PDA

View Full Version : Another Mission Motorcycles Article

Richard230
02 November 2010, 0812
For a company that hasn't sold any motorcycles yet (that I have heard of), they sure do a good job of getting their message to the press (unlike another EV manufacturer that comes to mind). Read the short article here:

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/news/mission-motors-off-the-racing-grid

EVcycle
02 November 2010, 0855
Lets hope it is not another "ZAP" fiasco......

jpanichella
02 November 2010, 0909
I'm sure Mission has a ton of capital behind what they're doing. Their bike was designed by one of the more well known industrial designers in the industry, and they have a nice flashy website, but it seems more and more like vapor to me. Who the heck is going to spend that much on a motorcycle anyway?

cycleguy
02 November 2010, 1038
This is the typical venture capital fishing expedition. Start with a few investors, create a bunch of hype, then plan to go public within 3 years to land major venture capital.
Venture capitalists prefer not to invest in start-ups and wait until the company is 3 -5 years old with plans on going public within the next 2 years. This way, they can get a quick return on their investment and cash out with public money.
Building an actual product is not even on the agenda until they accumulate a war chest of Wall St. money, at which point they will move to China or India to set up shop.

jazclrint
02 November 2010, 1417
Really? I just applied for an assembly technician position with them.

cycleguy
02 November 2010, 1552
Really? I just applied for an assembly technician position with them.

I'm not saying that they are not making anything, they will most likely have some contract work and maybe even assemble a few bikes, but they certainly aren't ramping up to mass produce bikes, otherwise they would be building a factory and hiring hundreds. I maintain, that once they do go public, Wall St. money will force them to move out of the country, just like they forced A123 to manufacture in China.

jazclrint
02 November 2010, 1650
But I don't want to move to China. :D

chef
02 November 2010, 1846
It'll build character, kinda like that kid in the Karate Kid remake. Except they don't do karate in China (karate is a Japanese form). But you'll be alright, nobody will say anything if you go over there and try to do karate :P

Look on the bright side, if they pay you US wages, you could live like a king there. Food is 1/10 the cost and is way better, and other costs like room & board are cheaper.

cycleguy
02 November 2010, 1953
Don't worry, it's not the end of the world, think about it as a new beginning in the land of opportunity. In fact, there are many American immigrant neighborhoods there featuring authentic American cuisine (McDonalds) and most street signs and menus are now also written in English. Americans looking for work and opportunity are now the fastest growing immigrant group in China, you'll feel right at home, and don't worry, the rest of your friends and family will be joining you there soon enough.

Richard230
03 November 2010, 0753
I hear that the air is a bit thick in China, though. Living might be cheap, but you might not live as long if you work in an industrial city. Better bring your own oxygen tank when you move there.

jazclrint
03 November 2010, 1129
It'll build character, kinda like that kid in the Karate Kid remake. Except they don't do karate in China (karate is a Japanese form). But you'll be alright, nobody will say anything if you go over there and try to do karate :P

Look on the bright side, if they pay you US wages, you could live like a king there. Food is 1/10 the cost and is way better, and other costs like room & board are cheaper.

I would just like to point out that in the remake, the Kid learned Kung-Fu.

But cheap food sounds good to me!