PDA

View Full Version : Don't take your Fisker Karma to the beach

electriKAT
31 October 2012, 0757
It seems Fisker has had more than their share of bad luck. This is really bad PR for them, and EVs in general.

"Approximately 16 of the $100,000+ Fisker Karma extended-range luxury hybrids were parked in Port Newark, New Jersey last night when water from Hurricane Sandy’s storm surge apparently breached the port and submerged the vehicles. As Jalopnik has exclusively learned, the cars then caught fire and burned to the ground."

article (https://absolutereg.co.uk/news/more-than-a-dozen-fisker-karma-hybrids-caught-fire-and-exploded-in-new-jersey-port-after-sandy)

DaveAK
31 October 2012, 1044
Not all of them burned by the looks of it. However, I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to get in and turn the key. :D

Allen_okc
31 October 2012, 1226
:( I Think Im going to CRY!!!

Thank You for the heads up electrikat...

liveforphysics
31 October 2012, 1502
It's interesting to me that a company using A123 LiFePO4 cells sure has a lot of things burning.

harlan
31 October 2012, 2056
“I think it’s ironic that Fisker chose to name his car the Karma, when what he’s done is very bad karma.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/technology/15tesla.html

Allen_okc
01 November 2012, 0645
i want to know why they didnt pull the batteries out before the storm hit... what was they thinking!!!

its a shame that those cars died because their failing to realize that Sandy could be bad like the weather people where warning them about...

Richard230
01 November 2012, 0731
Speaking of the Fisker (or should that have been Frisky?), last night I watched a Top Gear episode that played last week on BBC America, where Captain Slow tested the Fisker and managed to not burn it or its tires up. Nor did they destroy the car, run it out of battery power or blow it up. They even said that they really liked the looks, but didn't care much for some of the car's interior features and poked fun at its recycled components. All in all, a relatively positive review - for Top Gear, that is.

electriKAT
01 November 2012, 0815
i want to know why they didnt pull the batteries out before the storm hit... what was they thinking!!!

It would have been about a thousand times easier to move the entire car than to remove the batteries and let the car sit and get flooded. Hey, is that what they mean when they talk about "flooded" batteries? Hehehe...

Allen_okc
01 November 2012, 0909
"flooded batteries" I Hate When That Happens - it would of been a better ideal, just move the cars, unless - they needed insurance money for some backing of their company...

but really what are the odds of an electric car to be totally submerged under water???