PDA

View Full Version : Etek Motor Originals

Lionstrike
07 October 2010, 1442
Stupid question #.... ah heck.. I forgot what I am up to now.

So I have been doing a bit more research and it appears that I might be able to get one of the Etek originals from Brigg's and Stratton for a reasonable cost.

But from what I can tell, folks have mixed feelings about them. I did a brief walkthrough through EVablum.com and found out that some folks blew up a few of them. At a couple hundred bucks a pop, I'd like not to have them die on me.

Another person said that if they run CCW, they "self destruct." That doesn't leave me with a good feeling either. I intend to run it CCW.

Still yet another site mentioned something about a "low inductance" that caused the controller to think that it's a short circuit and fry the controller. I'd like to have that not happen too. I am using a Curtis 24-48 volt 275 amp controller, and even though I got it from Ebay on the SUPER CHEAP, I'd like not the throw money away.

Any opinions all?

EVcycle
08 October 2010, 1639
Since no one has piped up...... The Original ETEKs are not at strong as the new and improved Mars version.
I have run The Mars version both CW and CCW with no issues.

Ed

Lionstrike
08 October 2010, 2004
Since no one has piped up...... The Original ETEKs are not at strong as the new and improved Mars version.
I have run The Mars version both CW and CCW with no issues.

Ed

Thanks for the response Ed. Odd thing is... I've heard folks say the opposite too, and that they are still available on some sites for like $600. I figured that since they were more expensive there must be something awesome in there somewhere. Guess not.

Thanks man.

Malcolm
11 October 2010, 0339
I've been using an original Etek on my bike for a few years, on and off: http://www.evalbum.com/1161. I've only covered around 1500 miles in that time as I recently rebuilt the bike. The motor is running counterclockwise and the first set of brushes are almost worn out now. Otherwise I've had no problems with the motor. The current limit is set at 250-300A, as I'm more interested in durability than performance. During the rebuild I also rotated the magnet plates a few millimetres in an attempt to advance the timing and reduce brush wear. It's too soon to say if this has made any difference yet. If you can get this motor cheap I'd recommend it, but get a spare set of brushes (or two) at the same time.

EVcycle
11 October 2010, 0352
@ Malcolm - What is your total amp hours of the pack?

EVcycle
11 October 2010, 0400
Thanks for the response Ed. Odd thing is... I've heard folks say the opposite too, and that they are still available on some sites for like $600. I figured that since they were more expensive there must be something awesome in there somewhere. Guess not.

Thanks man.

I have heard a few good stories as well, but some real horror ones too. My concern is really getting what you pay for since there were several different versions out there. There was a "Super ETEK" that was built from some project and many of them ended up in some warehouse. That might be a cool one to get, but how could you tell?

Malcolm
11 October 2010, 0444
@ Malcolm - What is your total amp hours of the pack?
Just 2.25 kWh (30Ah x 75V). More would be nice, but I like to keep things light.

Lionstrike
11 October 2010, 0842
"Super ETEK" LOL. Sounds like it has magical powers or something.

I did get it, cost me about $275 which fits comfortably within my price range. I got it off of Ebay and the seller sent me a couple of videos of it spinning and working.

I think the ones that you're referring to were the "Manta Motor" ones sold on Ebay. The usually go for about $350. As I am to understand it, they were Etek motors that they tried to use for wind generators out in California. That didn't work, so they reconditioned the lot of them and sold them as "manta motors."

EVcycle
11 October 2010, 0852
Great!

Please keep us posted on the progress. It is always better to get an up to date first hand opinion.

Ed

The Mars version in action....Fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6M94xUqS0s

Lionstrike
11 October 2010, 0910
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

If I can get ANYWHERE NEAR that kind of power from this Etek, I will be a happy man.

Tony Coiro
11 October 2010, 1048
I use an Etek RT on mine, CCW rotation. Fortunately, it hasn't blown up yet, my swing arm motor mount puts the motor directly under my crotch. :D

EVcycle
11 October 2010, 1056
Thats the Mars version. I think he is looking at an orginal ETEK?

Lionstrike
11 October 2010, 1225
Yup. I have a Briggs and Stratton one.

Now I am going back to my motor mount theories and drving myself nuts. My original idea works, but now I am playing with different permutations of it to try to get maximal stability, and make sure it doesn't fly off if a bolt fails.

You know that you're EV addicted when you get up at 4am out of a pleasant dream just to investigate motor mount ideas.