PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus Electric

podolefsky
04 April 2013, 0901
I just saw one of these in town. Didn't even know they existed.

Ford Focus electric - full electric, 143HP, 74 mi range, $39,200.

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/electric/?searchid=%7C%7C

Skeezmour
04 April 2013, 0914
I just went and drove one up in the mountains near me on my birthday last week. It rides and handles GREAT! Plenty of power. But just like the first one I saw down at the big Plug in America event at Chris Panes house in LA it has NO trunk space. They put the entire battery pack behind the back seat. It really is nothing more than a conversion albeit a nice one. The sales person did say they are surprised how well they are selling even at this remote location close to Mt. Rainier. They had 3 of them on the lot (just got a fresh delivery). Range seemed to agree with the specs and I'm not the nicest on the pedal.

__Tango
04 April 2013, 1345
No trunk space? Really? UUGH.

Richard230
04 April 2013, 1412
Well, it looks nice, but a car without a trunk is nothing but a 4-wheel motorcycle. :rolleyes:

Now if some manufacturer (other than Tesla) makes an electric SUV, they could put the battery pack in a luggage carrier bolted to the roof and no one would ever know it was an EV. It might be a little top heavy, but it is unlikely that most SUV owners would ever notice. My daughter has a Subaru station wagon with a whale on the roof and she hauls around enough stuff in that carrier for her and the kids to live on for a month. :O

__Tango
04 April 2013, 1559
Well, it looks nice, but a car without a trunk is nothing but a 4-wheel motorcycle. :rolleyes:

Now if some manufacturer (other than Tesla) makes an electric SUV...

http://www.toyota.com/rav4ev/

they could put the battery pack in a luggage carrier bolted to the roof and no one would ever know it was an EV. It might be a little top heavy, but it is unlikely that most SUV owners would ever notice. My daughter has a Subaru station wagon with a whale on the roof and she hauls around enough stuff in that carrier for her and the kids to live on for a month. :O

nice!

Skeezmour
04 April 2013, 1654
First conversion I ever did was a Rav4. My wife still wishes we could have kept that one. It lives on the east coast of Canada now. we drove it like 10k miles in 7 months. could get 90+ miles on the freeway with little trouble. Best part is it had all the cargo room since all the batteries were under the chassis like most of the OEM cars.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/117

podolefsky
04 April 2013, 1659
Nice to see Toyota finally getting into the EV game with the Rav 4.

Actually, wait a minute...

(Rav 4 EV - produced from 1997-2003)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Toyota_RAV4_EV_WAS_2012_0759.JPG/800px-Toyota_RAV4_EV_WAS_2012_0759.JPG

Skeezmour
04 April 2013, 1759
Those are still a really nice car

electriKAT
05 April 2013, 0834
Nice to see Toyota finally getting into the EV game with the Rav 4.

Actually, wait a minute...

(Rav 4 EV - produced from 1997-2003)

Hey, I drove that RAV-4. Notice the EVA/DC placard in the windshield. It belongs to a friend of mine. It's currently for sale as he took delivery of his model S recently.

electriKAT
05 April 2013, 0845
I just went and drove one up in the mountains near me on my birthday last week. It rides and handles GREAT! Plenty of power. But just like the first one I saw down at the big Plug in America event at Chris Panes house in LA it has NO trunk space. They put the entire battery pack behind the back seat.

I drove one last summer. Your statement about the battery pack and trunk are not accurate. Perhaps you drove a prototype? If you go to the link in the first post of this thread, there is a diagram and short video showing the battery pack. About half of it is in the trunk, and half is under the back seats. Here is a picture I took showing the trunk. I had initially heard the same thing, that there is no trunk space. But that's not true. There is less than the gas version, but still not too bad.

Skeezmour
05 April 2013, 1219
It is WAY less then the gas version. It would be lucky to fit a gym bag and 2 bags of grocery's back there. Unless you don't mind laying them over or removing the privacy screen.Still it is a whole lot of fun to drive and looks great. I just know for my wife and I we need more than 2 small bags worth of trunk space. (we have a Honda Civic and LOVE the large trunk in that thing, it has more room then my old BMW 528i in that department)