PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a motor

DrunkenRainbows
25 June 2018, 1244
Hi there,
I've already converted a bicycle with a 1000w hub motor and that goes great but I'm having trouble deciding what motor to use for my motorcycle conversion.

Basically I'm after a motor that would be able to move about 450kg dry, before stripping of engine and the gubbins and be able to go at least 80mph. I'm not too concerned about the dimensions, there sould be a lot of room. Any help would be appreciated.

Im not necessarily after a specific motor but the specs would be great, or at least some help in figuring that bit out myself which would be nice too :D

Much thanks from Wales UK

frodus
25 June 2018, 1251
Do you want crazy acceleration? or something decent enough to go in and out of traffic safely?

How many volts are you thinking?

What motorcycle chassis?

DrunkenRainbows
25 June 2018, 1608
It would be for a cruiser not sure as to which one yet possible goldwing (lots of space) so not so much crazy acceleration just something that can maintain a constant speed.

From what I understand the voltage is in relation to how much power I want to get out of the motor so could be between 24 and 72 normally probably 52 or 72 I'm thinking.

If it helps any the original bike specs are:
max power at rear wheel - 83.9hp @ 7250rpm
max torque - 77.4 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm
top speed - 151 mph
CORRECTION dry weight - 330kg

im looking for like for like a top speed of 80ish is fine

frodus
25 June 2018, 1723
Something like an AC15 or AC20 from HPEVS or a Sevcon with Motenergy 1507 would be pretty good. If you have room, there's an ME1616.

What is the overall budget?

Spectastic
26 June 2018, 0015
i have a sv650, with similar specs that you describe, and i'm looking for a similar conversion. While I haven't done a whole lot of digging, it appears that me1003 and ac20 are two popular options among diy-ers. me1003 is good bang for the buck, but it lacks top end, and power drops off drastically past 50 mph. ac20 has good torque (high 60s low 70s for a 72V 550A system), but its top end might be around 100 mph, with a ~45 hp top end. but the torque is instantaneous, and you'll get good acceleration for normal riding. kind of expensive though..

frodus
26 June 2018, 0741
Controller, harness and Controller programmed for an ME1507/Sevcon Gen4 would run right around $2200 plus shipping. I think the AC20 runs between $2700 and $3500 depending on the controller you get.

For this power level, there's not really any motor and controller packages that will easily fit on a bike, in the sub-$3500 budget.

Stevo
26 June 2018, 0904
I can sell you a ME1003 and AXE7245 controller for $1000 but it wont get you to 80 mph.

Nicman
26 June 2018, 0947
Why not? I have that combo right now and with 17T front and 65T Rear I max at 80mph. 2008 ninja 250r. I'm a big boy at 240 lbs and I think the bike is about 350lbs. been meaning to finally weight it.

Nicman
26 June 2018, 0948
my pick for controller is something like this.
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=48

twice the price of some great controllers, but this gives you the ability to upgrade motors and pack voltages if you ever upgrade.

frodus
26 June 2018, 1012
my pick for controller is something like this.
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=48

twice the price of some great controllers, but this gives you the ability to upgrade motors and pack voltages if you ever upgrade.

They're not really supported anymore, is the issue. EVWest likely bought a bunch and is supporting them, and they're a super company to work with. Just saying that Soliton is no more.

Also, they're for brushed motors, which is fine. Lots of power though, these things are built tough.

EV_Scoot
26 June 2018, 2332
be able to move about 450kg dry. be able to go at least 80mph
Um, I'm no science geek but the shear physics involved in moving that mass at that speed wouldn't be doable at any kind of sensible feasible budget.
I've delayed my project because I thought the ME0913 or ME1115 wouldn't be powerful enough to get me any kind of decent acceleration to warrant the price of everything and effort involved.
Not saying it can't be done.The more weight you're pulling at speed requires more current. More current, more expensive controllers, larger wiring and larger contactors as associated paraphernalia.

Perhaps you could use dual motor setup. It's up to you. It's only my two cents. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.

DrunkenRainbows
27 June 2018, 0748
I understand motors in the way of using as generators but when it comes to what they can move and how fast i'm clueless.
To be fair something that weight is probably a bit of a stretch considering the space constraints and probably wouldn't have a great distance on it either.
Thanks for all the suggestions though, I've got them saved with the specs so when the time does come I can look again and see what's around. Maybe i'll start with a smaller scooter first.

