PDA

View Full Version : Hello from JHB, South Africa

kingr
09 July 2015, 1152
Hello. My name is kingr all the way from Johannesburg, South Africa. I'm a Capetonian, just living in Joburg at the moment.

I've purchased a 2007 Hyosung GT250R as a donor for my ev conversion. My goal with this project is to gain experience in various aspects of automotive engineering. I'm very passionate about technology, cars/bikes & software development. I work professionally as a software developer, I have experience building ice drag cars & play around with hobby electronics in my spare time.

Goals/Details

Motor: Either Agni95r/me1003
Controller: Will depend on the motor setup I go with
Batteries: Not sure
System Voltage: 72v/96v
Charger: Not sure
DC/DC Converter: Not sure
Instrumentation: A web browser running a touch screen. A Raspberry Pi will drive the screen and consume all the data from an Arduino(middleware). Data coming from the arduino will be all the vitals(soc, amps, range, indicators) you need to know & will be displayed in a rich UI. I will use a Node.js server to send data via Socket.io to the touch screen(browser). I will use Angular.js for the UI, Html5 & CSS3 for the animation of the gauges. For the UI I'm getting inspiration from all my favorite cars like the m3, Lamborghini & Pagani. I still need to design the interface.

Top Speed: 120 kph and up is desired

Additional Features: I plan to create a keyless start system. I plan to install a solenoid to to open the boot keylessly. I plan to create different riding modes(if
the controller allows). I have a long wish-list of nice to have's, but will be happy if I can get just get the bike riding.

The donor
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/72kf/2A4255CE-32F4-4D63-9C9C-E7B3D86ECA60_zpsczea2h04.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/72kf/media/2A4255CE-32F4-4D63-9C9C-E7B3D86ECA60_zpsczea2h04.jpg.html)

tylerwatts
10 July 2015, 1237
Howzit bru. I'm new round here too. Looks like a good start for your conversion.

Why the DC motors? Where do you plan to mount it? I worry that the 250 frames don't have space for enough batteries with a motor in the way.

Look up Enertrac hub motor. Similar price, but loads of room for batteries and strong performance! Remember everything is far away in SA...

Tyler

04 B5.5 dark grey 1.9PD, manual, standard.

Electro Flyers
10 July 2015, 1729
Hotso Endate- I worked in Lesotho and Botswana 30+ years ago, and really enjoyed living and working with the people in your part of the world. First impressions on your bike choice: Make sure replacement and repair parts are available. Mostly brake and suspension parts. It's a shame to do a conversion and get hung up on trying to find caliper parts, etc. The frame and bodywork on this bike is quite narrow- it will be difficult to stuff in a lot of batteries for the maximum range and/or speed. Although the frame does appear to be made of steel- generally easier to add to and modify than aluminum.

As TW mentioned, as a smaller lighter bike, yours is a better candidate for a hub motor. This would free up more space for batts. The hub motor people seem to get into trouble when they choose too heavy a bike or add more batteries and weight than initially planned.

The huge gas tank/air box gives you a lot of protected area for the electronics.

Welcome and good luck!

kingr
12 July 2015, 0453
Howzit bru. I'm new round here too. Looks like a good start for your conversion.

Why the DC motors? Where do you plan to mount it? I worry that the 250 frames don't have space for enough batteries with a motor in the way.

Look up Enertrac hub motor. Similar price, but loads of room for batteries and strong performance! Remember everything is far away in SA...

Tyler

04 B5.5 dark grey 1.9PD, manual, standard.

Only reason I chose DC is the price. Appears cheaper to do a dc conversion compared to ac. Are there any ac motors you would suggest I use?

kingr
12 July 2015, 0456
Hotso Endate- I worked in Lesotho and Botswana 30+ years ago, and really enjoyed living and working with the people in your part of the world. First impressions on your bike choice: Make sure replacement and repair parts are available. Mostly brake and suspension parts. It's a shame to do a conversion and get hung up on trying to find caliper parts, etc. The frame and bodywork on this bike is quite narrow- it will be difficult to stuff in a lot of batteries for the maximum range and/or speed. Although the frame does appear to be made of steel- generally easier to add to and modify than aluminum.

As TW mentioned, as a smaller lighter bike, yours is a better candidate for a hub motor. This would free up more space for batts. The hub motor people seem to get into trouble when they choose too heavy a bike or add more batteries and weight than initially planned.

The huge gas tank/air box gives you a lot of protected area for the electronics.

Welcome and good luck!

SA is quite friendly place, agreed. JHB is probably the friendliest city in SA. I will look into hub motors. Currently my motorcycle is complete, so I don't need any spares to complete the bike. I do understand the cons of choosing such a rare bike as a donor. I received free suspension components from the seller, so I do have some spares.

Here's a pic of the bike without the fairing & engine. Will give you some idea what the space looks like.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/72kf/79018506-7A42-4CD6-876D-81464A741D7A_zpszjf8qqmy.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/72kf/media/79018506-7A42-4CD6-876D-81464A741D7A_zpszjf8qqmy.jpg.html)

Thanks for the welcome guys. Much appreciated.

tylerwatts
13 July 2015, 0409
Kingr I mentioned a motor to use. Otherwise lots of Chinese ac motors and hub motors and their quality is improving significantly so good stuff.

Tyler

kingr
13 July 2015, 1321
Kingr I mentioned a motor to use. Otherwise lots of Chinese ac motors and hub motors and their quality is improving significantly so good stuff.

Tyler

Ah I misread. A friend of mine is planning on using the Enertrac motor for he's next conversion. So I will look in to that suggestion.

I'm not so sure about the quality of the Chinese products. We've experienced poor quality in controllers from Golden Motors and have a few broken ones laying around. I'm abit skeptic to experiment further with Chinese products.

zerous
13 July 2015, 1545
Have you considered to install motor on swing like el ninja did so you can use more space for batteries?

Your swing seems to be rectangular.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0654/4599/products/1_f2f8d602-19bf-4bf3-b5d2-5ad0ebf01896_large.jpeg?v=1411828120

Higher voltage, less amps and higher RPM...

kingr
14 July 2015, 1142
zerous thanks for this suggestion, I will look into it.

tylerwatts
15 July 2015, 0043
I would agree with mounting on the swingarm. But not like in the picture. I'd try to mount it as far forward and underneath the swingarm as possible. Depends on the shock and clearance for the chain or belt drive.

Tyler