PDA

View Full Version : Today's Tesla news

Richard230
10 May 2012, 1041
My newspaper reports that Tesla will be delivering their Model S sedan in June, a month earlier than originally planned. Unfortunately, they still are not making money. During the first quarter of this year they lost $89.9 million, compared with a loss of $48.9 million during the same quarter a year ago. Tesla's stock rose 5.7% on this news in after-hours trading, after closing at $30.06 a share yesterday.

skyclark
10 May 2012, 1320
Thats a pretty wild burn rate considering how long they have been doing it. I suppose the spike is related to the production ramp up.

malikinam
11 May 2012, 0620
i am a news reporter but in my record there is no such kind of report.

Richard230
11 May 2012, 0713
i am a news reporter but in my record there is no such kind of report.

The information that I posted about Tesla was contained in an article in the "Business and Technology" section of the San Mateo County Times, published by Mercurynews.com on Thursday, May 10th. The article was written by Dana Hull, a reporter for that organization.

Richard230
23 May 2012, 1450
Tesla is in the news again. In an article written by Jerry Hirsch of the LA Times (and printed in my local paper), it is reported that the first Model S sedans will be delivered to customers starting June 22. Tesla says that it has more than 10,000 orders for the car but not all will be delivered this year as they don't have the capacity to meet that initial demand.

One interesting comment in the article is that Tesla says that the Model S will let drivers adjust the steering feel between comfort, standard and sport modes and will be able to set a preference for suspension and ride height. Drivers will also be able to adjust the regen braking feel, but they warned that a lighter touch will feed less energy back into the battery pack and reduce the car's range.

Zero to 60 mph time is said to be less than 6 seconds. The price of the Model S ranges from $49,900 to $97,900, depending upon the size of the battery pack and various options ordered. Naturally, the car is eligible for the $7,500 Federal Tax credit. Early sales of the car will be for the most expensive models (I think there is an electric motorcycle company that is doing the same thing :rolleyes: ).

Morgan Stanley forecasts that Tesla will sell close to 3,000 cars this year, 16,000 next year and 19,000 the following year. This would make Tesla the first U.S. auto startup company in many decades to launch volume production of a new car. (Was the last one Tucker? :cool: )

Richard230
26 July 2012, 0932
The Tesla Model S may be sold out for this year, but according to an article in today's newspaper, written by Dana Hull of mercurynews.com, they have only delivered 10 Model S cars since the big roll-out on June 22. It seems like they are having problems with their suppliers delivering parts on time and the quality of some of the out-sourced components are not meeting their specifications. Tesla says that they are on track to deliver 5,000 units this year but some analysts are not so sure. Tesla says that they have made a total of 40 Model S sedans to date, but they are having minor production glitches right now, however they will ramp up production to 20,000 units during 2013.

Allen_okc
26 July 2012, 1024
there are two of them here in oklahoma city...

frodus
26 July 2012, 1235
My buddy is getting one. Waiting for delivery.

electriKAT
26 July 2012, 1541
I didn't want to brag, but I rode in one a week and a half ago when the "Get Amped" tour came through DC. It's everything they say and more!
Four of my friends have reservations.
Here are some pictures (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9064-Get-Amped-Tour-Washington-D-C-7-13-7-15/page15?p=165867&viewfull=1#post165867)of the DC event, including one of my Th!nk City.

EVcycle
26 July 2012, 1633
I had the chance to drive one at the Hilton Head Concours d'elegance event last year. Coooool car, but It is a tight fit
for a 6' 195lb person. Still, I want one. :)

electriKAT
26 July 2012, 1714
Are you sure you're talking about the model S? I am 6'1", 215lbs and I comfortably rode in the back.

EVcycle
26 July 2012, 1823
Not me, it was the sport version. I know they are going to discontinue
the smaller version. I have yet to see a "S" version.

liveforphysics
26 July 2012, 1853
The S version feels very large inside, as large as any luxury car's seating.

It's a 100% different chassis than a Tesla you sat in a year ago. ;-)

EVcycle
26 July 2012, 1908
Good to hear.....still more than I can afford compared to the LEAF we have.

