just to post jump, on some great advice!

Starting with the lightest motorcycle possible to convert for racing is a common mistake.

Start with a bike that handles well at a weight that is similar to your final electric converted weight.

If you start with a light bike, and then make it heavier than it's original design weight, you end up needing to do lots of work replacing suspension and brake components with parts from heavier bikes to try to make it handle at a racing capable safe/balanced level.

In other words, the best chassis is a light-ish racing bike that has the largest percentage of it's mass coming from it's motor/tranny (because this large weight will be removed and replaced with an electric motor and batteries).

Antoninow
13 April 2012, 1308

I'm actually doing my calculation using the weight of a GSXR1000 and since I haven't got any blueprints or drawings of that bike I was taking an average of the volume this bike may have available in the middle part after taking all the mechanical parts this bike should weight about 110Kg, just the frame, fork, wheels, etc... I did a rough calculation of the torque a need and is about 50 N-m in the motor with a sprocket ratio of 1:5, the space available I calculated is about 125000 cubic cm, but that's taking a box of 50 cm side as the middle part of the bike, with a weight of 200 just the bike, after adding the motor, controller, batteries and everything (around 100Kg I estimate) this gives 210 Kg + driver 310 Kg, with an acceleration of 2.2 m/s^2 is a 682 N force to move the bike, just to overcome the acceleration force, giving the radius of the wheel aprox 0.32 m we get 218 N-m with a ratio of 1:5 the motor should deliver 43.6 N-m to move the bike, the batteries should deliver at least 320 A (for say 10 seconds) with the Agni 95 @ 72 V... around 21 KW with an efficiency of 90%

Zachary Rubin
13 April 2012, 2246
the google 3d warehouse is pretty awesome, for example heres an r6 for ya : http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=e7c8dd1efb78b8baba85a673915bd3d&prevstart=0

Constantine
16 April 2012, 0713
Hello friends. I'm new here. First of all sorry for my bad english. I'm from Lithuania and i'm studying in university there..and now i't time for project. I have the same trouble.. Need to convert a motorcycle, but the main accent in my project is transmission..how to transfer torque to the wheel..maybe i could use variator (variable-speed gear) or something? i would be glad if someone could help me with this.
Second problem is motorcycle drawings..(AutoCad) something like Yamaha R1, Suzuki GSXR1000 or something like this.
Will wait for your reply.

Antoninow
22 May 2012, 1308
Well as I said... Iwas doing a theoretical project of an E-bike I just finished here is http://www.sendspace.com/file/tc4mlv the link is a 15 page report because that was the limit, I think you guys know more than me the research and lecturing regarding every component of the bike can't actually be resume in 15 pages but what the hell... hope its useful or at least gives some idea on how to actually figure out some of the calculations...

Cheers! thanks you all for the help you were very kind!