PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist magazine does an electric issue

Richard230
30 September 2010, 1804
This afternoon I received my November 2010 issue of Motorcyclist magazine. You will want to buy a copy of this issue as it is all about electric motorcycles. It covers the Brammo, Roehr, Mavizen, Mission and Motoczysz, as well as electric motorcycle racing.

While I have not read the issue yet, a major article is a 7-page, in-depth road test and comparison of the Brammo Enertia and the Zero S. Here are just some specifications of these two bikes from the article:

The Enertia weighs 332 pounds; makes 15.3 bhp @ 3125 rpm and 41.0 lb-ft of torque at 925 rpm; it covered the ľ mile in 20.8 seconds at 60.1 mph; 0-60 time is 19.6 seconds; maximum range is 34 miles, while minimum range is 20 miles; top speed is 65 mph with a 175 pound rider on board.

The Zero S weighs 282 pounds; makes 20.5 bhp @ 2150 rpm and 52.9 lb-ft of torque at 575 rpm; it covered the ľ mile in 19.2 seconds at 63.9 mph; 0-60 time is 11.9 seconds; maximum range is 38 miles, while minimum range is 19 miles; top speed is 75 mph with a 175 pound rider on board.

I am really impressed with the coverage of electric motorcycles in this traditional IC magazine, especially as I donít believe they get much (if any) advertising revenue from electric motorcycle manufacturers. I can only assume that they believe electric motorcycles are exciting, interesting and represent a reasonable portion of the future of motorcycling. It will be interesting to see what sort of feedback they receive from their readers next month.

A-Bomb
30 September 2010, 1927
Cool. That means I should be getting mine too. They covered a bunch of electrics around this time last year too.

It will be interesting to see what sort of feedback they receive from their readers next month.

With those 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I'm guessing most of the feedback will be negative. Maybe the Empulse will perform much better, I was hoping they'd have a test of it. It will be the usual "that much money for a bike that slow? I can by a used Busa for $4000 that does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds" type coments.

I saw some feedback on some electric MC YouTube videos recently and I had to laugh. Some of these guys saying "I'll never ride an electric bike" or that "they'll never be as fast as an ICE bike". A lot of people have no idea what is coming... About 90% efficiency of electric compared to about 25% efficiency of ICE. That's the only thing you need to know and you don't have to do the math to figure that it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN electrics WILL be quicker than ICE bikes.

Richard230
04 October 2010, 1537
I just finished reading the November issue of Motorcyclist magazine and I was very impressed with the depth of their coverage of the electric motorcycle scene. They rode and reviewed just about every production motorcycle on the market and even some that are not here yet - such as the 2011Mission One. They rode the Roehr eSuperbike, Mavizen TTX02, reviewed Michael Czysz and the E1PC in detail, provided a riding impression of the Piaggio MP3 300ie Hybrid (they didn't think much of this three-wheel scooter), and covered the Werkstatt and Lightning racers. Also, they did a complete road test of the Brammo Enertia and Zero S - which included some interesting observations regarding the performance and quality of both vehicles. Finally, they included an article about riding the Zero DS up to the top of the 13,114 foot high Imogene Pass and riding the Zero S on Colorado's Million Dollar Highway. I consider that very complete coverage of electric motorcycles in a traditional IC motorcycle magazine.

One vehicle that was not mentioned anywhere though, was the Electric Motorsport GPR-S/Native GPR-S. Nothing new there, I guess.

roehrcycleguy
04 October 2010, 1655
"acceleration is surprisingly strong - not far behind a modern 600cc supersport."

" Our brief, 15 mile test ride in mixed conditions-including a few full-throttle blasts to an indicated 120 mph-consumed 18 percent of available energy."

" Roehr's eSuperBike is the closest we've ridden yet, with credible performance, reasonable range and realistic pricing, given the current state of electric motorcycle technology."

For 2011, the eSuperbike will feature an upgraded 9.6Kwh battery pack for even more range.

jazclrint
04 October 2010, 2159
Motorcyclist is a motorcycling magazine, and motorcycles are motorcycles no matter how they are propelled. It's how they ride that matters. Motorcyclist is a credible magazine, and it doesn't surprise me at all they did good and thorough tests.

roehrcycleguy
10 October 2010, 1927
For those of you who haven't had a chance to pickup the latest issue of Motorcyclist Magazine, and read about the Roehr eSuperBike First Ride, below is a link to the article.

