PDA

View Full Version : Starting Off-Road Motorcycle Training School, looking for suggestions

dmillier
25 January 2014, 2159
Hi, I'm new to the forums. Name is Dave Millier, I'm in Toronto, Canada. I'm in the process of setting up an off-road motorcycle training school, and I want to use electric motorcycles as much as possible to train new riders. I'm looking for suggestions on which off-road motorcycles you would suggest that I consider using for the training. Ideally I'd have a few different size bikes, both for different size riders and for riders with different capabilities. The training would last for a full day, but realistically speaking the students would only use the bikes for 1 to 1.5 hours of actual seat time throughout the day.

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, i'd really love to hear your input, I've looked at a few different bikes so far, but i'm hoping you folks here have some ideas to help point me in the right direction!

Look forward to your insights, thanks in advance!!!

Dave Millier

dmillier
26 January 2014, 0826
Thanks for all the great information Ted, I'll start poring through it today, really appreciate the insight and suggestions!!!

Dave

podolefsky
26 January 2014, 1003
Just to add one more to Ted's list, Zero made the MX into 2013. Also discontinued, unfortunately, but there might be some still out there. There are a few dealers near Toronto you might check.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-mx/2013/

Since you said you'll only be actually riding 1-1.5 hours, see how small a battery you can get away with. There are usually different options. You can save a big chunk of change if you don't need the biggest battery.

dmillier
27 January 2014, 0646
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do some digging on the MX. Looking at the dealer list, I don't see any in Ontario at all, nearest dealer seems to be in Quebec. I recall there was a least one dealer not too far from Toronto last year or the year before, we had a couple of Zeros, including the new Police Bike, in our booth at the Motorcycle Show in 2012, but they don't seem to be a dealer any longer. Unless I'm looking at the wrong list, if you know of others near Toronto, if you could let me know that would be great. I'll also contact Zero directly...

Dave

podolefsky
27 January 2014, 0921
Their dealer locator (http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/locator/) says there's one in Oakville, and one Mitchell. Also one across the border in Fairport, near Rochester.

Ted's right, though, Harlan is a really good contact. If anyone could help you out it's him.