PDA

View Full Version : Using your tools as a Plasma experiment....

EVcycle
25 September 2010, 0330
Kids, Do NOT try this at home!

I have had the blinding experience of attempting to use a tool or two as a welding instrument, a
poorly made fuse and even a unexpected starter of a very bright light show.

http://74.52.154.242/~etracing/EV%20tools%20002a.JPG

Wrap them tools!!!! Electrical tape, shrink wrap, anything dielectric. Even wearing gloves makes sense.

http://74.52.154.242/~etracing/EV%20tools%20001a.JPG

A Trip to the hospital is no way to start you weekend!

EV Ed

teddillard
25 September 2010, 0344
hmmm. Lots of electrical safety tips this morning, Ed. Should we be reading between the lines here? Have a shocking experience this week? :D

Seriously, though, this is a great tip, thanks!

markcycle
25 September 2010, 0435
Excellent tip and from one who works on E Motorcycles almost every day one of the most important safety tip I've seen the plasma show enough to know.

BaldBruce
25 September 2010, 1308
A great reminder Ed. If you are working around batteries, please follow the great advice of wrapping all tools so they are not conducive. Also analyze the spacing of the conductive portions of your tool. I have made a nice light show because I used a really large crescent wrench(too lazy to get the proper socket!). Handle was insulated from the OEM, but the head was large enough to cross the distance between two adjacent battery terminals!:eek:

GUFF
25 September 2010, 1328
Great pics Ed. Is that Heatshrink on the tools?. I take the extra precaution of wearing two pairs of latex gloves and I usually cover nearby battery terminals to the one that I am working on with clean/dry shop rags.

eronsilva
05 October 2010, 1134
There is a nice detail on Ed's tools: they do not look all greasy... another advantage of going electric, isn't it?

EVcycle
05 October 2010, 1256
Great pics Ed. Is that Heatshrink on the tools?. I take the extra precaution of wearing two pairs of latex gloves and I usually cover nearby battery terminals to the one that I am working on with clean/dry shop rags.

Yes, Most is heat shrink. If it does not fit the shape I have some fancy eletrical tape that will stay where you put it....

:)

billmi
05 October 2010, 1308
I remember you mentioning that tape before, Ed. What's the name of it again?

EVcycle
05 October 2010, 1524
3M Scotch 33+ Professional Grade Vinyl Electrical Tape

Premium grade 7-mil tape that applies well at 0F/-18C and has an operating temperature up to 220°F / 105°C. Flame retardant, hot and cold weather resistant, Super 33+ resists UV rays, abrasion, moisture, alkalies, acids,and corrosion. Use as a primary insulation for wire up to 600V. Size 3/4" x 66'

BaldBruce
05 October 2010, 1544
33+ is the electician's "standard" tape. Every one who works on wiring for a living uses it. I once had an electrician throw the cheaper stuff back at me because he refused to work with anything else!

EVcycle
05 October 2010, 1636
Some peoples “Fancy” Is other peoples “standard” .;)