http://www.roehrmotorcycles.com/PDF/Motorcyclist.pdf

jazclrint
10 October 2010, 1935
Yeah, I got one at Wal-mart the other day. I'd be looking much harder at the eSupersport. But the looks are just a bit off for me. My Architect boss (who owns the music store I work at) started critiquing the lines the second I flipped to that page. I think the general consensus is less clothes more skin. BUT, at least I can buy a Roehr right now. It was a really good right up! You guys should be proud! If I had $16k I'd have to chose between a VFR1200F, Aprillia RSV4, or eSupersport. It's a tough choice.

roehrcycleguy
10 October 2010, 2008
We are working on some minor cosmetic tweaks for the new 2011 models, which will remove some bulk out of the lower fairing area.

electrician
10 October 2010, 2049
One vehicle that was not mentioned anywhere though, was the Electric Motorsport GPR-S/Native GPR-S. Nothing new there, I guess.
Maybe a few letters to the editor? I'll write one.

Richard230
11 October 2010, 0756
Maybe a few letters to the editor? I'll write one.

I should do the same. I was thinking of doing this upon finishing reading the issue - and then the weather got better and my short term memory deleted the thought.

electrician
11 October 2010, 0848
I am going to buy the mag on Tuesday 12th, then I will write the letter. EMS is a true entrepreneurial EV company, getting no government funds - I like that!

Richard230
11 October 2010, 1523
Here is the text of the letter that I just sent to Motorcyclist magazine:

I want to thank you for your excellent and timely November issue featuring electric motorcycles. You covered the subject in depth and reviewed just about every electric motorcycle currently available in the US. But you did miss one. That would be the Electric Motorsport (now Native) GPR-S. I believe this motorcycle was the first production DOT freeway-legal motorcycle to be offered for sale in the US. I own a sepex D&D motor (with regenerative braking) version of the GPR-S that I purchased from the Electric Green Showroom in San Carlos, California last year. It has very similar performance to what you reported for the Brammo Enertia. The GPR-S chassis is made in Thailand by a company called Tiger to Electric Motorsport’s specifications and shipped to Oakland, California, where it is converted to electric power by EMS using off-the-shelf components. On my bike, the batteries are made in China, the motor in the US and the controller in England. Attached is a photo of my GPR-S.

electrician
11 October 2010, 1542
Great letter. After I buy the mag tomorrow, I will compose a letter and post it here and of course send it to Motorcyclist.

A-Bomb
11 October 2010, 1634
I was pleasantly suprised to see lots of positive remarks. It's because they've been covering electrics and Cycle World hasn't so much that keeps me subscribing to MotorCyclist. I wrote a letter last year when they had an electric issue, it didn't get published though.

electrician,
Might I suggest an elmoto.net mention in your letter to advise those interested of a good place to learn more? That would be cool.

Of course, I could write my own, but I can't see myself taking the time right now.

Mr. Roehr,
Congrats on the coverage and great review. Of course I've seen you get coverage before with your V-Rod engined sport bike. Hopefully, you'll get some business out of it. I'd love to see a review of your most economical model. If anybody else does one, please let us know.

roehrcycleguy
11 October 2010, 1827
Mr. Roehr,
Congrats on the coverage and great review. Of course I've seen you get coverage before with your V-Rod engined sport bike. Hopefully, you'll get some business out of it. I'd love to see a review of your most economical model. If anybody else does one, please let us know.

Thanks A-Bomb, we are hoping as well.
Being intimately familiar with the eSuperSport, I can tell you that it's a wonderful bike to ride. Granted, it doesn't have the arm pulling acceleration of the eSuperBike, but manages to accelerate quit well, just as a 48Hp 395 lb bike would. It has a sporting but comfortable riding position, and is very composed at speed, with good brakes and comfortable and controlled suspension.
The bike is very capable of traveling at highway speeds with enough power for safe highway passing maneuvers. Acceleration does fall off over 80 mph to it's 100 mph top speed.
I should note that we offer optional battery capacities of 6,8. and 10Kwh. So customers can configure their bike to suit their needs. You can email us for pricing info on the optional capacities.

electrician
12 October 2010, 1715
Here is the text of the letter I sent to Motorcyclist mag:

I applaud you for your electric motorcycle issue in November. It was very well done and informative. My only criticism is that you omitted one of the pioneer players in the electric motorcycle world. Electic Motorsports of Oakland, California has been in the electric motorcycle business for 10 years. Their Native electric motorcycle piloted by rider Chris Heath was the first electric motorcycle to complete the legendary Isle of Man TT in June 2009. It hit 100 mph on the Isle of Man Jurby Course.

