PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki gsxr 1300 hayabusa runs on electricity? It sure will :)

theFREElaker
07 June 2012, 1049
Hello everyone! I have been thinking about/researching/dreaming about what kind of bike I want to convert and what I want to throw inside of it to make me smile everytime I crank the throttle. I have my mind set on converting a Suzuki gsxr 1300 hayabusa. I want this particular bike because it is sexy, I don't think anyone has done an e conversion on it, it has tons of room for batteries and a big motor and it happens to have one of the best coefficients of drag. Some things that I am looking for in this conversion
1. Range of about 40-45 miles traveling at 70mph
2. Top speed of about 85ish if not more
3. Outstanding acceleration

The type of hardware I am currently looking at:
1. 2007 Suzuki gsx1300r hayabusa rolling chassis
2. Ac20 or ac35 with the 1238-7601 Controller (see emf-power.com for more details)
3. ~36 gbs 60ah or 100ah cells depending on budget and size

I am posting all of this to get everyone's feedback. This will be my first conversion and I am open to everyone's thoughts, criticisms and whatever else you can throw at me! Please feel free to tear my idea apart or build onto it. I don't have the bike yet but I am hoping to get ahold of it by the start of July. We shall see.
Fire away

Brutus
07 June 2012, 1110
I think you are on your way to a great conversion!

Skeezmour
07 June 2012, 1139
An AC35 geared for 90mph top speed would be a beast. I would shoot for the 100ah cells so that you can reliably get all the power possible from the controller. Now that would be a very healthy size pack on a conversion (11.5kwh) and should easily get you 70+miles at 70mph. Now if you can't fit all of it just lower your voltage a bit (probably shoot for 96v).

Hope you do this project. Think it would make an awesome bike.

podolefsky
07 June 2012, 1147
Sweet! A converted 'busa would be so awesome.

I have GBS 60Ah cells and the 7601 (650A) controller. The 60Ah cells are pretty stiff and I can pull over 650A without sagging below 2.5V. 100Ah would have an easier time, but it's going to be really tough to fit that many 100Ah cells even in a busa frame...especially with an AC-35 tucked in there too.

Headways would let you get more volts and/or Ah in there, but it's a much more involved build process.

theFREElaker
07 June 2012, 1355
Sweet! A converted 'busa would be so awesome.

I have GBS 60Ah cells and the 7601 (650A) controller. The 60Ah cells are pretty stiff and I can pull over 650A without sagging below 2.5V. 100Ah would have an easier time, but it's going to be really tough to fit that many 100Ah cells even in a busa frame...especially with an AC-35 tucked in there too.

Headways would let you get more volts and/or Ah in there, but it's a much more involved build process.

Yea, I'm not sure that I'm up for doing a headway setup, seems like a lot more work than a CALB or GBS setup and it is a lot more expensive (right?). I mean the 36 100ah cells with a bms will be around $5,500 themselves or maybe more and that is kind of already pushing the price limit. Nonetheless, I'm not afraid to throw more cash at it to make it just want I want :)

A-Bomb
07 June 2012, 1403
Sounds like a good one! So true about the Busa being aerodynamic, relatively speaking anyway. That may be a conversion that actually drops a few pounds.

Hey Brutus,
I noticed your avatar. Cool looking bike. Was that a Ducati Monster? Anywhere I can see more pics?

podolefsky
07 June 2012, 1408
Yea, I'm not sure that I'm up for doing a headway setup, seems like a lot more work than a CALB or GBS setup and it is a lot more expensive (right?). I mean the 36 100ah cells with a bms will be around $5,500 themselves or maybe more and that is kind of already pushing the price limit. Nonetheless, I'm not afraid to throw more cash at it to make it just want I want :)

Yup - Headway ends up being more expensive, and a lot more work. Also not recommended if this is your first build...there is enough to figure out without worrying about getting 200 individual cells to cooperate.

moon
07 June 2012, 1425
Yup - Headway ends up being more expensive, and a lot more work. Also not recommended if this is your first build...there is enough to figure out without worrying about getting 200 individual cells to cooperate.

You don't say! :rolleyes: :D :D :D

You would do well to isten to podolefsky, he speaks much wisdom. ;)

theFREElaker
07 June 2012, 1436
You don't say! :rolleyes: :D :D :D

You would do well to isten to podolefsky, he speaks much wisdom. ;)
Indeed, I have been surfing the forums and it seems like there are quite a few intelligent people around who know there EV stuff ( fortunately for a noob like me :) )

Brutus
07 June 2012, 1502
Hey Brutus,
I noticed your avatar. Cool looking bike. Was that a Ducati Monster? Anywhere I can see more pics?

Thanks A-Bomb, you can check out my website BrutusMotorcycle.com

I hand make the frame and there are plenty of pics and videos on the site

gijoe460
07 June 2012, 2302
Super jealous....i have a busa and a 95 gsxr...i looked at busa for like 3 seconds before i decided to convert the gsxr

I just couldn't do it

GOOD LUCK! Cant wait to see..

A-Bomb
08 June 2012, 0615
Thanks Brutus. Nice website. Now I remember seeing your bike on this elmoto here with transmission and watching a video of you riding it. For some reason, it didn't look familiar when I saw your avatar pic. Great build.

A-Bomb
08 June 2012, 0618
Oops, I guess I should say builds. That's what threw me, number 2 looks a bit different. Very cool cafe style build.

frodus
09 June 2012, 1003
thefreelaker,

email me, if you're looking at either an AC31, let me know, because I've got one that is new, but out of warranty (motor) and we can order a controller for it (under warranty). Could save you a little bit. My friend gave up on his project and it's just been sitting for a year.

theFREElaker
12 June 2012, 0921
thefreelaker,

email me, if you're looking at either an AC31, let me know, because I've got one that is new, but out of warranty (motor) and we can order a controller for it (under warranty). Could save you a little bit. My friend gave up on his project and it's just been sitting for a year.

Awesome, I will let you know! I wont have my chassis till the 13th of July it looks like. Then I will get some specs off it, run some numbers and figure out what I need. I am super excited though and cant wait!!!

frodus
12 June 2012, 1142
Sounds like it's going to be a fun project. Have you collected other parts yet?