PDA

View Full Version : A Buell hybrid?

Richard230
12 August 2013, 0727
Well I don't know, maybe this patent application is a red herring. To me it looks more like a speculative dream. What do you think:

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/is-erik-buells-new-motorcycle-a-hybrid.htm

PaulWay
12 August 2013, 1727
Come on - how is this in any way novel or innovative?

Another patent failure, IMO.

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. I suppose I'd like to see it executed. But I think it'd be big, heavy, complicated and still not have a very good range. Its only advantage is to be able to fill up with fuel.

___
12 August 2013, 2338
I've been doing a lot of research on this, but I haven't actually built one yet, so take this with a grain of salt. But, it doesn't seem all that complicated. You have a small engine capable of generating enough power to keep the batteries from draining at speed. The power goes from the engine, through a hacked alternator/regulator and into the battery. The only complicated part is triggering and killing the motor at optimal times. You get much greater range with fewer batteries. The only part I'm worried about is the heat coming off the engine might not make the LiPo batteries very happy.

And just to show I'm not the only guy crazy enough to think this is an ok idea, here's the evalbum page of somebody who built one -> http://www.evalbum.com/2196

Richard230
13 August 2013, 0734
My problem is packaging and cost. When you stuff an IC engine, fuel tank, muffler, along with other IC stuff and add an electric motor, batteries, electrics and other EV stuff, that doesn't leave much room for any of those items - all of which weigh a lot and cost even more. So you have to install a small IC motor, a small fuel tank, a small electric motor and very few batteries and big development and production costs, ending up with something like Piaggo's MP3 hybrid scooter that has a very low top speed and a very short range. Hybrids like this can work in a car like the Volt, because you have a lot more room for packaging, but I don't see it working for motorcycles as a practical and economic solution for transportation. (Although it might make an interesting and challenging build.) Also, note that Volt sales have not been what GM expected and I constantly see sale promotions for Volts at the local dealers. All electric cars seem to be more popular with the consumer that wants an EV.

bjn
13 August 2013, 0905
So it's a series hybrid motorcycle. How is it possible to patent that?

I have always liked the series hybrid idea though. But I think it's better suited for a car, since the car can take advantage of the waste heat of the ICE in cold climate.

Richard230
13 August 2013, 1422
So it's a series hybrid motorcycle. How is it possible to patent that?

I have always liked the series hybrid idea though. But I think it's better suited for a car, since the car can take advantage of the waste heat of the ICE in cold climate.

Well, the patent is applied for, but I am not sure it was (or will be) issued. You may recall that Harley tried patenting their "potato, potato" sound and ultimately (after a lot of bad press) that didn't fly with the patent office. So now anyone can make a "potato, potato" sound and maybe someday anyone will be able to make a hybrid motorcycle. :rolleyes:

PaulWay
13 August 2013, 1546
I thought Harley had trademarked the sound (which you can do). If they tried to patent something, it was probably the particular arrangement of tubes which causes that sound. I'd expect that to fail as there must be four dozen muffler and exhaust patents out there already. You can only patent mechanical things, although the patent office seems to consider software mechanical.

Have fun,

Paul

Richard230
13 August 2013, 1550
Whatever they tried to do with the sound, trademark or patent, it still didn't fly and was rejected by the powers-that-be - which is why motorcycle manufacturers can still manufacture 45 degree V-twins.

Allen_okc
14 August 2013, 0801
OCC Choppers already built one last year - http://motorsportsnewswire.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/first-look-200bhp-hybrid-chopper-0114101/

Richard230
14 August 2013, 1406
OCC Choppers already built one last year - http://motorsportsnewswire.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/first-look-200bhp-hybrid-chopper-0114101/

I saw that episode of OCC and it is a nice looking bike. But I can't recall if they mentioned how far the bike would travel before running out of battery power. I suspect not far. I wonder where that bike is now? Probably displayed in the Lawless Industry's reception area.