PDA

View Full Version : Announcing: (title goes here) !! (release date as yet unknown) !!!

teddillard
09 September 2010, 0616
As you may have noticed, I'm putting together a bunch of sort of "how-to" posts on my blog, loosely referred to as the "Stuff I've Learned..." posts. The ultimate goal is to put together a book that goes through all the basics of an electric motorcycle conversion- most of which I've learned here. ("The ElMoto Chronicles"? hmmm... catchy.)

Reading back on my early posts it strikes me how frustrated I got trying to get the straight info... now it all seems so simple. I have a peculiar (as yet not particularly profitable) talent, or so I've been told, to take what engineers say and translate it into what normal people can understand... thus 4 books explaining digital photography, and I figure I can do the same thing here.

When I was chatting with Ed and Terry after my first "EV grin" experience, thanking them for all the help they'd given me, Terry said, OK, now it's your turn to help somebody else. Well, this is my attempt to do that.

I'm now compiling the posts and reformatting, and when that's at a presentable point, I'll post the thing to Lulu.com or something like that... pdf downloads will be enabled, and there will be an ElMoto member discount (basically, cost). If you want a taste of the raw material, go to my site and click "Stuff I've Learned..." on the top nav bar: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/category/stuff-ive-learned/ My standard edit/proofread deal: free coffee and donuts for each unique correction.

Please, if you're interested, have a look and give me any and all suggestions as to what you think is wrong, or worse, missing... I'm a man who needs an editor, and my regular editor don't know crap 'bout no 'lectricity.

Thanks, from the very bottom of my (black) heart to everyone who's helped me along the way, and feel free to copy and paste any of the posts here if you think someone can benefit.

Richard230
09 September 2010, 0755
That sounds like a great idea, Ted. It should be a very useful book. I recommend you focus it's contents toward new electric car owners, as well as electric motorcycle owners, if you want to substantially increase the sales of the book. New EV car owners will need this type of information to understand how their cars work and what their limitations are - if for no other reason than to be able to discuss problems and to understand what is going on when they bring their new cars into their dealers for maintenance or service. As you know, electric cars will be outselling motorcycles by something like 100:1. It you want to make more money, develop a wider reputation as a EV writer and sell a lot more books, I think that is the direction that you might want to take. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck.

teddillard
09 September 2010, 1006
Good thoughts, although that may be another book entirely. This one is going to focus on simply building a bike- one of my complaints with other books are just that- no focus. As far as making money on books? I'm gonna leave that to my next title- Harry Potter and the EV1 ! (As soon as the lawyers get done with it...) :D

Seriously, though, this one is for the noobs and ElMotians, not really expecting any profit from it at all...

EVcycle
09 September 2010, 1024
Coooool!!

Harry Potter and the EV1? I would buy that one!!!

:)

teddillard
10 September 2010, 0436

hmmm... Harry Potter and the Zap Xebra? Think it'll fly?

:D

Nuts & Volts
10 September 2010, 0552
haha ted. I think that harry potter series needs some new books go for it!

ps nice picture :)

EVcycle
10 September 2010, 0657

hmmm... Harry Potter and the Zap Xebra? Think it'll fly?

:D

Only if I push it off a bridge!

I am starting to change out all the crappy 4 gauge to better 2 gauge this weelend . That will hep get it up from super to to regular slow :)

teddillard
16 September 2010, 0343
working title:

From Fossils to Flux
(A Basic Guide to Building an Electric Motorcycle)

waddaya think, huh? waddaya think?

EVcycle
16 September 2010, 0424
mmmmmmmmmm

I like it, but will it work in a Google search? You want people to find this book as easily as possible.
It is catchy.

Go for it!

teddillard
17 September 2010, 0643
hmmm. good point. Already on #1 for that phrase tho-
http://tinyurl.com/22scggz

billmi
17 September 2010, 0652
I'm digin' it.

teddillard
19 September 2010, 0602
So... progress is being made. Anybody up for a pre-read, free edit? PM me yo.

teddillard
23 September 2010, 0354
We got a title and a cover!

http://evmc2.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/picture-22.png?w=427&h=644

Linky here, with TOC listed too... http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/book-gets-title-cover/