PDA

View Full Version : AZAPA's 2013 TT Zero Build

AZAPA
14 July 2012, 1453
On behalf of AZAPA I am excited to announce our plan to enter the 2013 TT Zero!

AZAPA is a relatively new Japanese company that specializes in ECUs and Telematics systems. We hope to use this project help establish our brand and showcase our ECU capabilities.
I don't think there is much to be gained by being secretive (though some teams would disagree..) so I'll try to keep this thread ,possibly a blog later on, full of juicy details on the build. However, a few things i will need to keep hushed mainly for sponsorship reasons.
There is much to be done in the next 10 months, and we are just settling on parts now. Tentative plan is as follows:

Motor: Yasa-400
Controller: Sevcon Gen4 size 10
ECU: AZAPA TT-Special
Chassis: Most likely a superbike conversion. Bespoke if we can afford it/can find the right technical partner
Battery: as much as possible
BMS: Possibly just LVC/HVC onboard, and charge-time balancing. To be decided pending battery testing

In this stage we are still seeking out additional sponsorship funding and/or technical partnership, especially if the company has the right mechanical design/racing experience. Solicitations welcome!

A few you may also enjoy hearing that my EV life started here on this forum a few years ago. Some Japanese study and an engineering degree later, I call this a career :)

Cheers
--Z

AZAPA
14 July 2012, 1455
Reserved for details on the completed build.

jonescg
14 July 2012, 2157
Good stuff man! It ****s me when teams don't share their build information. I guess those who don't share have a better chance of doing well as a business post-race.

The Yasa is an impressive motor on paper. They aren't cheap, but they have some impressive numbers attached to them. I opted instead for the Evo AFM140. Sure, it's a bit heavier and a bit bigger, but it's a lot cheaper and actually suits my needs a lot better.

Best of luck with it, I look forward to reading all about it!

AZAPA
16 July 2012, 1609
Thanks jonescg

The Yasa is an impressive motor on paper. They aren't cheap, but they have some impressive numbers attached to them. I opted instead for the Evo AFM140. Sure, it's a bit heavier and a bit bigger, but it's a lot cheaper and actually suits my needs a lot better.

Sounds like you are skeptical? The Evos are quite nice as well, they were on my shortlist. I look forward to hearing how that AFM140 works out for you. you race the Austrailian TTXGP I'm guessing?

jonescg
16 July 2012, 2027
Yep, I hope to be on the grid for 2013. I'll be sharing the build thread as I go along on many formus, including this one. I am skeptical of ALL EV component manufacturers :D. None of them will tell you about the inefficiencies in the system, limitations caused by inverters, whether or not the voltages quoted are RMS... One motor manufactured was proud of their 40 kg motor until you read the rather small print suggesting you needed 15 kg worth of inductors! So yeah, I take all spec sheets with a grain of lithium chloride.