PDA

View Full Version : BMW i3 finally hits the market

Richard230
30 July 2013, 1447
You may have heard that BMW announced yesterday that they would finally, after very extensive testing, be selling their i3 car next year. Today, in an article written by David Undercoffier of the LA Times, more details were released. The i3 hatchback will have a carbon-fiber body and is said to have a curb weight of 2,700 pounds (about 500 pounds less than a Leaf), comes with a 22 kWh Li-ion battery, goes 0-60 in about 7 seconds and has a top speed of 93 mph. (Sounds like the i3 and a 2013 Zero S need to race.) The i3 will go on sale next spring with a base price (no one has ever actually seen a BMW motorcycle selling at the advertized "base" price) of $42,275.

The car is said to have a "real world" range of between 80 and 100 miles. Customers looking to double the i3's range have the option of a small gas-powered generator for an additional $3,850. :confused: The car is said to be able to recharge to 80% in 20 minutes and 100% in 30 minutes using a fast charging outlet and will recharge in 3 hours using a 220-V outlet, according to BMW. The electric motor makes 170 hp and 184 lb.-ft. of torque.

BMW has been using this drive train in their electric Mini Cooper and BMW 1-series. This testing is said to be crucial in bringing the i3 to market. BMW says that using carbon-fiber in the structural chassis was quite an endeavor and they were stepping into uncharted territory. They say they had to build thousands of (chassis?) them to get the processes right. BMW said the development costs have already been paid for. The automaker was confident the production costs of the i3 will be easy to (re)cover.