Richard230
06 November 2012, 1644
An article in my newspaper today, written by Dana Hull of mercurynews.com, says that Tesla posted a third-quarter loss of $110.8 million, or $1.05 a share, compared with a loss of $105.6 million or $1 a share during the second quarter. However, the company says that it remains on tract to deliver 3,000 Model S cars in the fourth quarter. Investors cheered the news of the higher production claim and boosted the shares of the company by 8.6% to $31.50 a share. A sidebar says that Tesla has built 350 cars during the third quarter and delivered 250 cars to customers. They expect to deliver 2,500 to 3,000 cars by the end of the year and they expect to deliver more than 20,000 cars in 2013. Current production of Model S sedans is claimed to have increased to 400 cars per week, up from 200 cars per week in October. CEO Elon Musk says that the company has turned the corner and is on track to make a profit next year. He says that the company has 13,200 customers who have reserved a Model S, up from 11,500 at the end of the second quarter. About 20% of the reservations are coming from Europe. From 10 to 15% of reservations holders cancel before their sale is locked in. However one analyst is not so sure that they will become profitable next year and believes that R&D costs will continue to eat into their bottom line. He (Carter Discoll of Capstone Investments) says that the stock is overvalued and that the company is glossing over their deficiencies.

Warren
13 November 2012, 0757
This would help their sales no doubt.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/13/us-tesla-ev-idUSBRE8AC03O20121113

Imagine what a $10K tax credit would do for EL Moto sales? Can you say, "free 2013 Zero FX?" Think that would kick start the EV revolution?

CliC
13 November 2012, 0849
Was the EV credit ever restored for this year?

Richard230
13 November 2012, 1439
The way Congress is looking to cut the budget by cutting tax deductions, I am not putting any money on seeing the EV credit return.

Speaking of the Tesla Model S, it has been widely reported in the national news today that Motor Trend magazine has named the Model S to be its 2013 "Car of the Year". :) The Model S beat out cars such as BMW's new 3-series sedan, Ford Motor's Fusion sedan, Honda Motor's revamped Accord and Toyota Motor's 2013 Lexus GS. This is the first time in their history that the magazine has ever given the award to an electric vehicle.

MT's editor-in-chief, Edward Loh, is quoted as saying: "It is a testament not only to the luxury sedan and electric car segment, but to American engineering overall, to be the first car in the 64-year history of the award to be powered by something other than gasoline must mean it is very special."

Tesla's stock rose $1.18, or 3.8% to $31.25 in extended trading Monday. The company's stock shares have increased 8.8% this year.

It would be great if Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines created a category for electric motorcycles during their MOY award issue next year.

Richard230
30 November 2012, 1129
My newspaper reports that Tesla will be raising the base price of their Model S vehicles by $2,500 to $59,900 starting next year. However, anyone reserving a Model S by the end of this year will be able to buy one at this year's price of $57,400. Next year's cars will come with 12-way adjustable heated front seats as standard equipment, which was previously an extra cost option.

Perhaps a more interesting item is that Tesla also announced that customers will be able to buy replacement battery packs for their cars at a fixed price of $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery pack.

In unrelated news, another solar panel manufacturing plant has gone bust. In Mississippi, after dumping $26 million of taxpayer funds into Twin Creeks Technologies, a San Jose, CA solar tech firm manufacturing plant, the company is liquidating its assets, including the new plant. Twin Creeks had promised to invest at least $132 million and create at least 500 new jobs in exchange for loans, tax breaks and other public aid. The plant never hired more than 25 people, their solar panels never preformed like expected and low-cost Chinese panels all were said to drive them out of business. Now the state, local governments, private creditors and investors are fighting over what little remains of the company.

Skeezmour
30 November 2012, 1154
WOW that is cheap! Love it

billmi
30 November 2012, 1203
It's not just MotorTrend singing the praises of the Model S:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/273596976526942209/photo/1

Allen_okc
30 November 2012, 1405
at 59,000, my concerns is will my bank consider its resale value enough for me to take a loan out to buy a tesla...

__Tango
30 November 2012, 1508
Perhaps a more interesting item is that Tesla also announced that customers will be able to buy replacement battery packs for their cars at a fixed price of $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery pack.

Crikey, that's $0.14/Wh for the 85kWh Pack. How may elmotos can we make with that? I wonder if they make you return the original pack? :)

Excuse me while i go look in my couch for loose change...

BaldBruce
30 November 2012, 1922
Those prices are for a PREPAID battery pack 8 years from now. Still want to buy one? When you buy the Model S, you have 90 days to elect to pay for the replacement battery. Completely transferable, but cannot be exercised before the 8 year warranty expires. A PR move to make people more comfortable now with EVs. If you beleive TESLA will be around in eight years and prospering, buy their stock instead and you should be able to affrod any battery pack they will be selling in the future!