PDA

View Full Version : EV purchase perks

Richard230
11 October 2010, 1447
A long article in my newspaper today, written by Bill Vlasic (say isn't that the name of a pickle?) of the New York Times, details the many perks that buyers of the Nissan Leaf will be getting from a number of sources. These perks include tax credits, rebate checks, personalized home visits, government giveaways (well everyone gets those - right?) and customer service calls from top corporate executives. In addition to the usual $7,500 tax credit, the state of Tennessee is offering a $2,500 cash rebate check for anyone who buys a leaf and the Energy Department is providing a free $3,000 home-charging unit. (Hey, how come I didn't get one of those?)

The article mentions that when one of the people who was interested in buying a Leaf asked a salesman some questions about the car, he received a 40-minute telephone call from a senior manager in Nissan's corporate planning department.

The article says that some cities are offering free public parking and in Tennessee, where the Leaf is being built, owners of the Leaf will be able to charge their vehicles for free at public charging stations along 425 miles of freeways that connect Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Nissan has plans to sell as many as 500,000 electric cars worldwide by 2013.

The Obama administration has made electric vehicles a centerpiece of its drive to reduce the nation's reliance on oil and is pumping up subsidies with a goal of getting 1 million electric cars on the road by 2015.

The chief marketing manager for the Leaf, Trisha Jung, says: "These people are the visionaries who see the opportunity and want to be a part of it. They will be demonstrating every day that this is a practical technology."

jazclrint
11 October 2010, 1829
I'd still prefer a Volt. Or, if I could afford it, just wait for the Tesla S.

There's a city owned 110 plug right outside the Music store I work at. Don't think I haven't thought That'd be a great place to charge a Brammo. :D