PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Leaf and Zeros at a SF EV meeting

Richard230
13 January 2013, 1847
Yesterday I attended an electric vehicle club meeting at the Luscious Garage in San Francisco. The featured item was the 2013 Nissan Leaf. A couple of factory representatives were there to explain all of the changes to the updated version of the car. Zero was represented by both myself and Terry Hershner (offthegrid). Attached are some of the photos that I took at the Garage. I gave each of the photos a caption.

Richard230
13 January 2013, 1851
Here are some more photos, along with a photo plucked from Terry's Facebook page.

liveforphysics
13 January 2013, 2021
Right on! Good work guys, looks like fun!

Richard230
14 January 2013, 0842
I should have given the Luscious Garage a little more "press" for supporting the EV community and EV car owners. So here is a photo of their front door and a photo that Terry took of himself and Carolyn Coquillett, owner of the Garage. It sure would be nice if someday there were enough electric motorcycles around in each major urban area to support a similar garage specializing in our two-wheel elmoto friends. (Other than Hollywood Electric, of course. :))

__Tango
14 January 2013, 1124
Foot controlled parking brake? Hadn't heard about that one in the specs (though i haven't read that much about the new LEAF yet).

EDIT: Yup, just read the specs. Mechanical foot controlled parking brake.

Richard230
14 January 2013, 1150
Foot controlled parking brake? Hadn't heard about that one in the specs (though i haven't read that much about the new LEAF yet).

EDIT: Yup, just read the specs. Mechanical foot controlled parking brake.

And that foot-operated emergency/parking brake is on the left side of the car. Just like American cars had during the 1950's and 1960's. What's up with that? :confused: In my opinion, having the emergency brake located in the center console is a much better idea. It allows the passenger to brake the car should the driver suffer some sort of disabling problem at speed - like spilling hot coffee in his lap. :O

protomech
14 January 2013, 1526
I see a surprise appearance by David Herron too.

Love the shot of the two bikes together.

CliC
17 January 2013, 1557
And that foot-operated emergency/parking brake is on the left side of the car. Just like American cars had during the 1950's and 1960's. What's up with that? :confused: In my opinion, having the emergency brake located in the center console is a much better idea. It allows the passenger to brake the car should the driver suffer some sort of disabling problem at speed - like spilling hot coffee in his lap. :O

Some American cars still have them, my Ford Taurus and GMC pickup among them. Emphasis more on the "parking" than on the "emergency" I guess. [The truck has a storage bin and drink holders in the center console that consume all the space, and the Taurus does, too, along with the automatic tranny shifter.]

Richard230
17 January 2013, 1636
I never paid much attention to the location of the "emergency" brake until I tried to get a driver's license in Massachusetts during the late-1960's. I discovered that in order to be tested by the DMV, you had to have a car with an emergency brake located in the center console. My 1960 Oldsmobile 88 sure didn't have that. So I forgot about getting a Mass license and drove my car and Yamaha 1966 YA-6 for the 18 months that I was stationed at L. G. Hanscom Field (located just outside Boston) with only a learner's permit.

The one time I got pulled over by a cop, I showed him my current Canal Zone driver's license. He got all upset about that and wouldn't accept it. So I pulled out my expired California license and he took that for my speeding ticket. Naturally, I never paid my ticket as I relocated to CA before the bill came due. Without a computer or any agreement with CA to go after me, they just had to suck eggs when it came to getting their $30 fine from me. :cool:

The advantage for an auto maker in having a parking brake in the center console is that is one more thing that doesn't have to be changed in the car to accommodate a right hand drive version of the vehicle, such as you would need for driving in GB or Japan. One other note. We were told that the 2013 Leaf is now made in the U.S. in a Nissan factory located in the East (I can't recall which state).

__Tango
17 January 2013, 2012
Not having the ebrake in the center console does mean that there's more room for storage.

Also, i think the electric ebrake doesn't engage at speed, so the "hit the ebrake when the driver drops coffee in his lap" doesn't really apply in the 2011/12 LEAF anyway. :)

protomech
18 January 2013, 1039
The 2013 Leaf is manufactured in Smyrna, TN.