Stevo
27 June 2018, 0914
Why not? I have that combo right now and with 17T front and 65T Rear I max at 80mph. 2008 ninja 250r. I'm a big boy at 240 lbs and I think the bike is about 350lbs. been meaning to finally weight it.

You have to "give" to get. I didn't want to give up too much acceleration and grunt at the bottom end. And I have space constraints on the sprocket sizes that I can use due to chain clearance past the swingarm pivot/frame. No biggie, I've moved on to bigger better badder!:p

I understand motors in the way of using as generators but when it comes to what they can move and how fast i'm clueless.
To be fair something that weight is probably a bit of a stretch considering the space constraints and probably wouldn't have a great distance on it either.
Thanks for all the suggestions though, I've got them saved with the specs so when the time does come I can look again and see what's around. Maybe i'll start with a smaller scooter first.

I think most of us were clueless on our first builds... I know that I was. With each build you earn experience, which is priceless (actually quite expensive!) But a good education isn't cheap, Is it?

Personally, I've been at this for 7+ years and I've seen lots of changes as far as what technology is available for the DIY'er market. Things keep improving at a pretty rapid pace. I don't blame you for wanting to wait for prices to come down, because they will and have. Batteries as well as drive components. This stuff just keeps getting better. But by waiting, your putting off the experience of building. My 2 cents!:cool:

Nicman
28 June 2018, 0828
You have to "give" to get. I didn't want to give up too much acceleration and grunt at the bottom end. And I have space constraints on the sprocket sizes that I can use due to chain clearance past the swingarm pivot/frame. No biggie, I've moved on to bigger better badder!:p

You sure did. Bike looks great BTW. I looks so slim and lightweight, with a monster motor connected. this thing will be scary.

Stevo
28 June 2018, 0908
Testing should commence relatively soon... scary fast is what I'm hoping for!! Getting the harness finished now and hopefully get the battbox welded up this weekend.
It is very narrow for now, but the battbox will add girth to it unfortunately. I cant wait for the next gen of batteries to come our way... it will be ALL GOOD!

jazclrint
24 December 2018, 0003
They are still selling these motors? I would have thought things would have evolved a bit on the last 10 years.

Ted Dillard
24 December 2018, 0501
...trying to figure out exactly which motor you're talking about, but I'm going to assume the Motenergy brushed PMDC motors?

At any rate, yes, stuff has evolved a lot, but these still pack a great punch for the money. I still have my ME1004/AXE7245, and it's a beast.

...maybe though you're thinking the AC20 type? Still, a beast for the money.

jazclrint
27 December 2018, 2223
I was general in my comment, because I was speaking generally. But every motor model number mentioned was shockingly familiar. I was very much surprised to see the same model numbers being recommended that were 6-7-8 years ago. More shocked that I recognized them and they were still rattling around in this old brain, really.

Ted Dillard
28 December 2018, 0636
Ah, gotcha. It isn't so much that stuff hasn't evolved, it's more that the old standards are still around. By any metric, a lot of them are still good choices when you balance the cost, performance, weight, support - all that stuff.

YASA, Emrax, Remy - they're all still pretty pricey, mounting and support is a little tough if you're a garage builder. Also, the voltage ranges start up in the 350V neighborhood if you want to get the maximum benefit out of the investment - not a comfortable range for your first build by any stretch.

Besides all that, electric motor tech is remarkably evolved already. In the book, I talk about motor history, and electric motors account for about 40% of all electric energy consumption, and motors have been in development since the early 1900s. We're at a place now where it's just a matter of adaplting what we already know to EV applications.

Dai
04 February 2019, 2351
Hello All,

I'm also looking to choose a motor and controller to convert a road bike to Electric
I'm looking to convert a Yamaha R6 or Honda CBR600
I want something that is going to perform similar to the original engine
I've been looking at the Motenergy ME1616 as they are reasonably priced, 144v 250 AMP 77hp Peak
Another option is the AC20 kit, 96v 650A 50 hp 75 FT/lbs RPM7500 for similar money

The Kits have very different specifications:

144v & 250 Amp vrs 96V 650 Amp

How does this affect overall performance?

mindowgas
16 August 2019, 0752
Hey, I have a brand new Emrax 228 Medium Voltage combined cooling, here is some reference motor info: https://emrax.com/products/emrax-228/
I bought it for my electric project but never got to use it. If interested the price is $4500.
I also have the Bamocar motor controller that is suitable for this motor the price for controller is $5500.

The motor is capable of delivering 100kW peak power and 230Nm peak torque, and it weighs only 12.3 kg.