PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle.com reviews the 2013 Empulse R

Richard230
06 December 2012, 1625
You can view and read their review of the new 6-speed Empulse R here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2013-brammo-empulse-r-review-91479.html

I note that the Motorcycle.com testers feel like having a 6-speed transmission is bit of overkill.

Spaceweasel
06 December 2012, 1849
Nice review. I find it interesting that they have chosen a motor that puts out a relatively low tq output, compared to many of the emotos being built.

teddillard
07 December 2012, 0335
>yawn<

Maybe after seeing the guy giggling like a schoolgirl on the Lightning everything seems a little lame, but he seemed almost bored to me.

Anyone heard if anyone has actually got one? "Deliveries for Empulse R will begin in Foruth (sic) Quarter of 2012 and Empulse in 2013. Unbelievable that they've almost missed this delivery target as well.

Richard230
07 December 2012, 0853
According to the Brammo Owners Forum website, it appears that the first customer delivery of a Brammo Empulse R may occur today at Scudderia West in San Francisco. Right now no one knows who is getting it, though. :confused:

Skeezmour
07 December 2012, 1049
I think most every other bike pales compared to the Lightning right now Ted. (where did I put my $40,000?) maybe santa will think I have been a good boy.

teddillard
07 December 2012, 1601
According to the Brammo Owners Forum website, it appears that the first customer delivery of a Brammo Empulse R may occur today at Scudderia West in San Francisco. Right now no one knows who is getting it, though. :confused:

Please keep us updated, Richard. I'd love to be proved wrong on this one.

Richard230
07 December 2012, 1647
Here you go Ted. A photo of the first Empulse R customer, Ain McKendrick, taken today and a photo of the Brammo Employees (finally) celebrating.

Also, here is a link to a post that Protomech wrote outlining the evolution of the Empulse: http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=898.0

teddillard
08 December 2012, 0320
Nice. (thankGAWD).

I said it on my blog, but I'll say it again here. Now we can start learning about the bike from somewhere other than Brammo, and there's undoubtably a lot to learn. You know. About stuff like... ... TRANSMISSIONS :D :D :D

Richard230
08 December 2012, 0834
The weird thing is that if Brammo hadn't decided to revamp the Empulse to accommodate a 6-speed transmission and had gone ahead and built a model just like the original version (and at the lower advertized price) and then placed it on sale last year, that first sale at Scudderia West could have been to me. Here is a photo of me checking out the Empulse prototype when Scudderia West was being signed up as a Brammo dealer in February 2011. That was about 7 months after I had ordered an Empulse 10.0 and was waiting for the bike to be manufactured and delivered. I had cash in hand and was ready to buy - but Brammo wasn't ready to sell. :(

BrammoBrian
08 December 2012, 1319
The weird thing is that if Brammo hadn't decided to revamp the Empulse to accommodate a 6-speed transmission and had gone ahead and built a model just like the original version (and at the lower advertized price) and then placed it on sale last year, that first sale at Scudderia West could have been to me. Here is a photo of me checking out the Empulse prototype when Scudderia West was being signed up as a Brammo dealer in February 2011. That was about 7 months after I had ordered an Empulse 10.0 and was waiting for the bike to be manufactured and delivered. I had cash in hand and was ready to buy - but Brammo wasn't ready to sell. :(

Yes, it was a tough decision to make, Richard. We had a great electric motorcycle at that point and we decided instead to make a great motorcycle that just happens to be electric. A subtle, but crucial difference, IMHO, for moving towards broader acceptance of these bikes. I don't remember being approached by you at all during that visit. It wasn't until afterwards that I learned that the person checking out the bike was, in fact, you. It would've been nice to have your feedback. I wish that it was possible to develop complete vehicles more quickly, but there are simply too many complexities in a project of this size and scope. I believe our development cycle is fairly industry standard at between 2-3 years for an entirely new platform. Surely our marketing communication could be improved, but for many potential customers, the first they'll hear of Brammo and the Empulse is when they see it out on the road or in the dealerships.

I've now failed twice to get you on what I believe would be a better bike for you, first with the Enertia and now with the Empulse, but I'm not giving up yet. Ted, however, I'm afraid is lost to hate...

Skeezmour
08 December 2012, 1350
Yes, it was a tough decision to make, Richard. We had a great electric motorcycle at that point and we decided instead to make a great motorcycle that just happens to be electric. A subtle, but crucial difference, IMHO, for moving towards broader acceptance of these bikes. I don't remember being approached by you at all during that visit. It wasn't until afterwards that I learned that the person checking out the bike was, in fact, you. It would've been nice to have your feedback. I wish that it was possible to develop complete vehicles more quickly, but there are simply too many complexities in a project of this size and scope. I believe our development cycle is fairly industry standard at between 2-3 years for an entirely new platform. Surely our marketing communication could be improved, but for many potential customers, the first they'll hear of Brammo and the Empulse is when they see it out on the road or in the dealerships.

I've now failed twice to get you on what I believe would be a better bike for you, first with the Enertia and now with the Empulse, but I'm not giving up yet. Ted, however, I'm afraid is lost to hate...

Thanks for coming on Brian and letting us know in person your side of the story. I consider myself lucky to have gotten to be around as much as I have with not only you and your Brammo family but also Zero, Lightning and many of those from the Elmoto world. We really are all helping to usher in a new era of motorcycling that I truly believe will help our sport grow in popularity.

Now next time I'm down in Ashland I want a ride on an Empulse and not just a photo op :)

Cheers,

Gene

teddillard
08 December 2012, 1413
...Ted, however, I'm afraid is lost to hate...

PLEASE tell me this was humor.

Richard230
08 December 2012, 1557
Hi Brian. I am sorry that I missed seeing you at Scudderia West but at the time I was more interested in the Empulse than the people around me. However, I did speak with Craig at Infineon later that year and got the message that he really wanted to build an electric motorcycle that was as similar as possible to current IC models and that was why he was switching gears (pun intended). But I use my motorcycles mostly as utility vehicles so that I don't have to drive my car and I have done my share of shifting gearboxes over the past 50 years. Now I prefer not to shift and that is one of the things that I like about direct-drive systems. Plus they are less complicated, require less maintenance and weigh less. Also, frankly I was concerned about the reliability of a new gearbox. About 8 years ago BMW had to switch gearbox manufacturers due to poor shifting and reliability problems with their boxer models' gearboxes. That was on my mind, as was the thought that it is very difficult to get a motorcycle gearbox to shift well and some manufacturers still don't do a good job at that even after building motorcycles for many years. Finally, I do prefer belt drive. Chains tend to be messy, require more frequent adjustment and make a mess out of a clean rear wheel. I have lots of chain lube and prefer not to use it if I don't have to. So when Brammo switched directions in design and delayed the projected release date of the Empulse, I decided to go with the Zero 9 kWh model as that finally met my range and performance requirements. However, if the Empulse 10.0 had been introduced, or swas on the near horizon, earlier this year, I would probably have gone with Brammo. Thanks for thinking of me, though. :)