Electric Motorsports supplies parts to the hobbyist who want to build their own electric motorcycle as well as selling kits and full street legal motorcycle, under the brand name Native, for purchase. Their Native GPR-S is equal in performance to the Brammo Enertia and the Zero motorcycle. Plus their motorcycles are built modularly, so that they can be upwardly expandable when new batteries, motors and the needs of the owner change. The electric Native GPR-S with Lithium batteries MSRP $8000.

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_motorcycles.php

Richard230
12 October 2010, 1757
Good letter Electrician. It will be interesting to see what letters they will print regarding their el moto issue.

ElMotoMike
13 October 2010, 2010
Thanks Electrician for sending that letter off. I just got my magazine yesterday and havent had a chance to go through it yet.

Richard230
04 December 2010, 1853
I received my January 2011 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine today (my how time flies) and the feedback of their electric motorcycle issue has hit their MC Mail section on page 30. The letters, at least the ones that were printed, were generally positive. :) Electrician's (Bob Leone) letter made the cut, as did mine. They even printed a photo of my GPR-S. (I hope EMS appreciates it.) Seven letters were printed.

The first letter was from Eddie Cruz of San Antonio, TX. Eddie said that he liked the concept of electric motorcycles, but would prefer to keep his IC bikes.
Mark Kaplan was blown away by the depth of their coverage and felt that electric motorcycles were the wave of the future, but was concerned about their lack of noise and that he might get "gonad cancer" from riding one. :eek: Al Smith III is a "firm and enthusiastic supporter of the traction toward greener pastures". :rolleyes: Daniel Fontaine of Dover, NH felt that "electric motorcycles will stay novelties for quite some time". :rolleyes: John Lacko wished that more of the issue's pages were devoted to the Roehr e-bike, instead of Michael Czysz's exploits, who he describes as being a "technological lab-rat" who is "waiting for someone to buy him out". :O

And so there you have it. All in all not too bad in the way of responses and no real flaming going on. :)

DaveAK
04 December 2010, 2005
Well I guess it's a trade off between gonad cancer and getting them burned on the muffler.

chef
04 December 2010, 2058
Glad you guys wrote letters to them about EMS. Always good to have more accurate historical reference.

In 5 yrs we'll look back and see whether the elmoto optimists or pessimists were right. All it takes is a few game changers to hit the tipping point. The Empulse could be the beginning of that transition. Hope Brammo can deliver on its promises. Interesting times ahead.

Richard230
05 December 2010, 0806
I agree chef. :)

markcycle
05 December 2010, 1130
Glad you guys wrote letters to them about EMS. Always good to have more accurate historical reference.

In 5 yrs we'll look back and see whether the elmoto optimists or pessimists were right. All it takes is a few game changers to hit the tipping point. The Empulse could be the beginning of that transition. Hope Brammo can deliver on its promises. Interesting times ahead.

Large marketing budgets (relative to what EMS and others like EnerTrac have) don't make good product, good engineering makes good product. Small companies that produce good products working on a small budget need our help. We should be the voice of those companies and help them get there message out.

Why one may ask:
Well for a selfish reason if said small company stays in business then you get continued support on your past purchases
Marketing budgets shouldn't determine who succeeds in the marketplace.
Companies shouldn't have to beg up to Venture Capital groups lose control over there products just so they can have a marketing budget.

Grass root efforts are just so cool to watch grow and take on a life of there own from people who use and love the products they purchase. Independent of TV adds and high priced video's and flashy ladies.

The best of course is you use it, talk to the company, help them make it better and help them sell it. You get to feel like you are part of a community, a happening and if it also creates jobs and makes for a better world double fantastic.

Mark

Skeezmour
05 December 2010, 1319
Well put mark. We at Manzanita. Micro are in much the same position. We have been in th EV business for better than 14 years and apart from a couple of large customers the rest of our volume goes to the small diy builders.
I would always love to hear requests for new products or features we can add to our line up. Our equipment is all designed and manufactured in the pacific north west.
I'm also a big beleaver in trying to help those that are more about building a great product and providing great customer support then just who is cheapest.

electrician
06 December 2010, 0956
I am just glad to see that the IC motorcyclist is finally noticing the e-bikes now.
E-bikes are the future of motorcycle riding: non-polluting, less noise, no gas, speed and fun!
The only problem, that will be overcome eventually, is range.

ZoomSmith
06 December 2010, 2120
Just got my issue of Motorcyclist. Great job Richard and Electrician!!!

Nuts & Volts
02 February 2011, 1518
^^^dont think he's one of us :) :)