PDA

View Full Version : Repost - How many miles did you get from ETEK-R brushes? 700 miles?? Battery cost/mil

EVcycle
08 September 2010, 1841
There is an informative post in EValbum with a detailed story about his electric motorcycle conversion. Seems he had numerous problems, and solved them. His story should be useful to a lot of elmotos in progress.

His 1975 Kawasaki Z1 conversion also answers the question as to how much the battery replacement cost, per file, really is: $320 (AGM lead acid blems, discounted) for 2600 miles, or 12 cents per mile, not including labor and electricity costs.

However, if his ebike is 72V with 85AH AGM batteries, he wold need 6 AGMs. In my experience, the normal retail cost of an 85AH deep cycle AGM sealed lead acid battery is $280 EACH plus taxes plus environmental fee, or approximately $300. If he paid retail, Mr. Fox would have run costs of $1800 to drive 2600 miles on his elmoto; which is $0.69 per mile not including electricity, wear and tear, etc.

At 69 cents per mile (42 cents per milometer), the electric motorcycle isn't competitive with gasoline-burning motorcycles, imo.

The lesson from Mr. Fox? Let's all buy blemished batteries, if using lead acid chemistry batteries. Or perhaps revived batteries. The Lithium conversion is much lighter (if the cost of Thundersky batteries is OK) since the battery weight dropped from 260 lbs to 80 lbs.

http://www.evalbum.com/1291

MY QUESTIONS:

1. How many miles did you get from a set of Etek-R brushes?
2. What do these brass sleeves look like, and why are they worn?
3. How to check ETEK-R brushes easily on a Native Z6 or similar el-moto without having to remove the motor?

EVcycle
08 September 2010, 1842
1. How many miles did you get from a set of Etek-R brushes? Not sure, Still working on them and have over 800 miles on them ....they still look new.

2. What do these brass sleeves look like, and why are they worn? What are brass sleeves?

3. How to check ETEK-R brushes easily on a Native Z6 or similar el-moto without having to remove the motor? - Pull the back cover and look for wear/damage?

Etek Ed

EVcycle
08 September 2010, 1846
Since this was posted a while ago I actually burned up a set of brushes (September 2010).

BUT!!!
They were some of the original "100" that were not done correctly and then redesigned. I called Mars Electric this week and they sent me a NEW set of the redesigned Brushes for FREE!!

This motor has been in the bike for a year and half and still, no questions, free parts.

That is customer Service!

EV Ed