PDA

View Full Version : Brammo Sales?

teddillard
09 September 2013, 0341
I'll start. Has anyone heard, or can anyone substantiate the rumor I just heard that Brammo, to date, has sold only 4 Empulses in CA, as per the DMV?

jazclrint
09 September 2013, 0617
Seems like there are more CA Empulse owners than that just on the Brammo owners forum. But I don't know for certain.

teddillard
09 September 2013, 0655
The search I did came up with only 3 who said they were from CA. I don't know any other way to verify that via that forum.

Richard230
09 September 2013, 0741
I have been wondering the same thing. I know of at least three Brammo Empulse owners in the Bay Area just from my personal observation. I find it really hard to believe that only 4 of those models have been sold in California this year. You would think that sales would be even greater in the LA area. Having said that, the Brammo Owners website activity sure seems to be pretty slow recently, especially compared to the amount of Zero owner posts on the Electric Motorcycle Forum website (which also has a Brammo forum that is about as active as the Sahara Desert during the summer). I wonder what is going on? :confused:

Warren
09 September 2013, 0824
I guess living in sunny California, the world looks brighter. But here in the hinterlands you wouldn't be asking that question. Here, motorcycle shops are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Most people riding bikes are doing so to save money commuting. If they had the money for an Empulse, they'd buy a Hyundai.

Had the lithium revolution happened back in the 1990's, the move to EV's would have gone a lot faster.

teddillard
09 September 2013, 0950
Where do you live, Warren? The Zero dealer I spoke to about coming to the Mt Washington event was loathe to send even one salesperson to a two-day event to sell electric motorcycles (even though I can pretty much guarantee over 500 people will see his bikes). As far as his experience goes, he said the Zeros take about 8 times the amount of effort and time to sell as a gas bike (he's a full-service, multi-brand MC dealer). I could hardly argue with him... and New England is a tougher market for just about everything I know of than most of the rest of the country.

They don't call it the "bleeding edge" for nuthin'.

___
09 September 2013, 1240
It's an easier sell in California because of cost and availability. There's a **** ton of wealthy industries out there, so that place is flush with cash. From what I can see, NYC is the only northeastern city that even has a healthy, growing economy at this point*. Also, most of them are manufactured out there, which made it easy to find a used 2010 zero when I was looking about a year ago. If I didn't have that option, I never would have even considered paying full price for a new one**.

* And maybe Boston? I hear mixed things about that place
** I'm considering buying a better one next year and using the 2010 for experiments.

Warren
09 September 2013, 1601
Ted,

I live on worn out tobacco land, in central Virginia. Last month we did a forced march, in the car, to visit friends and relatives in the northeast. All the way to the Canadian border we saw one electric vehicle, a Tesla S coming south across the Potomac.

From New Jersey to Maine I saw more full-dress Harleys than I have see in my life, and I grew up near Milwaukee! There was a Harley dealer about ever 50 miles. My bud in Maine says nobody on his road makes $20K a year, but there is a summer camp for kids down the road that charges $12K for 5 weeks.

All those Harleys belong to "summer people", who keep them at their summer house, or haul them in enclosed trailers behind their gigantic RV's.

Which makes me think Harley is on the right track with their proposed new electric. I mean, if you are at an RV park already, with 220-240 volt outlets everywhere, and money is no object, why not 30 kWh hog?

teddillard
09 September 2013, 1607
* And maybe Boston? I hear mixed things about that place

Boston is awesome if you're in medical tech or one of the financial markets. Which I'm not. :D The cost of living is something like the third highest in the country.

And the Harley thing? I don't even begin to get it. Except that Harley guys are completely into my bike whenever they see it. They routinely flag me down on the road.

teddillard
09 September 2013, 1621
There's a **** ton ...

Whenever anyone posts that, I always wonder if they're saying a ****-ton or a ****-ton. Is it just me?

teddillard
10 September 2013, 0225
I think I got to the bottom of this rumor. I heard that number came from the recall, reported in May, affecting bikes delivered in March apparently. That was 5 bikes, I'm betting 4 of them were from CA.

dbsuperbiker
10 September 2013, 0956
I'll start. Has anyone heard, or can anyone substantiate the rumor I just heard that Brammo, to date, has sold only 4 Empulses in CA, as per the DMV?
I dont know about Cali, bu tin Florida the registrations are by county...are you sure your info for entire state :confused:

frodus
10 September 2013, 1158
I think I got to the bottom of this rumor. I heard that number came from the recall, reported in May, affecting bikes delivered in March apparently. That was 5 bikes, I'm betting 4 of them were from CA.

My bike was one of those 5 recalled for the motor controller cables. There are 2 more up here in the Portland, Oregon area. They were Engineering test bikes that Brammo sold to myself, two people that worked on their race bike. Apparently there were 5 of these engineering bikes sold to people outside of Brammo, and they just needed an inspection of these cables Only these 5 out of all of their bikes sold, needed this inspection. I "think" one of the other bikes went to a guy at Icon, and the other went to Brian at Brammo. Hope that helps a little....

teddillard
10 September 2013, 1240
Yeah, I don't think there are any sales numbers that can be verified in any way at this point. There's just a bunch of gossip really.

frodus
10 September 2013, 1254
Yeah... I'm usually skeptical when people claim to know how many Zero or Brammo have been sold.

If it helps..... I've seen personally 3 in Portland not including mine...I haven't seen the two I previously mentioned in person so that's 6 that I know of in the area... I've only seen one zero and it was a 2009 I think. This isn't counting the zero and Brammo bikes I've seen at the dealerships.

Richard230
11 September 2013, 0801
Brammo now will have no excuses for building as many bikes as the market will bear. Well, at least they won't lack for room: http://www.kdrv.com/brammo-moving-in-to-wal-mart-building/