PDA

View Full Version : Why are AC-XX motors always paired with Curtis controllers?

__Tango
11 October 2012, 0059
Just wondering. I'm upgrading the controller for my enertrac from a Kelly KBL to a Sevcon Gen 4 (size 4) with the help of the lightning motorcycle guys. If i ever upgrade the batteries, i'll probably upgrade the motor too to either the double-wide Enertrac (like the Catavolt bike) or maybe to something like an induction motor like an AC-20. It seems when shopping around that the curtis controller is always paired with the AC-20. The specs on the sevcon say it can drive induction AC motors, but i was wondering why the sevcon's aren't often sold with the AC-XX motors.

Thanks!

Square Wave
11 October 2012, 0841
My understanding is that the nomenclature “AC-XX” is assigned by HPEVs to a product they sell. That product is a combination of an AC motor and a Curtis controller that they have set up to work together. I think that some of the different model numbers are merely different combinations of motors and controllers.
If you have a controller that will drive an induction motor you could try it with any induction motor—you wouldn’t need to buy from HPEVs.
That’s my understanding, anyway.

Hugues
11 October 2012, 0850
i have the AC-20 and a Curtis, i do remember from the usuer manual that there is a "mating" procedure in the Curtis controller to be properly tuned to your motor characteristics. I forgot how they call this procedure, i did not do it myself, it's done by the supplier or manufacturer.

Now, that does not mean another controller could not work i guess... just my two cents..

frodus
13 October 2012, 1138
There's nothing that says that an ACXX motor won't work with a Sevcon (Or the Curtis won't work with another motor). Back when HPEVS started, Sevcon didn't have much (if any) of an AC offering. They spent development time tuning the ACXX motors to the Curtis 123X controllers and developed VCL code that allowed them to do more than just motor control (they can control fans, drive a tachometer, control brake lights, etc). So with HPEVS, they chose a platform and went with it.

One reason you don't see them, is because no distributor has taken the Sevcon and an HPEVS ACXX motor and tuned them as a pair and developed any of the required code or parameters for them..... but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Another reason, is nothing is broken and Curtis works well. I know Sevcon has other controllers that go higher voltage, but Curtis has also been developing a 144V controller along with the help of HPEVS for the EV market. So right now, there's not really a need to go that direction.

You wouldn't really want to sell an end user an ACXX motor and a Blank Sevcon without any tuning having been done. It's a support nightmare for an EV Parts distributor. If you want read a little about Jay and his Sevcon/BLDC/[insert unnamed EV parts distributor here]... go to endless sphere.... wasn't fun for jay.... and I'm not sure if he ever got his $1000 worth of "support" from that company in the end.

So IMHO, they should be sold as a matched pair, unless someone has experience tuning that particular controller and motor.

__Tango
13 October 2012, 1250
Great. Thats great info.

Like i said, i was mainly wondering 'cuz it's looking like i'm getting a sevcon for my enertrac. The lightning folks have had decent luck with that combo, and I need something that runs at least 120V (so for now, curtis is out). I was wondering if it's not possible to run an AC-20 with the sevcon or it's just not normally done.

This is way off in the future, so i'm not saying i'm definitely going to do this, just wondering at this point.

Thanks again. :)

gijoe460
13 October 2012, 1256
Correct me if i am wrong...but the Curtis is good all the way up to 130V cut off

frodus
13 October 2012, 1305
The 1238-7X01 controllers 130vdc. The 1238-6X01 goes to 105vdc. Not sure what the 144vnominal controller goes to yet.

gijoe460
13 October 2012, 1318
ok...whew

frodus
13 October 2012, 1343
Great. Thats great info.

Like i said, i was mainly wondering 'cuz it's looking like i'm getting a sevcon for my enertrac. The lightning folks have had decent luck with that combo, and I need something that runs at least 120V (so for now, curtis is out). I was wondering if it's not possible to run an AC-20 with the sevcon or it's just not normally done.

This is way off in the future, so i'm not saying i'm definitely going to do this, just wondering at this point.

Thanks again. :)

You would have a hard time using a Curtis with a BLDC motor anyway, they're built for induction motors. Sevcon is designed to be used for either.... it's in the algorithms to drive the motors.

I thought Lightning used a Remy and Rinehart? Do they use the enertrac on other machines?

ARC EV Racing
21 October 2012, 0354
If you mean the new 1239 144v controller its upper cut off is 170v

Sent from my AZ210A using Tapatalk 2

podolefsky
21 October 2012, 1410
You would have a hard time using a Curtis with a BLDC motor anyway, they're built for induction motors. Sevcon is designed to be used for either.... it's in the algorithms to drive the motors.

As far as I know, impossible to use a Curtis with BLDC. Induction motors use a speed sensor, BLDC use a position sensor (unless they're sensorless). Totally different interface - Sevcon can use either, Curtis can only use speed (again, asfaik).

I thought Lightning used a Remy and Rinehart? Do they use the enertrac on other machines?

Maybe confusing with Catavolt? They're both yellow...

frodus
21 October 2012, 1605
Exactly. The Curtis is designed for AC induction in hardware and software.

Yeah. I think he confused the two. I've followed lightning very closely.