PDA

View Full Version : Plywood for headway honeycomb mount.

mcf12
04 October 2012, 1309
I am not materials expert but was intrigued by idea of using plywood (maybe even hardwood as final option). Obvious questions that might have reasonable answers.

Would love any insights/thoughts/reality checks:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/05/besarugu.jpg

Fire hazard (can minimize this with right coating, finish maybe)?

Strength (would leave only small openings on outer side of honeycomb - think splinter oz, others did this - so there may be enough material to keep them snug if we use long enough terminal screws)

ZoomSmith
04 October 2012, 1328
IMHO, you'd be much better off with UHMW. You can use woodworking tools to shape it also.

moon
04 October 2012, 1335
IMHO, you'd be much better off with UHMW. You can use woodworking tools to shape it also.

+1 It's very easy to work with and fairly cheap.

Allen_okc
04 October 2012, 1354
the plywood will separate and warp after time from the weather - either sign board or the IMHO, basically the same thing - you can also goto a sign shop and ask for scrap pieces of lexan...

EVcycle
04 October 2012, 1551
the plywood will separate and warp after time from the weather - either sign board or the IMHO, basically the same thing - you can also goto a sign shop and ask for scrap pieces of lexan...

+1 on this. We will ride these in the rain....even if not intentional, some day.

Also
Wood, Flammable if something gets too hot....not good.

Easy.....yes. The best to use....not so much. :) :)

podolefsky
04 October 2012, 1821
Wood of any type is good for prototyping, and that's it. No matter what you do, it will eventually degrade, expand, and fall apart.

Good materials are UHMW (as mentioned), HDPE (also easy to work with, cheap), or Delrin (very strong, not cheap).

liveforphysics
04 October 2012, 1919
Hygroscopic materials for batteries often tend to go badly. A bit of chaffing through the heat-shrink of a couple cells at different potentials to moist plywood will make a current path.

Avoid these as battery/terminal support materials when possible:

Wood, Nylon (PA), Polycarbonate (PC), and Polyethylene Teraphthalate (PET)

yankee1919
04 October 2012, 2136
Hello MCF12,
I like the CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) myself. You can make adjustments to fit your donor bike. Take a look at what the other guys have used.
By the way is that a top secret pink high speed racer in the background?
Tony
Los Angeles:)

teddillard
05 October 2012, 0140
Wood of any type is good for prototyping, and that's it. No matter what you do, it will eventually degrade, expand, and fall apart.

Though I agree with the conclusion, I've got to take issue with this.

Plywood composite construction with West System epoxy, especially with carbon fiber, is unbelievably strong, lightweight, and long lasting. It's the material of choice for ultra-lightweight small boat construction.

It's also a complete PIA to work with, and you're much better off with plastic. :D

podolefsky
05 October 2012, 0947
Though I agree with the conclusion, I've got to take issue with this.

Plywood composite construction with West System epoxy, especially with carbon fiber, is unbelievably strong, lightweight, and long lasting. It's the material of choice for ultra-lightweight small boat construction.

It's also a complete PIA to work with, and you're much better off with plastic. :D

Yup, forgot about that. Obviously, I am not a golfer.

People also build bicycles out of bamboo.

mcf12
05 October 2012, 1001
Thanks for the input. i am as sold on CAD and Ply-AD as anyone, but reckon i'll hold of on anything structural with wood for the first box.

Some veneer or other treatments still might make it in the final - i just like the idea of getting something organic on this machine.
always liked what the Marr's guys did with laminates here. http://www.marrscycles.com/

(In fact, I thought they were MIA, looks like they may be back at it.)

Matt

mcf12
05 October 2012, 1004
Tony, Pink bike's my main tester.

yankee1919
08 October 2012, 1608
I knew it! Good luck with build keep us posted.