PDA

View Full Version : Toyota to electrify the RAV4

Richard230
14 September 2010, 1441
According to my newspaper's business section today, Toyota will be using their partnership with Tesla to build a plug-in version of their compact RAV4 SUV. It will be introduced at the Los Angles Auto Show in November. It will be marketed in the US starting in 2012. The model's battery pack and electric motor are being supplied by Tesla, according to Toyota's Executive Vice President Takeshi Uchiyamada (that one is not in the spell checker).

A plug-in version of the Prius that lets drivers travel solely on electric power for about 13 miles goes on sale by June 2012 and is expected to cost about $3000 to $5000 more than a conventional version of the car. Toyota expects to sell about 20,000 of the cars each year.

Global sales of the plug-in RAV4 will be a "few tens of thousands" for the first few years, or less than 10% of the regular Prius model sales. Mr. Ichiyamada repeated that Toyota will also sell a retail model of its hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle to US drivers by 2105.

jpanichella
14 September 2010, 1452
You mean like they did over ten years ago?

The auto industry, moving backwards into the future.

Richard230
14 September 2010, 1454
What can I say - what goes around comes around. :rolleyes:

EVcycle
14 September 2010, 1454
Yes they did!
At the same time as the Ev1. There are a few still running today!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azRLoeA9biM

Ed

electriKAT
14 September 2010, 1510
I've got TWO friends who managed to scoop up an original RAV4 EV. They're both approaching 100k miles and still going strong. They get nearly the same range as when they were new. The original RAV4 was smaller and lighter than the current models, but still has the aerodynamics of a woodshed. I applaud Toyota for offering a battery electric. But I'm not sure the current RAV4 is the best platform for it. I'm thinking Carolla.

EVcycle
14 September 2010, 1515
Do you know what kind of batteries are in them?

jpanichella
14 September 2010, 1523
I've got TWO friends who managed to scoop up an original RAV4 EV. They're both approaching 100k miles and still going strong. They get nearly the same range as when they were new. The original RAV4 was smaller and lighter than the current models, but still has the aerodynamics of a woodshed. I applaud Toyota for offering a battery electric. But I'm not sure the current RAV4 is the best platform for it. I'm thinking Carolla.

Did they not scoop them all up and shred them like other EVs from the late nineties?

electriKAT
14 September 2010, 1529
They are Panasonic NiMH batteries. I don't know anything about the individual cell size or total pack size though. There is a great article on wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rav4_ev). BTW, the silver one at the top of the page belongs to one of my friends who I mentioned earlier.

@jpanichella
No, they did not shred them. They are both daily drivers.

billmi
15 September 2010, 0344
EV-1s were the cars that were shredded. There are a number of electric Rav 4s and Chevy S-10 electric pickups from that time period (when CARB mandated a percentage of vehicles marketed in California be zero emission vehicles) still on the road today. The EV-1s were leased, the vehicles that were sold were no longer under control of their manufacturers.

EVcycle
15 September 2010, 0358
"Who killed the Electric car"
Mandatory watching, In my opinion.

Discovery channel (I think) shows it often.

EV Ed