PDA

View Full Version : Prius drop-in plug-in package

Red
23 February 2013, 1152
Just wondering if anyone on the forum, or anyone that knows someone, that has bought and used one of the packages from Plug-In Supply that they put together for the Prius. Am in the market for a new car and am considering the Prius. Plug-In Supply has 4 and 10 kw packages for the DIYer.

furyphoto
23 February 2013, 2310
From what I understand, it's their software and interface that runs the car on the traction pack first before switching to hybrid mode that is the linchpin, the battery pack and charger are pretty standard. You could easily DIY a pack, and charger.

Red
24 February 2013, 0618
Good point Fury. Plug-in Supply will sell the components individually, and the DIY kit involves assembling everything anyway, including the battery pack. This isn't my first conversion, and I'm still in the planning stages. The 4 kw DIY kit is $4800. but it looks to be well developed, and they claim there are more than 200 of their conversions done already. My lead-acid Ninja is out there in Vancouver somewhere - seen it?

__Tango
06 March 2013, 1712
Richard hatfield and the Lightning Motorcycle guys sell a Prius conversion kit. You might give him a call about it.

Red
07 March 2013, 0402
Richard hatfield and the Lightning Motorcycle guys sell a Prius conversion kit. You might give him a call about it.

I was under the impression Plug-in Supply is Richard Hatfield's company? They haven't answered my email that I sent close to a week ago...
They put together a pretty good looking kit - just a little more expensive than others. Bought the car and am eager to go full electric instead of half electric.4187

racermike39
08 March 2013, 0649
I am not sure if you have ever heard of these guys, but I met them and they seem to have a good product. They have been offering kits for a few years now, and I see they are making continual improvements and the costs seem to be within reason. I was actively persuing a dealer/installer relationship with them two years ago and then I had to build a new house because the one I was renting was sold unexpectedly.
My shop had to go dormant for a while so I never took the plunge. In a few months I hope to pick up where I left off.

http://www.enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

Mike.

__Tango
08 March 2013, 1339
I was under the impression Plug-in Supply is Richard Hatfield's company? They haven't answered my email that I sent close to a week ago...
They put together a pretty good looking kit - just a little more expensive than others. Bought the car and am eager to go full electric instead of half electric.4187

I don't think that's richard's company, but i'm not certain. For one, plug-in supply has a 707 area code, which is a couple counties north of where lightning is.

But like i said, i'm not sure.

Frank
08 March 2013, 1649
My understanding is that Richard is/was one of the founders. I don't know if he still has an interest in that company or not.

Red
09 March 2013, 0627
Enginer appears to also make a good package in various sizes, and their website includes detailed installation videos, but their systems are limited to around 35 mph and Plug-in Supply has designed their software/hardware to allow highway speeds. I choose a late model Gen. 3 Prius because it has the EV mode button right on the dash. Really limited though - only 1 km at 25 mph - might be ok when I get to the retirement village:)

racermike39
11 March 2013, 0546
I went back and looked at Plug-in-supply and I realized that I met Richar Hafield an a EV seminar. He is a really knowledgable guy with a great sense of humor!. He has that tinkerer/engineer gift along with the determination and desire to produce a quality product. I was very impressed and I would have no reservations to do business with him. He really has the perspective of integrating a great product into existing platforms that produce excellent real world results. There is no fluff built into the advertized range and performance results.