PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki TT-Zero Racer

Richard230
22 May 2012, 0800
Visordown reports that there will be a Kawasaki electric racer entered into the TT-Zero race. It looks like an independent effort. Read more here:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--racing-news/kawasakis-tt-zero-racer/20696.html

Skeezmour
22 May 2012, 0908
Wish them all the luck but think they are going to be very shy on energy needed.

mechanic
22 May 2012, 1107
Wish them all the luck but think they are going to be very shy on energy needed.

BUT... they have a 6-speed Brammo-esq gear box, certainly that will help?! No? Think they should have batteries where they put the transmission? really?

Actually a KERS motor is a very high RPM (20,000-30,000) low torque motor so a large gear reduction is needed, maybe the gear box was the easiest way to get to a 3:1-5:1 primary reduction.

Seriously though, how energy do you think MotoCzysz and Lightning have (12.4-14kWh) on board? Mugen looks to be heavy, wondering how much kWh they have packed (more than 14kWh)?

This will be an Epic elmoto race.

Skeezmour
22 May 2012, 1230
Well seeing as how I'm involved with both MotoCzysz and Lightning I know both packs are north of 14kwh. Like I said I hope they do well but think just in basic requirements to turn a 100+mph average run for 37miles your going to use a fair bit of energy.

The fact the the Lightning bikes have more than enough power to wheelie at will anywhere on the track says that a transmission really wouldn't help them. But the race is soon and we will see who comes out on top. (Wish I had a good way to watch :( )

mechanic
22 May 2012, 1430
Well seeing as how I'm involved with both MotoCzysz and Lightning I know both packs are north of 14kwh. Like I said I hope they do well but think just in basic requirements to turn a 100+mph average run for 37miles your going to use a fair bit of energy.

The fact the the Lightning bikes have more than enough power to wheelie at will anywhere on the track says that a transmission really wouldn't help them. But the race is soon and we will see who comes out on top. (Wish I had a good way to watch :( )

Of course wheeling is the result of a poor design/set-up and results in a slower lap time but does illustrate the single gear torque argument.

North of 14?! Then 11.xx is not going to cut it. Wonder about Mugen? have an educated guess?

Lightning looks to have a much bigger pack then MotoCzyz as the Lightning bike is physically much larger, MotoCzysz (looks like a 250) but always beats Lightning so maybe Lightning's pack is just not as dense/effecient? Any idea on this? I find this puzzling and hope the 100mph goes to an American team.

Skeezmour
22 May 2012, 1442
When Barnes was passing GSXR1000 bikes on front straight with his wheel 2 feet off the ground I would say they are moving pretty well.

No idea about the Mugen bike, curious to find out though. Got a picture with the new MotoCzysz pack 2 weeks ago but will not be able to post it till after the event, NDA agreements and all that fun stuff.

Nuts & Volts
22 May 2012, 1557
Of course wheeling is the result of a poor design/set-up and results in a slower lap time but does illustrate the single gear torque argument.

North of 14?! Then 11.xx is not going to cut it. Wonder about Mugen? have an educated guess?

Lightning looks to have a much bigger pack then MotoCzyz as the Lightning bike is physically much larger, MotoCzysz (looks like a 250) but always beats Lightning so maybe Lightning's pack is just not as dense/efficient? Any idea on this? I find this puzzling and hope the 100mph goes to an American team.

It has a lot to do with the different batteries that each machine is using. MotoCzysz uses Kokam, while the Lightning uses Ener1 cells. The Kokam cells are quite a bit more (~30%) volumetric-ally energy dense. I think MotoCzysz has the advantage of having more years of experience with custom chassis and composite design.

Richard230
30 May 2012, 1512
It looks like the Kawasaki e-racer is not quite ready for prime time: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/kawasaki-zytek-zx10ev-out-tt-zero/